Drunk Porsche Driver Offers B200,000 Settlement, Victim’s Father Questions Charges

webfact

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa6rHJwlNEDVhbp9mB6nX9xO0TR3qKIQ3Thi16AtTr0B1EpnNgwMK.webp

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

Chiang Mai – A family is demanding justice after a young man was severely injured by a drunk Porsche driver who offered B200,000 to settle the case. The victim's father believes the charges laid against the driver are too lenient, raising concerns over police handling of the incident and their refusal to consider attempted murder charges.

The accident occurred in the early hours of 24 July 2024 at the Fa Thani intersection in Chiang Mai. Mr. Irfan Musa, a 22-year-old fourth-year university student, was stopped at a red light on his motorcycle with his friend, Ms. Aom, also 22, when a speeding Porsche ran the light and hit them without braking.

CCTV footage from the scene captured the chilling moment as the Porsche crashed into the stationary motorcycle. Mr. Musa was thrown to the ground while Ms. Aom was dragged by the car for more than 10 metres before being flung onto the pavement.

Shockingly, the driver, who was visibly intoxicated, did not immediately help the injured pair. Instead, he reversed the car, running over Mr. Musa a second time before pulling over to the side of the road.

Bystanders quickly called emergency services and restrained the driver, fearing he might attempt to flee the scene. Witnesses described the driver as a young man who was "stumbling and clearly drunk."

Both victims sustained serious injuries. Mr. Musa suffered a ruptured liver, a fractured skull, and a broken pelvis, while Ms. Aom was critically injured. Mr. Musa required two hospital stays and ongoing physiotherapy, and his family had to temporarily close their business to care for him.

The Porsche driver was arrested and charged with reckless driving causing injury and drunk driving. However, Mr. Musa’s father, Mr. Suding Musa, believes these charges are inadequate given the severity of the crash and the driver’s reckless actions.

"From the footage, it’s clear that the driver didn’t just hit my son—he ran over him again when reversing. We are asking for an additional charge of attempted murder, but the police have refused, saying it doesn’t meet the criteria."

Despite the serious injuries sustained, the driver’s lawyer recently proposed a settlement of B200,000 for each victim, insisting this was all the driver could afford. The lawyer suggested that if the family did not accept the offer, they would fight the case in court and were prepared for the driver to face prison time.

Mr. Suding, however, refuses to accept the settlement, stating that it is insufficient compensation for the pain and suffering his son has endured. "We don’t want money—we want justice. My son’s dreams have been shattered. He wanted to become a physiotherapist, but now he can barely walk. How is B200,000 supposed to make up for that?"

Mr. Musa himself has spoken out, sharing how the accident has left him physically and emotionally scarred. "I’ve lost the ability to move the way I used to. I was passionate about sports and physical therapy, but now I can’t even walk properly.

It’s hard to accept that my future has changed because of someone’s reckless behaviour. If this had happened to someone in the driver’s family, would they settle for this?"

The case has drawn public attention, with many questioning the leniency of the charges and the handling of the investigation. Mr. Musa’s family has called for a full inquiry into the Porsche driver’s actions and the police’s decision not to press more serious charges.

In the meantime, Mr. Musa continues to undergo physiotherapy, although his recovery has been slow. His family remains determined to pursue the case in court, rejecting the settlement offer and seeking harsher penalties for the driver.

"We will not rest until justice is served," Mr. Suding said. "My son’s life will never be the same, and we cannot accept that the driver gets off so easily."

Chiang Mai police have stated that they are continuing their investigation but have not yet added any further charges, reported Thai Rath.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-21

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 2

Confiscate the car. Also there is government insurance and probably private insurance. Compensation should be 10 times more than what was offered.

I am amazed the cops did not lay the obvious charge of 'failing to stop for a red light'.

• Agree 1

Sorry Mr Suding, but it is still not attempted murder.

The fact that the driver, in his inebriated state, did not see the victim when he was reversing, does not show intent.

Very sad for the two innocent victims.

Definitely needs more than 200 grand.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Confiscate the car. Also there is government insurance and probably private insurance. Compensation should be 10 times more than what was offered.

I am amazed the cops did not lay the obvious charge of 'failing to stop for a red light'.

The Government Insurance is basically worthless and for a 25 year old car he would only have voluntary 3rd class at best

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Despite the serious injuries sustained, the driver’s lawyer recently proposed a settlement of B200,000 for each victim, insisting this was all the driver could afford. The lawyer suggested that if the family did not accept the offer, they would fight the case in court and were prepared for the driver to face prison time.

I'm not sure of the Thai law, but I think that in the West the guy would be charged for the criminal offence, and the victims could also sue him for damages.  Is that not possible in Thailand?

24 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not sure of the Thai law, but I think that in the West the guy would be charged for the criminal offence, and the victims could also sue him for damages.  Is that not possible in Thailand?

Both are possible.

The offence would be the Thai version of 'vehicular homicide'. (I cannot remember the Thai name.)

Yes, the victim can sue for damages.

Lawyers tend to drag things out (more money for them) and the trial could take a while.

I am always wondering why the RTP is involved in the offer of sum for damages.. It should be done by  court and an official judge... All this mutual trying to solve problems will only good for corruption and keep the culprit out of jail

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am always wondering why the RTP is involved in the offer of sum for damages.. It should be done by  court and an official judge... All this mutual trying to solve problems will only good for corruption and keep the culprit out of jail

It sounds like you've answered your own question at the end there.