How long hormone treatment for prostate cancer should continue vs side effects

Negita43

Background:

Earlier in the year I underwent a successful radiation treatment for prostate cancer in conjunction with a 3 monthly hormone injection.

My PSA before radiation was 43ish and after radiation was around 0.4.

I had the first two hormone injections in Thailand (one before radiation, one after). Both injections were Enantone manufactured by Takeda

In May I had to go to the UK where I had another PSA test (<0.1) and in July a third hormone injection (Prostap- manufactured by Takeda also) I’m pretty sure Prostap and Enantone  are essentially the same.

This week I had another PSA test (<0.1) and am due another hormone injection in the UK early November

I will return to Thailand late November.

I was due to see a UK consultant mid October when I planned to discuss the issue below but now that has been delayed beyond my return date (no appointment in the foreseeable horizon due to the state of the Scottish health service - apparently patients with a new prostate diagnosis take precedence over those undergoing treatment).

I have had some other blood tests over here and everything (including blood sugar and thyroid) are normal except for raised lipids – prescribed Atorvastatin).

So here goes:

I understand the side effects of the hormone injections and I have no problems dealing with “hot flushes” (usually after meals) and a 5Kg weight gain (which I can’t seem to get down).

However, since the initial treatment I have become progressively more lethargic (I am - or was - an active 80 year old) and more importantly becoming progressively more depressed which is having an impact on my day to day life.

So the main question is this – when does the hormone treatment stop or is it a permanent process – anyone have experience of these hormone injections and what happens longer term?