Thai Officials Face Probe Over Fatal School Bus Inferno

webfact

1 hour ago, Zack61 said:

Some pooing of pants I suspect. Let’s see how far this progresses before it’s brushed under the rug. 

I am sure someone will have to put up to the alter .. you can’t have that big and visual of a disaster .. with all the associated public outrage and not have someone taken to task. 

It’s fair to argue who really is responsible, but in the end, someone is going to have be “the one” 

• Agree 1

THe sad thing about this "probe" is it seems to be concentrating on this single incident - what needs to be examines to the WHOLE system.  

It requires massive reform and even constitutional reform as it brings into question the functioning of institutions like the police and civil service - such basics as how they see their roles.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, new2here said:

I am sure someone will have to put up to the alter .. you can’t have that big and visual of a disaster .. with all the associated public outrage and not have someone taken to task. 

It’s fair to argue who really is responsible, but in the end, someone is going to have be “the one” 

Scapegoating and the "blame game" as ever avoids the real issues.

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Scapegoating and the "blame game" as ever avoids the real issues.

i don’t disagree.. unfortunately given the depth and breadth of the investigation (as reported) there’s lots of “room” for a suitable person/people - to be found guilty of dereliction of duty if you will.  

55 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

No doubt that some people that are culpable, along with a few additional scapegoats, will be made an extreme example of, while this terrible incident is fresh in the collective memory; however, I very much doubt if these examples will do anything to change the culture of corruption that gave birth to this appalling tragedy.

- Someone in a position of authority at the school was responsible for hiring the bus company - was any due diligence carried out checking service records etc ? or did they just go for the cheapest option, no questions asked. 

- Either a valid inspection was carried out (every 6 months) and the modifications were made after the latest inspection - in which case the owner is responsible. 

- Or, a valid inspection was carried out, but that inspection was 'faked' or 'poorly carried out' and missed the retrofitted tanks (or was paid to ignore them) - in which case, inspectors and owner is responsible. 

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the probe is delving into the possible negligence and complicity of government officials.

"possible"? How about the "obvious". It's not possible, it is obvious. The only question is: Who exactly are the people whose heads need to roll?

various state bodies could face legal action for their roles in the tragedy.

Nobody cares if a "state body" would face legal action. Not a whit. Specific heads need to roll. Personal responsibility is the only way this crap will ever end.

officials responsible for permitting conditions that led to the incident may be held accountable.

🤣😂🤣😂
If you believe that, DM me about a bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn!
Unless the "official" is some lowly inspector at some bus inspection place....
Not that I think inspectors are lowly in their person or even position. I'm speaking in relative terms, compared to the levels this needs to go on a genocidal hunt for. (I shouldn't need to explain, but with the insane level of woke idiocy these days, I should mention that I am speaking with metaphoric hyperbole and not calling for violence)

specific details are withheld to preserve the integrity of the investigation

Like major CYA operations....
"integrity"? I don't think they know what that word even means.

As investigations continue, the focus remains firmly on holding accountable those whose actions, or lack thereof, might have contributed to a preventable tragedy

Yeah... investigations continue... I recall particular "investigations" that have continued so vigorously, for years, regarding a wealthy heir killing a policeman, all the while he dodges justice as he enjoys his elite lifestyle hopping around the globe to anywhere except Thailand.... yep the investigations continue...

NOTHING is to be believed until these corrupt criminals masquerading as elite and important people are removed from society and spend some years in prison.

Edited by Sig
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, new2here said:

Thaksin is the person who called for all the buses to use Compressed Gas as he had shares in the companies providing the products. This tragedy would not have occurred if he hadn't been so intent on lining his pockets and bugger the consequences. Thaksin is at the pinnacle of responsibility for this tragedy and must be held responsible.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

COVER-PIC-2024-10-01T131739.webp.120080010d713ccabeee156ea010232d.webp

In a sobering turn of events, a deadly school bus fire that claimed the lives of 23 individuals, including students and teachers from Uthai Thani, is now the subject of a comprehensive investigation involving multiple government agencies in Thailand.

The tragic event occurred on October 1 during a field trip, prompting a thorough inquiry into the series of approvals and inspections that preceded the disaster.

The Central Investigation Bureau's Deputy Commissioner, Pol. Maj. Gen. Jaroonkiat Pankaew, has disclosed that the probe is delving into the possible negligence and complicity of government officials.

The investigation, spearheaded by the Office of the Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC), suggests that various state bodies could face legal action for their roles in the tragedy.

PACC Secretary-General Phumwisan Kasemsuk has stated that officials responsible for permitting conditions that led to the incident may be held accountable.

While specific details are withheld to preserve the integrity of the investigation, there is a strong commitment to pursuing justice for the victims and their families.

Senator Alongkot Worawi has independently lodged a complaint with the police's Anti-Corruption Police Division, specifically targeting the Singburi Provincial Transport Office and the engineers responsible for inspecting the ill-fated bus.

Central to his concerns is the adequacy of the technical examination, particularly the installation of the gas tanks. The senator has suggested that negligence in this area may have contributed to the fire, calling for an expanded investigation into the transport officials' potential liability.

As investigations continue, the focus remains firmly on holding accountable those whose actions, or lack thereof, might have contributed to a preventable tragedy, shining a spotlight on the critical need for enhanced safety measures in public transport, reported TNA and Pattaya Mail.

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-22

news-footer-3.png

image.png

So some corrupt people gained a few thousand baht on the cost of 23 human lives, a bus & its gains.

Where is the logic thinking in return of investment?

GREED!

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Spock said:

As an ex secondary teacher, I cannot agree that a person at the school should be held responsible for the selection of the bus company. Nor do I imagine that a teacher would be given any details of the age of the bus or fuel system used. Maybe the education department could appoint people with some expertise and time to devote to short listing bus companies that meet minimum requirements, but to suggest that an individual at the school is at fault is I think extremely unfair. 

I suspect expectations vary.

As a parent paying a lot of money for school fee's I have certain expectations and the primary expectation I have is for the safety of my child - I don't think this expectation should be any different for 'free' (state schools)..... 

... I fully expect the mini-vans and busses used by my Son's school to undergo regular inspections (along with the drivers)...

I expect the school - those in positions of decision making authority to be responsible for the safety standards of any vehicle in which my son travels on school related business (i.e. school trips / sports tournaments etc).

Example:

a) Teacher gets in the mini-van with the kids - the seatbelts are not working, teacher ignores the issue... IMO - the teacher fully responsible and accountable, as is the school, bus company and driver. 

b) Mini-can home (after school) - Seatbelts not working, bus driver and bus-monitor ignore the issue...

IMO - the bus company, driver and bus-monitor are filly responsible and accountable.

----------------

I once interviewed with a school in Thailand (known name)... I asked who is responsible for transport safety on school transport - The response was unprofessional, they response was a very simple... "we outsource"... Question not answered, I asked who carries out safety checks and ensures the busses are safe to use, have seatbelts etc... the answer... again... "we outsource - the bus company is responsible for all that"....   I got up and left... no need for any further discussion.

57 minutes ago, Spock said:

Can I also suggest that a number of videos I have seen online of Thai school children in buses suggests practices not conducive to safe transport of children - dancing and standing in the aisles and singing loudly would do little for the concentration of the driver on the task at hand. Thai children need be sat in seats and remain there for the course of the journey.

Some schools yes - where the bus monitor is lazy (or there isn't one and ignored).

I know that when my son goes on a school trip, the busses he  goes on have to use 3 point seatbelts which they have to use, and this is checked by the attending teachers - also the school does not allow transport in vehicles that have been altered to CNG / LPG etc.

As far as Daily Home-School-home transport is concerned - the bus monitor is accountable, and I see kids in those vans buckled up.

In short - I don't believe the school should be able to shrug off their responsibility - there are of course aspects that they can't possibly know... but for the most part the school should run a basic QCQC of the vehicle, check the tyres, seat belt function etc... 

3 hours ago, Mburo said:

About time somebody was held accountable.

ah, don't assume, accountability will be the result of a comprehensive investigation, quite the opposite is equally, or possibly more likely, to be the result.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

ah, don't assume, accountability will be the result of a comprehensive investigation, quite the opposite is equally, or possibly more likely, to be the result.

Sadly, I agree with you....  This will either be pinned on a scapegoat while those truly accountable (inspectors and business owners will be overlooked)... 

While I hate to generalise, in this situation I must - Thai Authorities are not interested in accountability, they are only interested in 'making a situation disappear as quickly as possible' 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Spock said:

As an ex secondary teacher, I cannot agree that a person at the school should be held responsible for the selection of the bus company. Nor do I imagine that a teacher would be given any details of the age of the bus or fuel system used. Maybe the education department could appoint people with some expertise and time to devote to short listing bus companies that meet minimum requirements, but to suggest that an individual at the school is at fault is I think extremely unfair. 

Can I also suggest that a number of videos I have seen online of Thai school children in buses suggests practices not conducive to safe transport of children - dancing and standing in the aisles and singing loudly would do little for the concentration of the driver on the task at hand. Thai children need be sat in seats and remain there for the course of the journey.

Quite apart from what happens if the driver has to slam on the anchors.

And yes, I think it's unreasonable/impossible for teachers to be expected to carry out the inspections and investigations for which entire government departments have supposedly been set up.

2 hours ago, new2here said:

Hmm,.. One will be not enough,.... there will be a lot more, medium and Low levels that will be found guilty.

As tragic as the accident waiting to happen was, unfortunately this is a nationwide problem of corruption, where people pay officials to circumvent the law.

Only recently a farang friend of mine was inticed to paying a kerbside 'fee' of 4000 baht or go to the police station, where he was told he would be overnight...

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

As tragic as the accident waiting to happen was, unfortunately this is a nationwide problem of corruption, where people pay officials to circumvent the law.

Only recently a farang friend of mine was inticed to paying a kerbside 'fee' of 4000 baht or go to the police station, where he was told he would be overnight...

Drinking ???