Why are most movies released post-2000 unwatchable?

GammaGlobulin

On 10/16/2024 at 3:00 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

It seems that the year 2000 marks the divide between some decent Hollywood film-making pre-2000, and what has now become garbage films that are not watchable.

Why is this?

Pandering to overseas markets? 

Dumbing down of content and themes?

Fear of offending any segment of the movie-goer market?

Lack of reading on the part of the public who watches the new garbage films?

Other reasons?

Has America completely lost any semblance of having a meaningful culture, these days?

We know that there has been a sharp divide in quality which happened 25 years ago...

But why?

"...why?"

Could be depending of which movies you pick to watch. The ones I've selected have mainly been good movies worth watching – and I prefer to watch big screen in a dark cinema with Dolby Atmos-sound – but there are also numerous films I don't pick to watch...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I don't think it has to do with political correctness ("wokeness") and more to do with making money. The number of movie directors who complain about producers mangling their work suggests trying to satisfy everyone and make money is getting in the way of making a good film.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2024 at 8:00 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

It seems that the year 2000 marks the divide between some decent Hollywood film-making pre-2000, and what has now become garbage films that are not watchable.

Why is this?

Pandering to overseas markets? 

Dumbing down of content and themes?

Fear of offending any segment of the movie-goer market?

Lack of reading on the part of the public who watches the new garbage films?

Other reasons?

Has America completely lost any semblance of having a meaningful culture, these days?

We know that there has been a sharp divide in quality which happened 25 years ago...

But why?

How do you know they are "unwatchable"?

Are you psychic?

And in any event, maybe millions of others think otherwise!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2024 at 8:42 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Never seen it, but the last LOR outing I saw was The Hobbit, which impose female characters that never existed in the books, which were about MALES, and a few females, such as Galadriel, but they were never a big part of the story.

I still enjoy the Hobbit movies (wonderful cast and dialogue), stretched though they are, and have always preferred the book over the darker and brilliant LOTR even though it's apparently meant for kids... yeah right!.

The Rings of Power is essentially a series following pre-Prime Galadriel, set WAAAYY before Hobbit/LOTR. Along with the oft-snarling, short-assed out of character Galadriel, all the juicy lead parts are reserved for female characters, while the meek fellas bumble about getting their arses handed to them BY WOMEN. Sauron (the most powerful entity presented to us in Hobbit/LOTR) appears in bloke form and is himself quite wishy washy, actually a bit of a ponce, and seems quite taken aback with the aforementioned. Just do yourself a favour and don't go there. Cost Amazon summat like $1B and it's a giant flop, but they continue with it for the sake of it. I won't do the second season.

Much like the Mandalorian, first couple seasons great, then into the 2020s-proper for season 3... 'hey, let's make it all about women'. Goodnight! Not massively into fantasy, but it seems to be happening to all series' and movies in the West post-2020, because they are deliberately hiring this or that writer (usually feeble types, men or women) to tick boxes. Crapola. Unless fit-for-the-task, clever writers (whatever sex, race, creed they are, who F cares!) pen from the heart with passion, it will not work and will just lose these big firms massive amounts of money.

Always search now before committing to a movie/TV show... i.e. for wokeness. Any whiff of silliness... NEXT!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I totally AGREE with your assessment!

In fact, I agree with Chomsky concerning this misunderstanding of Wokism, which you here point out.

One of the very best vids concerning Wokism was actually done by, most surprisingly, Piers Morgan when he recorded this interview with Noam.

Definitely worth watching !!!  And, this is a side of Piers that we see just too infrequently.

He actually asks good questions, and let's Noam respond, in full, without cutting him off.

Wokism is completely misunderstood by the average uneducated American, seemingly.

Wish more Americans would watch this....!!!!

Thanks for that video -- really interesting! And well conducted by both sides, as you say. I don’t totally agree with Chomsky on everything (he seems to blame the US more than Russia for the Ukraine war), but I certainly agree with his take on “wokism.” And his presence and lucidity at age 94 is truly inspiring; makes me think I may have 30 good years left ...

17 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Thanks for that video -- really interesting! And well conducted by both sides, as you say. I don’t totally agree with Chomsky on everything (he seems to blame the US more than Russia for the Ukraine war), but I certainly agree with his take on “wokism.” And his presence and lucidity at age 94 is truly inspiring; makes me think I may have 30 good years left ...

Yes.

I completely agree with you about Chomsky at 94-95.

Although, we sometimes read about various health issues, unfortunately.

And, you are correct that this is one fine interview, and quite rare for an interviewer such as Piers.  I commend him for doing such an excellent job.

Chomsky, as you say, is  also correct in providing the history of wokism, which helps put the modern misunderstandings into better prospective.

Great Interview.

I did enjoy it, much.