A Call for António Guterres’ Resignation: No Longer a Laughing Matter

Social Media

Just imagine the UN listening to nonsense. 

UN: Mr. Putin, we should open a dialog to solve this problem. 

Putin: no problem, let's meet and discuss. 

UN: we want to meet but cannot meet. Can we have a meeting where we don't have to meet?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I think you're confusing Europe with the European Union, Ukraine is indeed part of Europe.

Ukraine is also part of the world, and the world is not at war, at least not yet. 

7 hours ago, connda said:

Synopsis:

The US defacto uni-polar 'empire' of the "rules-based international order" (The US makes the rules and the world follows its orders) - The author considers to be Good
V.S
The nascent, emerging multi-polar world based on international law arbitrated with the framework of the United Nations, which is based on a charter recognizing mutual respect for the interests of all members nations - The author considers to be Bad

The former representing approximately 1 billion people whose countries have a history of colonial exploitation and whose leaders and corporate stakeholders care primarily for their own interests at the expense of their citizenry.
V.S.
The latter representing the other 7 billion people of the Eurasia and the Global South (the Global South historically being the object of colonial exploitation) from which they are now actively rejecting, and whose leaders are seeking to pull their populations out of poverty and into a middle-class existence where there are 7 billion active consumers of products made and traded within the BRICS economic union making it capable of running in isolation from the former.

The author?  A cheerleader for "old colonialism" and a uni-polar, "exceptional" hegemon.
UN Secretary-General Guterres?  The leader of the "United Nations," the majority of the world's sovereign nations, and as such the individual looking out for the interests of the majority which now falls within the sphere of interests of the ever growing economic community of BRICS-nations. 

The US is empire in decline; BRICS is a new-world order in ascent. 

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'

- Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin'

Several 'inaccuracies' in your post. 😁

There are not 7b people in BRICS+.

There is no BRICS economic union, not even a trade deal.

BRICS countries are not particularly known for respecting international laws backed by the U.N., and in particular Russia and China.

In addition, while it is obvious that a more multipolar world will emerge some day, I doubt it will be better. I doubt that being dominated by China, Russia or India will be better for smaller countries, than being dominated by the U.S.

I thought the job of the UN Secretary-General was to try to resolve conflicts between members by diplomacy i.e. talking to the leaders of the nations concerned. The OP suggests that he should only be talking to those leaders approved by NATO and the US.

While I agree that he may not be very good at his job, asking him to do it with one hand tied behind his back is a ludicrous proposal. You might as well disband the UN immediately.

• Confused 1