Comparisons Between Trump and Dictators Spark Backlash: Atlantic Article Under Fire

Social Media

image.png

An article published by *The Atlantic* comparing former President Donald Trump to dictators such as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Benito Mussolini has stirred controversy among journalists and political commentators. The piece, titled "Trump Is Speaking Like Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini," was penned by Anne Applebaum and published on Friday, quickly igniting fierce responses on social media.

In her article, Applebaum argued that Trump’s use of dehumanizing language mirrors that of fascist regimes. "The former president has brought dehumanizing language into American presidential politics," Applebaum claimed. She went on to analyze Trump’s rhetoric, drawing historical parallels to infamous dictators. "These words belong to a particular tradition. Adolf Hitler used these kinds of terms often," Applebaum wrote, citing examples from Nazi propaganda.

Atlantic article comparing Trump to 'Hitler, Stalin' sparks criticism online from journalists, pundits

The article drew sharp criticism from across the political spectrum. Independent journalist Glenn Greenwald took to X, formerly Twitter, to express his disdain for the comparisons. "When you spend 8 years calling a person every bad name you can think of — including Hitler — only to see that it’s not working, so you desperately decide the only thing left for you to do is call him all the bad names at once," Greenwald wrote, mocking the nature of the headline.

RealClearPolitics co-founder and president Tom Bevan joined the chorus of critics, sarcastically referring to the article as “The Atlantic with a threefer,” while Margot Cleveland, senior legal correspondent for *The Federalist*, simply responded, “When Hitler isn’t bad enough!”

In defense of the article, *The Atlantic*'s national editor Scott Stossel praised Applebaum’s knowledge of authoritarian regimes. "My colleague [Applebaum] knows as much about the history of authoritarian regimes as anyone. When she says that Trump has begun using the language of Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini with clear intentionality, pay attention."

Applebaum’s article delved deeply into the rhetoric used by these dictators. She referenced Hitler’s praise in 1938 of those who "helped cleanse Germany of all those parasites who drank at the well of the despair of the Fatherland and the People," and compared this to Trump’s vilification of political opponents. In another example, she cited a 1941 Nazi propaganda poster depicting Jews as lice, with the slogan, “Jews are lice: they cause typhus,” arguing that such dehumanizing language resonates in Trump's political rhetoric. 

Trump’s campaign was quick to respond to the article, labeling it as another attempt by the media to vilify the former president. In a statement to *Fox News Digital*, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung dismissed the piece as "fake news by a third-rate media outlet." Cheung criticized the tone of the article, arguing that Democrats and their allies are the ones fostering dangerous rhetoric. “There have been two heinous assassination attempts on President Trump’s life, and their violent rhetoric is directly to blame,” Cheung said. He further accused Democrats and Vice President Kamala Harris of inciting violence, calling their rhetoric "disgusting and abhorrent."

Cheung concluded by asserting that Democrats are exploiting these assassination attempts for political gain, stating, "The only people trying to take political advantage of the attempted assassination are Democrats who continue to use loaded and dangerous rhetoric that have emboldened those who threaten the safety of President Trump."

Based on a report from the NYP 2024-10-22

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

They are spot on in my humble opinion it’s frustrating that many are so blinded by partisanship and fake fox and their ilk news.

As we approach the national election in the USA with all its discord, purposeful misinformation and right out documented lies, it is understandable that all of us US citizens feel disheartened. I ask those of you, disheartened as I am that such a person as Donald J. Trump would ever be considered as worthy of representing the United States of America, to step back, put on the critical thinking cap and consider … I certainly understand and agree with the justified frustration/anger within the working middle class (most certainly Trump and his ilk are not the answer). The fact that such a reprehensible person could even be considered by so many should raise a serious question in your mind and in the minds of all … he is only able to have support because citizens, in their analysis believe that the continuing policies/actions of both major political parties have failed to address the very real issues facing us. Thus, far too many are open to even considering a person of such low character and capabilities. Again, Trump has a well documented history and is no where near the answer to our current critical point in history but … there is a very serious consideration for all. While both parties can be faulted, there is a difference critical to our future … the current Trump party must be soundly defeated, and then … if the Democrats do not see the writing on the wall and try to continue to “squeeze by” … I call for them too to be soundly dismissed in the next elections in two years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

They are spot on in my humble opinion it’s frustrating that many are so blinded by partisanship and fake fox and their ilk news.

You don't and never have had a humble opinion. Can bet any post with Trump in it you will be one of the first ones bashing him. As I have said before I am not a Trump fan, but there is no way in Hell that I will vote for Kamala, she is the most unqualifed candidate for president in the history of our country.

3 hours ago, Tug said:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

As we approach the national election in the USA with all its discord, purposeful misinformation and right out documented lies, it is understandable that all of us US citizens feel disheartened. I ask those of you, disheartened as I am that such a person as Donald J. Trump would ever be considered as worthy of representing the United States of America, to step back, put on the critical thinking cap and consider … I certainly understand and agree with the justified frustration/anger within the working middle class (most certainly Trump and his ilk are not the answer). The fact that such a reprehensible person could even be considered by so many should raise a serious question in your mind and in the minds of all … he is only able to have support because citizens, in their analysis believe that the continuing policies/actions of both major political parties have failed to address the very real issues facing us. Thus, far too many are open to even considering a person of such low character and capabilities. Again, Trump has a well documented history and is no where near the answer to our current critical point in history but … there is a very serious consideration for all. While both parties can be faulted, there is a difference critical to our future … the current Trump party must be soundly defeated, and then … if the Democrats do not see the writing on the wall and try to continue to “squeeze by” … I call for them too to be soundly dismissed in the next elections in two years.

You could subsitute Kamala for Trump in this post and you would be spot on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1