Expats in Pattaya nasty ?

georgegeorgia

Back in the mid to early 1960s American soldiers, well-behaved and polite, began to arrive in Pattaya, and in Bangkok and some other cities. They joined the well-to-do foreigners who were resident or visiting, and who could afford the costs involved in travelling to Thailand. Then cheap flights emerged, and everything changed. Shabby, I'll mannered foreigners began to arrive in great numbers. The older foreigners, who were already in the country. wanted nothing to do with them. To this day that still applies, and not only in Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Back in the mid to early 1960s American soldiers, well-behaved and polite, began to arrive in Pattaya, and in Bangkok and some other cities. They joined the well-to-do foreigners who were resident or visiting, and who could afford the costs involved in travelling to Thailand. Then cheap flights emerged, and everything changed. Shabby, I'll mannered foreigners began to arrive in great numbers. The older foreigners, who were already in the country. wanted nothing to do with them. To this day that still applies, and not only in Pattaya.

Absolutely!

The low class coming in to take over from the expats for 2 weeks !!!

Disgusting!

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely!

The low class coming in to take over from the expats for 2 weeks !!!

Disgusting!

Its good to see you acknowledge what you are doing on your few times a year visit. It is disgusting, you are so right. 

• Haha 2

Up here in the North when out shopping occasionally my wife will see another farang. 
🙋‍♀️"Oh look honey, a farang!"
:thumbsup: "What would you like me to do.  Go give him the 'secret farang handshake?'" 

I'll give a farang guy a nod and a smile as that just considered "friendly" by US Southern Eastern Seaboard standards.  But I don't go around striking up conversations with guys just because they are farangs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Up here in the North when out shopping occasionally my wife will see another farang. 
🙋‍♀️"Oh look honey, a farang!"
:thumbsup: "What would you like me to do.  Go give him the 'secret farang handshake?'" 

I'll give a farang guy a nod and a smile as that just considered "friendly" by US Southern Eastern Seaboard standards.  But I don't go around striking up conversations with guys just because they are farangs.

Well you bloody should !

Don't be a party pooper ,be a extrovert 

On 10/22/2024 at 12:09 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Talking about stinkers, i was in an agogo Friday, walked in towards the sofa, a stink of BO hit me like a wall as i approached, a large european guy was there, looked Russian, it was like a forcefield of BO, what a stinker, i left quickly

May the stink by with him. Live long and smell.

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2024 at 12:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think thats a valid point...   [interacting with other foreigners / Westerners just because they are also foreign / Western]...

... If there is a natural conversation point, why not, of course...  but otherwise... speaking with people we dont know, nope... that just odd....  but if eye contact is made there is nothing wrong with a nod, but that is for anyone regardless of nationality etc.... I often catch eye contact with other Thai guys, I give a nod and they nod back... nothing more to it. 

A few weeks ago I was at EmSphere looking at the cars...  Another Westerner there (Eastern European I think), started talking to me, we were both interested in the car and talked for about 10mins, about the car....  pleasant enough chappy, pleasant enough converstation - just a human interaction, not forced or ignored...  I never got the other fella's name - there was no need for that...  nevertheless, there was no need to ignore him because I didn't know him, neither was there any need to over-indulge in the converstation...   we had our little chat about the car and were both on our way....

I will never understand why people use the confused or sad emoji on nice posts like this and your previous one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I will never understand why people use the confused or sad emoji on nice posts like this and your previous one. 

AN should remove these annoying confused emoji's.

They are antagonizing, if people are confused regarding your comment, ask a question.

I reckon some members are acting like children just posting these emoji's to provoke and annoy others.

Why did AN remove NAMES?

When your name was shown it was more controlled, now it's out of control. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why did AN remove NAMES?

I have said repeatedly that they should restore the user name /to  emoji

reaction   view  so that everyone knows who used such and such emoji

The "offended" party can the ask the emoji giver for an "explanation"

emoji giver can then respond,ignore or tell the complainer were to go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

As a rule, I tend to avoid the falangs in groups and the bully types who are looking for conversation all over public spaces. After a few drinks, they can go from stupid to very stupid. Far to many have numb brains due to excessive drinking or drug consumption. The place is not the same it was 10 years ago and there is lot's of anger all around as people are more and more broke and cannot affort the pussy as much as before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Omg

You could write a 4 page letter even better,  asking for a explanation 

You could demand a detailed analysis of it 

Edited by georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

As a rule, I tend to avoid the falangs in groups and the bully types who are looking for conversation all over public spaces. After a few drinks, they can go from stupid to very stupid. Far to many have numb brains due to excessive drinking or drug consumption. The place is not the same it was 10 years ago and there is lot's of anger all around as people are more and more broke and cannot affort the pussy as much as before.

Very well said 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do....   a couple of particularly posters post the confused emoji next to all of my posts...

... They are just idiotic trolls, I know who the main culprits are, the patterns of when they are online make it obvious. 

The mods can also see who posts what emoji - so they can probably tell who's been trolling... 

I see some other posters area also trolled in this manner... I see the patterns on their posts too, when they make a sensible comment, yet someone places a confused emoji on every comment they make, its then fairly easy to tell (or rather guess) who else was trolling them.

Some weak minded children post these emojis and hide behind the anonymity - the forum should go back to allowing us to see who agreed / disagreed with the post - at least its more honest that way.

Well said Richard 

I don't know who has posted a "sad" emoji on your post ...shocking 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

AN should remove these annoying confused emoji's.

They are antagonizing, if people are confused regarding your comment, ask a question.

I reckon some members are acting like children just posting these emoji's to provoke and annoy others.

Why did AN remove NAMES?

Oh absolutely!

Shocking ! It's a tragedy 

No ...we agree all mate ,now you been the one to write the CEO of ASEAN Now a complaint letter and don't worry we will all back you up if you need us ....just don't mention our names !

1 hour ago, johng said:

I have said repeatedly that they should restore the user name /to  emoji

reaction   view  so that everyone knows who used such and such emoji

emoji giver can then respond,ignore or tell the complainer were to go.

Also there should be a clear 'Don't Agree' emoji.

Yes some are nasty (or just straight out weird)

I was in a popular bar last week where strangers often share the same table as no room. I was on my phone checking emails and messages and this guy who just sat down opposite me had a very loud go at me for being on my phone! It was a sarcastic swipe about phones but I swear it was like my best friend was just offended by how rude I was for being on my phone instead of talking to him! I just stared at him in amazement then shook my head and went back to my phone without saying a word. Pissed him off even more 😆 

(Note I was not on youtube or FaceTime or a call, this was silent reading of my phone)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yes some are nasty (or just straight out weird)

I was in a popular bar last week where strangers often share the same table as no room. I was on my phone checking emails and messages and this guy who just sat down opposite me had a very loud go at me for being on my phone! It was a sarcastic swipe about phones but I swear it was like my best friend was just offended by how rude I was for being on my phone instead of talking to him! I just stared at him in amazement then shook my head and went back to my phone without saying a word. Pissed him off even more 😆 

(Note I was not on youtube or FaceTime or a call, this was silent reading of my phone)

No need to be arrogant Pattaya57

Listen to people and show empathy 

9 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

I tend to avoid the falangs in groups and the bully types who are looking for conversation all over public spaces. After a few drinks, they can go from stupid to very stupid. Far to many have numb brains due to excessive drinking or drug consumption. The place is not the same it was 10 years ago and there is lot's of anger all around

There are far more narcissists than 10 years ago it seems. I blame the drugs, the lockdowns, chronic crooked politicians of every stripe, and too much screens time and (anti)social media, Fakebook and the like.

Lets say it's 1984 in Thailand. Guaranteed the percentage of a-holes would be much, much lower.

14 hours ago, AndreasHG said:

Unfortunately, many farang are just wrecks standing on their last leg here in Thailand, especially in Pattaya and Sukhumvit soi 11.
A real embarrassment to all the decent farangs out there.

If you think that which you see on Soi 11 represents the nadir Of farang life in Bangkok then you haven't bothered walking down to 7/1