• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Two Schoolgirls Injured After Truck Tyre Breaks Loose and Hits Motorcycle

2. 2

MAGA is a disease

3. 56

Trump ahead in all battleground states - ALL OF THEM!

4. 31

Pattaya Traffic CCTVs

5. 56

Trump ahead in all battleground states - ALL OF THEM!

6. 53

Foreign Election Interference in the US 2024 Election!

7. 16

Thailand Live Sunday 20 October 2024

8. 224

EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

9. 28

House for rent near the temple how is it

10. 20

Illegal to change lanes on a bridge?

11. 7

OMG he (Trump) now talks about penis sizes during a rally

12. 12

N Korea Sends Troops to Support Russia in Ukraine: Seoul Warns of a "Grave Security Threat"

Illegal to change lanes on a bridge?

BadCash

13 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Next time, tell them to review your dash-cam and they will back down. 

Thanks, that's what I tried to do, but my dashcam is pretty crappy at viewing video and of course froze up every time I tried to play it. They didn't seem to be bothered at all when I said I could show it though, which is why I'm thinking maybe I really did break some rule...

Will definitely buy a better dashcam now, one that doesn't freeze up when you need it..

16 hours ago, BadCash said:

Was driving a rental car in Bangkok the other day and got stopped by police at the Pratunam intersection, going north on Ratchadamri Road and turning east on Phetchaburi Road.

I had to change lanes just before the solid line started, but still a dashed line. It's my first time driving in Bangkok and on this road, so I wasn't sure if one or two lanes could turn. It was in rush hour and I was coming out from the Central World parking garage so had to make my way over all the way from left to right. The car in front of me also changed lanes at the same spot as me, just before the line became solid.

Unfortunately there was a police check at the intersection and they stopped me and said I changed lanes illegally, that the bridge was a "safety zone" and illegal to change lanes on it. They also showed a road sign on the phone which they supposedly thought supported their claim, although it was actually a sign forbidding passing other cars. 

Long story short they started off at 2000 baht and eventually lowered it to 500 baht cash payment after a few minutes of debating. 

But now I wonder if I even did anything wrong? I have reviewed my dashcam footage and I'm clearly changing lanes before the solid lines. Although I am holding up traffic behind me since the cars on the right won't let me in. 

A sign that says passing other cars is forbidden means changing lanes - that means to me that their claim is valid.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It’s probably not illegal but cops in Bkk will try every trick in the book to part you with 500 bht. I lived in Bkk for 10 years and paid multiple “fines”.

"...cops in Bkk will try every trick in the book..."

On the other hand they won't, I've lived in Bangkok since 1994 and been driving here since day one, I have never had to pay a single "fine" of the type you suggest.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

On the other hand they won't, I've lived in Bangkok since 1994 and been driving here since day one, I have never had to pay a single "fine" of the type you suggest.

You’ve been driving in BKK for the past 30 years and never paid a “fine”? Lucky you. By any chance, do you ride a bike as well?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You’ve been driving in BKK for the past 30 years and never paid a “fine”? Lucky you. By any chance, do you ride a bike as well?

No, I have never had to pay a "fine" a you describe it, I have had to pay a legitimate fine at a police station.

No, I don't (but can) ride a bike.  Why?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I have never had to pay a "fine" a you describe it, I have had to pay a legitimate fine at a police station.

Police taking tea money for an infringement that didn't take place is common here. You change lanes 5 or 10 metres before a solid white line starts on a road but they magically see you doing it 5 or 10 metres later. They station themselves at likely spots to pay for their anticipated soapy massages for the next week. If they threaten to hold onto your license until you reach the police station demand it back on the spot, it's just another form of pressure for you to hand over a bit of cash. They won't write a ticket if they even get 200 Baht out of you. Just negotiate calmly and with humour.

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer (sic)
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Like I said, lucky you. I’ve paid multiple “not close enough to the left kerb” fines whilst on my bike, including once when I had to overtake a parked truck. This particular so called breach doesn’t apply to cars, just bikes. Another time, I had to pay a “too far to the right “ fine. This took place on Siloam Rd, at the multiple intersection directly in front of the police station. Poor guy behind me suffered the same fate. Worse, he left the station forgetting his ID.

They also tried to pull me over on my big bike even though I was fully helmeted, jacketed and booted. I decided to ignore them that instance and rode straight on. Bikers have plenty of tea money incidents. Motorists tend not to have as many.

5 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Wow... I got 'caught' at that same spot in 2012. I, too, did not cross the solid line. I, also, paid 500 baht.

Not much inflationary pressure on fines in 12 years, must be the only thing that hasn't risen in price!

On 10/19/2024 at 1:57 AM, BadCash said:

Long story short they started off at 2000 baht and eventually lowered it to 500 baht cash payment after a few minutes of debating. 

If you settled up on the spot, you were probably scammed.  If you didn't get a receipt, you were definitely scammed.

Happens to all most of us.

Edit:  BTW, that doesn't mean you didn't break any laws.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

Your only error was renting a vehicle with insufficiently tinted windows. I used to get stopped all the time for made-up reasons because they could see me. Got a new car with dark windows and they can't see me - haven't been stopped in seven years.

Also, if you have a dark tint and annoy a fellow motorist, they assume you're Thai and might have a gun. It means you can make that dodgy u-turn or steal their lane with no repercussions.:coffee1:

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I got 'caught' at that same spot in 2012

Same cops 12 years later? 555

Probably earlier than that around 2005 I'd guess...    At that very corner (turning right onto Petchaburi from Central World) the BiB pulled me over accusing me and my passenger of not wearing our seatbelts (we were wearing our seatbelts)

They wanted 2000 baht - I just outright refused, & kept refusing - they waved me on.

A few years later, coming from the other direction, turning left from the wrong lane (second lane)

Fine negotiated down to 200 baht.  The amusing part about that one, was that there was a bin lorry parked in the left lane, so turning left from the left most lane was impossible.

It seems the Police in that area know exactly what they are doing when making up these 'technical faults' which are impossible to avoid if wanting to drive here.

43 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Cops were correct.

The 'cops' hang out at specific area's of poor road design so they can catch people out on such technicalities..   It seems the Police in Pratunam have their preferred spots to make their cash,

Over the past 25 years or so of driving and riding a motorcycle in Bangkok I can point out that getting pulled over by the BiB is by far the exception and certainly not a common occurrence.

That said - the Police are now relying on camera's a lot more.

We are getting a plenty of fines for crossing a white line.

At one junction we often use, we want to exit the expressway and use a flyover... there is a narrow window of 'dashed white lines' via which to get to the central lanes and use the fly over.

But, this also means drivers can't just 'flow and merge' they have to stop and lane change only at the dashed-white-lines (green arrow), or face a 500 baht fine if they merge in a manner that would be safer (yellow arrow).... (we get caught by the camera quite regularly here).

As for the Op: The only solution is to 'switch lanes' across to the right most lanes immediately when exiting central world parking - everyone else does this & makes traffic worse... but the BiB don't care - they instead create a worse situation by preventing lane changes on a bridge.

Screenshot 2024-10-20 at 10.23.50.png