Phuket taxi driver hits foreign man on airport zebra crossing

snoop1130

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean this... 

"There will be CCTV all over the airport and so the driver will be easy to identify, but I would be very surprised if he didn't do a runner" ???

If he didnt stop to assist the person he just skittled he will more than likely have done a runner!! Again an indication of Thailands driving standards and the authorities total inadequate response to these situations are the real reason the standards here are so poor! 

1 minute ago, lordgrinz said:

He's probably still at the hospital arguing with the front desk as to how he is going to pay for this.

Talking about hospital I just paid 3000baht in hospital In over 3 daya was training  to do 100 pushup in a day I normally only do 30 not very fit , any way I did not have insurance but even if I did I would have pay excess  first , what is the best way to get insurance from abroad when booking or get from Thailand on arrival the thing about getting from abroad will they accept it if needed to claim 

5 hours ago, Judum said:

The police will catch the drive if not already can't imagine how many CCTv cameras there 

Yes! If they can get their backsides out of their offices.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes! If they can get their backsides out of their offices.

I've never seen the RTP actually working, what exactly do they do all day? I checked and they have the same amount of police as the USA does per 100,000 people, but you never see them doing anything.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nickmondo said:

Thai drivers do not know what a Zebra crossing is, because they are not taught the Highway Code as we are in the Real world.  They dont know what it is.  Same as a red light on a Zebra crossing.......to them its a pretty light that shines 2 colours, red and green.  Take into account also, the Me, me, me attitude of Thais in general.  No one else matters........dont get in my way....especially if you are walking or on 2 wheels.

The use of zebra crossings and roundabouts are very incompatible with Thai drivers and motorbike riders. Yet away from their cars, trucks and motorbikes, most of the time you could not meet more honest, decent, non confrontational people.

• Confused 1

Honestly, foreigners from Western countries come to Thailand and expect that they can step into a cross-walk and, like in Western countries, the cars will automatically stop from them.

That ignorance is deadly and this poor guy just found out.  There should be warning signs at cross-walks in English: "Farang.  If walk in crosswalk car may no stop. Be careful look for car no stop before walk"

It might save injuries and lives.

When I cross in a cross-walk, I look left, I look right, and I look left and right again (I learned that in Kindergarten) even if crossing on a one-way road (Especially if crossing on a one-way road), and then keep my peripheral visions and eyes moving back and forth as I cross. And I don't expect any vehicle to actually stop unless they have actually come to a complete stop, and then I look for the motorcyclists behind the cars/truck to split traffic and come scream through at speed.  That's how you keep from getting killed or injured in a cross-walk.  You don't step out, looking straight ahead, head-high with Western pedistrian arrogance believing that vehicle are actually going to stop for you.  "We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto."  It doesn't work like that here.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

The use of zebra crossings and roundabouts are very incompatible with Thai drivers and motorbike riders. Yet away from their cars, trucks and motorbikes, most of the time you could not meet more honest, decent, non confrontational people.

If you really want to know what is in the hearts of men (and women), place them at the wheel of a vehicle with darkly tinted windows and find out.

5 hours ago, Judum said:

Sadly that's gon a be so biased against you,  but maybe not depends on how your luck is it maybe 80 % against though , hitting a thai is highly probable a motor cyclists forget to turn off indicator,  I've.been a driver for 45 years cars bikes motorcycle vans pcv etc so I always use my common sence , 

True, but the vast majority of Thai people do not have much common sense, and common sense IMO is about 80% a part of driving.

7 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

So the solution is to remove their rights to drive, the safety of the Kingdom should come first.

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

I think they should do away with zebra crossings in Thailand. They are a death trap for anyone who thinks the traffic will stop.

Just imagine you are a stranger driving a car in a typical Thai city, in most cases you may not notice the zebra crossing until you are almost on it. The situation requires the stripped poles with a flashing beacon on top and zig zag lines so drivers will notice it from a distance.

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I've made it a habit of kicking car doors when they try to drive through the Zebra crossing with me in it, that and smacking their mirrors seems to get their attention. So, I am doing my part, I pity the Thai who actually gathers the courage to exit his car and confront me, I call it self-defense.

You are taking one hell of a chance, a lone Thai may not confront you, but one with a weapon, ie gun or baseball bat certainly will.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

You are taking one hell of a chance, a lone Thai may not confront you, but one with a weapon, ie gun or baseball bat certainly will.

He better act before I do, he'll be lucky to even exit his door. My violence level knows no boundaries, it would be a monumental mistake for a Thai to confront me without acting first.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, catch104 said:

Why would the self-serving elite bother thinknig of solving such peasant's problem. Walking??? that’s for the lower class.
And please, it’s not just taxis.  Luxury cars will gleefully speed up at the sight of a mere peasant daring to cross the road 30 meters ahead.
How dare they disrupt me...
By the way, zebra is a very rare species, you don't see many of them in Thailand....

I don't think there are many zebra crossings left in the UK, they have been changed to traffic light crossings, and they are always working.

17 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

He better act before I do, he'll be lucky to even exit his door. My violence level knows no boundaries, it would be a monumental mistake for a Thai to confront me without acting first.

I do admire your attitude, when I was younger and living in the UK I was exactly the same.

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

In the UK if a pedestrian is stood waiting to cross, you must by law stop for them. In Thailand, you should cross anywhere BUT a zebra crossing, because even if someone stops for you, pound to a penny that another vehicle will ignore the light and pass him. 

Yes, exactly this! Even at a light-controlled crossing, even if a car stops, always look left for the tw*t on a motorbike coming the wrong way, and check the second/each consecutive lane before stepping past the stopped vehicle, because the majority of time the car in the next lane wont stop!

Why am I not surprised! Most people in Thailand have no clue what these "stripes" is all about, and do not tell them that it is safe to thrust them, while a dumb "Farang" has learned that cars are supposed to stop for you when you enter them! I see many people killed or badly hurt here in Europe because they are so dumb as to walk straight out on those stripes without even looking left or right!! ALWAYS be aware of drivers not being observant. There are so many of them.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

The situation requires the stripped poles with a flashing beacon on top and zig zag lines so drivers will notice it from a distance.

You mean controlled crossings with big red lights like this?

Right at the start of the video, look for the 23 seconds left on the clock to safely cross. 

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

I've never seen the RTP actually working, what exactly do they do all day? I checked and they have the same amount of police as the USA does per 100,000 people, but you never see them doing anything.

Tea money??