Schools Advised Trans Teachers Must Share Showers and Lavatories with Female Colleagues

Social Media

image.png

Transgender teachers in the UK must be permitted to use the same showers and bathrooms as their female colleagues, according to recent guidance provided to school governors. This recommendation, issued by the National Governance Association (NGA), has stirred a significant public debate, with some calling it irresponsible and a misinterpretation of legal requirements.

The NGA, which provides training and advice to governors and trustees in state schools across England, has been instructing school leaders that staff should be given access to the bathroom “available to other members of their newly acquired gender.” The advice, seen by *The Telegraph*, further suggests that requiring transgender individuals to use a disabled toilet rather than making reasonable adjustments “is not lawful or good practice.”

The NGA’s guidelines read: “Employees who have undergone gender reassignment or who are transgender must be supported to use all toilets and shower facilities which are available to other members of their newly acquired gender. Requiring transgendered people to use disabled toilet facilities instead of making reasonable adjustments is not lawful or good practice.”

The NGA serves more than 80,000 members in over 70 percent of schools and trusts in England. Through its extensive reach, it offers advice, training, and events on issues such as equality and diversity, which aim to support school leaders in navigating complex legal and social landscapes.

Not everyone agrees with the NGA's stance. Maya Forstater, CEO of the human-rights charity Sex Matters, has expressed her outrage, calling the guidance “grossly irresponsible” and “deeply disturbing.” Forstater explained, “Nowhere in the Equality Act does it say that men who identify as women have the right to access female toilets, so this is a shocking misrepresentation by the NGA.” She emphasized that the law mandates employers to provide single-sex toilets unless they are fully enclosed unisex facilities. 

“It is grossly irresponsible for the NGA to tell school governors and trustees otherwise,” Forstater continued. “The Equality Act protects transgender people so that they can’t be harassed or discriminated against, such as being denied employment or housing. It doesn’t give them an all-access pass to opposite-sex facilities. It is deeply disturbing that school governors are being misinformed by the NGA in a way that breaches the rights of teachers and other staff to basic privacy and dignity.”

The issue of transgender access to facilities has already gained political attention. In June, Bridget Phillipson, the current Education Secretary, noted that under Labour’s proposals to simplify the process for gender recognition, trans women with male genitalia could use female lavatories. She explained that any trans woman with a gender recognition certificate (GRC) would be able to use female toilets, even if they had not undergone reassignment surgery. 

Currently, to obtain a GRC, individuals must provide two years of evidence that they have been living in their newly acquired gender, as well as receive approval from a panel of medical professionals and lawyers. Labour has expressed a desire to simplify this process, which they have criticized as “degrading and torturous” for trans people. They propose removing the two-year reflection period and reducing the requirement for medical sign-off to one clinician's approval.

However, Sir Keir Starmer, Labour’s leader, has previously stated that transgender women do not have an automatic right to access female-only spaces. His stance has contributed to the ongoing debate over how gender recognition laws should evolve, and the implications these changes might have on single-sex spaces.

Based on a report from the Daily Telegraph 2024-10-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 2

Between vacations and living in Thailand I spent about four years there. In that time I never once came across a lady-boy in a men's washroom. Either they don't go or they go to the women's washroom. Never heard of it being an issue there. Seems another case of conservatives sticking their noses into other peoples business. How many women are complaining as opposed to men?

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Denim said:

Identifying with and actually being are poles apart.

Excessive pandering to small minorities is just plain daft.

It’s a bit of meat to get the far right looneys fired up another words attacking a tiny helpless minority for political gain sad really.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, pegman said:

Between vacations and living in Thailand I spent about four years there. In that time I never once came across a lady-boy in a men's washroom. Either they don't go or they go to the women's washroom. Never heard of it being an issue there. Seems another case of conservatives sticking their noses into other peoples business. How many women are complaining as opposed to men?

And no, I didn't take the photo 😁😁1726457246700.thumb.jpg.6c78ab4716a5fb46f17251cc5d297afe.jpg

28 minutes ago, Tug said:

It’s a bit of meat to get the far right looneys fired up another words attacking a tiny helpless minority for political gain sad really.

No one is being attacked. You just need a doctor's note that you're bat sh#t crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Are you conflating the teachers shower to the students shower?never heard of teachers showering with the students of any sex.

Are you looking for an argument?

I reckon you understood what I meant to say. Teacher's don't shower at school. 

These sick people will try anything.

It will give these weirdo's an excuse to enter the students shower room. 

Have you ever showered at school, at times teachers enter the shower room.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

OK, so you're just kidding right? There for a minute I actually thought you believed your own BS.

Oh no that’s a technique straight out of your boys play book get folks riled up about something minor to distract from a bigger issue and or just to get the gullible all worked up,I ment what I said 100% and I think you are perceptive enough to know it.

• Sad 2

Before anyone says it I know Sky News is on the right but I would be very interested for anyone who has been afflicted by the woke virus to justify this. IMHO this is pure madness and is nothing more than the indoctrination of a minority agenda onto the majority. This is a very good example of the indoctrination process.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

There are four acknowledged genders here (male, female, kathoey, and tomboy). Thailand is more socially advanced that the US when it comes to gender identity, and probably many other areas. Live and let live. 

If trans women did use men's bathrooms, there would be actual assaults against them, not hypothetical assaults involving "fake" kathoeys.

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Before anyone says it I know Sky News is on the right but I would be very interested for anyone who has been afflicted by the woke virus to justify this. IMHO this is pure madness and is nothing more than the indoctrination of a minority agenda onto the majority. This is a very good example of the indoctrination process.

If I had to guess who or what is behind the lunacy regarding gender identity in the west.....I would first point fingers at China and or Russia. What better way to cripple a country without firing a shot. I would never send my kid to a public school in the US. Now the insanity has hit our good brothers in Australia as well.

Those of you with kids in Thailand who advocate repatriating with family for sake of education....well you may want to rethink your priorities.

Here in Thailand it's a non issue for the most part. The kids know some of the boys act like girls, it's no big deal. They don't try to use the girls restrooms, they don't play sports with the girls in competitions. 

This is but one 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, proton said:

Now then now then boys and gals, blokes in girls showers howz about that then

Can the tiny helpless minority get into the girls facilities if they have a beard and a cock, as long as they claim to identify as a female? These sickos need to be kept well away from real girls and women and live their fantasy lives where they are not a danger to others.

It always mystifies me to see someone so concerned about sexual assault, yet displaying an avatar like yours. The level of mental compartmentalization required is truly impressive.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Oh no that’s a technique straight out of your boys play book get folks riled up about something minor to distract from a bigger issue and or just to get the gullible all worked up,I ment what I said 100% and I think you are perceptive enough to know it.

It's hard to believe you succeeded in life with your thinking. 

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

It always mystifies me to see someone so concerned about sexual assault, yet displaying an avatar like yours. The level of mental compartmentalization required is truly impressive.

Says a poster with a pig avatar :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Now then now then boys and gals, blokes in girls showers howz about that then

Can the tiny helpless minority get into the girls facilities if they have a beard and a cock, as long as they claim to identify as a female? These sickos need to be kept well away from real girls and women and live their fantasy lives where they are not a danger to others.

Absolutely correct, they may well be a minority, but they are certainly not helpless, just the opposite!

• Agree 1