Where to Buy Mont-Clair Red Wine by the Box

henrik2000

Hello, where can I buy Mont-Clair red wine by the box (3 or 5 liters) in Jomtien (preferred) or Pattaya? (I believe not at 7-11 or Lotus Express?)

Can I compare prices online? Is there online ordering and home delivery? ('d love delivery to condo reception, don't mind reputation drop.)

If you recommend certain wine-compatible nibbles from that store, I'd be interested too.

No Alcohol for Sale 2- 5 PM?

Once I wanted to buy a 5 L box of red wine in a huge hi-way side mall near Phetchaburi. But the cashier could not scan it. She looked a the box puzzled and asked me, "This, na? Alcohol?" And they were not allowed to sell alcohol between 2 – 5 pm. She put the box aside.

I've seen this enforced in SOME supermarkets and small stores, while others ignore it obviously (incl small western supermarkets in Jomtien). If you do recommend supermarkets – are you aware if they do NOT sell alcohol 2 – 5 pm?

Other Red Wine Brands?

I find Mont Clair still okayish, and last year the boxes were much cheaper per liter than regular or half bottles. I'll have glass bottles/pitchers to keep the wine for the next evening.

I'd try other affordable red wine brands preferredly by the box (stay 3 months), but of course would love to sample a bottle or glass first. My preferred grapes in the west are Primitivo, Sangiovese, Nero d'Avola and some other Italians, NOT Merlot, Cabernet-Sauvignon (meaning I wouldn't drink Mont-Clair in the west).

I have sampled eminently drinkable Thai wines in Khao Yai from PB Valley, Khao Yai Winery, Alcidini, but can't afford them on a regular basis. Foreign tipples seem so much cheaper, otherwise I'd love the Thai wines. (Hash cookies, whiskey, beer no option either.)

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, where can I buy Mont-Clair red wine by the box (3 or 5 liters) in Jomtien (preferred) or Pattaya? (I believe not at 7-11 or Lotus Express?)

Can I compare prices online? Is there online ordering and home delivery? ('d love delivery to condo reception, don't mind reputation drop.)

If you recommend certain wine-compatible nibbles from that store, I'd be interested too.

No Alcohol for Sale 2- 5 PM?

Once I wanted to buy a 5 L box of red wine in a huge hi-way side mall near Phetchaburi. But the cashier could not scan it. She looked a the box puzzled and asked me, "This, na? Alcohol?" And they were not allowed to sell alcohol between 2 – 5 pm. She put the box aside.

I've seen this enforced in SOME supermarkets and small stores, while others ignore it obviously (incl small western supermarkets in Jomtien). If you do recommend supermarkets – are you aware if they do NOT sell alcohol 2 – 5 pm?

Other Red Wine Brands?

I find Mont Clair still okayish, and last year the boxes were much cheaper per liter than regular or half bottles. I'll have glass bottles/pitchers to keep the wine for the next evening.

I'd try other affordable red wine brands preferredly by the box (stay 3 months), but of course would love to sample a bottle or glass first. My preferred grapes in the west are Primitivo, Sangiovese, Nero d'Avola and some other Italians, NOT Merlot, Cabernet-Sauvignon (meaning I wouldn't drink Mont-Clair in the west).

I have sampled eminently drinkable Thai wines in Khao Yai from PB Valley, Khao Yai Winery, Alcidini, but can't afford them on a regular basis. Foreign tipples seem so much cheaper, otherwise I'd love the Thai wines. (Hash cookies, whiskey, beer no option either.)

Thanks!

Yellowtail,Penfold's et al are not priced much above Mont-Clair and taste much better.

Isn't Mont-Clair a fruit wine?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yellowtail, Penfold's et al are not priced much above Mont-Clair and taste much better.

Since when have Penfolds sold wine in a box?

Edited by Pattaya57

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

No idea...I was talking about the wine??????

OP was looking for box wine and I knew Penfolds would never have that 😆 

Bought some Penfolds Koonunga Hill for 699 at Villa and Bin 2 for 920 at Central. Excellent drop

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

If you do recommend supermarkets – are you aware if they do NOT sell alcohol 2 – 5 pm?

Nowhere can legally sell between 2 and 5pm.  Nor between midnight and 11am.  All supermarkets follow this rule.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Nowhere can legally sell between 2 and 5pm.  Nor between midnight and 11am.  All supermarkets follow this rule.

At Makro you used to be able to buy outside those hours. I don't know if that is still the case.

You can buy alcohol at Makro anytime during their opening hours (except no alcohol buying days) provided you have a licence to sell alcohol (ie you have a shop/cafe/restauarant/bar etc) and you buy a minimum of 10 litres. A licence to sell is available at amphurs and costs 300bt/year. The licence has to be seen by and recorded by Makro, a process that takes 15/20 minutes, before one can make a purchase.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

You can buy alcohol at Makro anytime during their opening hours (except no alcohol buying days) provided you have a licence to sell alcohol (ie you have a shop/cafe/restauarant/bar etc) and you buy a minimum of 10 litres. A licence to sell is available at amphurs and costs 300bt/year. The licence has to be seen by and recorded by Makro, a process that takes 15/20 minutes, before one can make a purchase.

Of course,one has to have a Makro member card too!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Seems like always, if you not call the below a carton. Anyway, I call it a wooden box.
(6) 1996 Penfolds Block 42 Kalimna Cabernet Sauvignon, Barossa Valley ...

I guess 6x750ml bottles in a box does meet the OP request of 3-5 litre box wine 😆 

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, where can I buy Mont-Clair red wine by the box (3 or 5 liters)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I guess 6x750ml bottles in a box does meet the OP request of 3-5 litre box wine 😆 

That´s true. But there are no box wines. They are all in a carton that inside have a plastic bag fitted. So, maybe we should call it bag of wine 🤣

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

As far as my taste buds are concerned, both brands are excellent choices! Especially Yellowtail - the rose 'Sparkling' and rose dry Moscato'.

Lived in Germany for an age and Yellowtail was always my go to wine......happy now to see it is reasonably affordable here.

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Lived in Germany for an age and Yellowtail was always my go to wine......happy now to see it is reasonably affordable here.

Yes, quality Australian wines like Yellowtail can also be found in other wine-producing countries such as Germany, France etc..

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

Yes, quality Australian wines like Yellowtail can also be found in other wine-producing countries such as Germany, France etc..

And yet I think of yellowtail like I do Fosters. Send it overseas as Aussies don't drink it (well I don't at least, tasted very rough and cheap the one time I had it) 😉

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Other Red Wine Brands?

I find the Eagle Hawk Merlot (399B) an ok tipple but would stay away from their Cab Sav (or any Cab Sav... NB I know nothing about wines, only what I enjoy drinking & what doesn't give me a raging hangover the next morning which most reds tend to do). 

Might want to have a look as this thread to get some ideas... 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

But there are no box wines. They are all in a carton that inside have a plastic bag fitted. So, maybe we should call it bag of wine

I remember when Oz invented the Bag of wine---- The park I used to walk through in the morning was always full of winos sleeping rough---

--but now they all had a pillow to sleep on........:coffee1:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

Well, there you have it—I love Foster's Lager, Yellowtail wines, and I’m proudly Australian.

Well I'm proudly Australian too but hate Fosters and Yellowtail wines, but also hate vegemite so there you go 😀

Hi all, thanks for some good recommendations – shops wise and wine wise, including the link to another discussion!

Well I did half like Mont Clair when considering its price. Now hearing it's fruit wine makes me not want to like it any more. As said on top, I wouldn't drink it in the west. I tried to get online information about what's in Mont Clair red wine, but didn't come to a final conclusion; one site said there's 20% non-grape fruit in it.

The bags of wine in my non-English-speaking country are called "bag in box" – in English; I simply used "box" here, not considering that could be understood as a crate containing 6 or more glass bottles. So indeed, to say "bag" would have been much clearer, or better yet "bag in box". Also I had prepared the picture below to go with my initial post, but forgot it.

MontClairRedCelebration3L_720x.jpg.db15e5735697418bf726ec3b437cda76.jpg

Edited by henrik2000