Americans say goodbye to more brands - Surprising Closures

So what? Covid expedited the change to online retail that had  been underway years earlier. Many of the retail outlets for Rite Aid, CVS, Macy's, Walmart are in  locations that have not been profitable for years. Walgreens had stores within 500 meters of each other.  There was no need. Red Lobster and Applebees had been mismanaged and offered a dining experience that had not kept up with the times. It was all processed food, much of it frozen and then heated or microwaved on premises. Blooming Brands is closing some locations, not all and it makes sense why; The majority of these restaurants were older assets with leases from the '90s and early 2000s.  The decision "considered a variety of factors" including sales and traffic-trade areas, in addition to "the investment that would have to be made to improve the restaurants," according to Nation's Restaurant News.  Parent company Bloomin' Brands announced during a February earnings call that they expect to nearly triple the number of Outback openings in the United States this year compared to 2023. Since six new Outback restaurants opened in America last year, that means up to 18 additional locations could begin serving customers in 2024.

There is the doom and gloom nonsensical stories from TikTok, and then there are upbeat stories like this;   https://www.eatthis.com/fastest-growing-restaurant-chains-2024/    

https://nrf.com/research-insights/top-retailers/hot-25-retailers/2024-hot-25-retailers-list

Adapt to changing consumer preferences or lose the customers.

Well this all tied in to the death of the Mall.

The restaurants well more a case of corporate incompetence, especially in the case of Red Lobster.

But I have to admit I haven't been in a mall for years, and gotta admit I much prefer buying online pretty preferable to traipsing around a mall

Just for sport, here are some of the stores, restaurants etc that have closed or become irrelevant or barely hangin on in my lifetime

B. Altmann

Howard Johnsons

Roy Rodgers

Gimbels

Alexanders

K mart

Crazy Eddie

Sears

Sterns

Boston Market

Abercrombie and Fitch (reborn)

Blockbuster

Horn and Hardart

A&P

I could do more but I just did a bong rip and forgot my name.