Thai American lawyer advises that it is illegal for non-Thais to give Thai tax advice

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I tend to believe that information is true -- that it is illegal.

See my comment above - purely my opinion :wink:

However this guy is conflating 2/3 issues - change to tax regs, advice and NIT. Personally I found the article on NIT he refers to a bit of a storm in a tea cup and there has been little comment about it which I believe is as it should be.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This seems to me to be a big deal.

Tax advice given by non Thais is basically what we've been seeing online, here, youtube, facebook, etc. in the wake of the TAX HYSTERIA unleashed by the announcement of one change in Thai tax law about timing of transferred funds.

I tend to believe that information is true -- that it is illegal.

So all of you that have been swept up in the hysteria -- it seems to me you've mostly been listening to illegally given advice.

Sure personally I'm paying some attention to news about tax situation going forward, but I'm also concerned about what seems to me a budding huge industry in selling advice about an only possibly changing situation that nobody really knows enough about to be an expert about, foreigner or Thai.

On the other hand, I think there might be something to getting advice on structuring your finances proactively with consideration to how this might all eventually shake out.

At this point, I’m mostly interested in the psychological aspects of how the hysterical people will react next year when nothing at all happens. Will they double down? Or “memory hole” it as if it  never happened, like the 5G tower conspiracy theorists did? 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

The Drama Queen topic heading makes it sound like people discussing the Thai Tax Rules on this forum would be breaking the law and also the bar room talk. Total rubbish.

No one said that discussing the subject was illegal, it is the giving official advice (as an advisor) on the subject that would be considered illegal.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

The Drama Queen topic heading makes it sound like people discussing the Thai Tax Rules on this forum would be breaking the law and also the bar room talk. Total rubbish.

No, I took it to mean foreigners publishing video advice while fronting for companies in Thailand were breaking the law. If you ain't being paid, you aren't breaking the law.

But foreigners are prohibited from working in Financial and legal services in Thailand.

Obviously they can work as office managers, but once interacting with the public are obviously criminals.