(Not) paying tax for my motorcycle - consequences?

I have to admit since Covid I didn't pay any tax for my motorcycle.

I renewed the insurance, because I could do that by mail. But I didn't ask my dealer to present my bike to the (transportation?) office for inspection and paying taxes.

Is that a problem? And if, in what way is it a problem?

I own the bike, and the bike has low milage. Likely I will never sell it.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe some more information from the past.

Once I owned a bike which I didn't use for years. Later I asked someone competent in a big bike shop about what I can do if I want to use the bike again. He told me I just have to pay the taxes from the last years and all will be fine.

I never did that, I sold that bike like it was. So, I can't confirm myself if this works.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Presumably no compulsory insurance and tax? just other insurance?

If police stop you it's 1000 baht now i think?

I have the government insurance.

I can just tell an agent to renew it for me. I transfer money and receive the insurance document per mail.

Because my bike is older than 5 years it has to be presented and inspected when taxes are paid.

Why didn't I do it? Simple answer: because I was lazy and didn't think it's important.

The insurance is important, that's why I renewed that one. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can just tell an agent to renew it for me. I transfer money and receive the insurance document per mail.

Because my bike is older than 5 years it has to be presented and inspected when taxes are paid.

Why didn't I do it? Simple answer: because I was lazy and didn't think it's important.

Usually the agent gets both plus does inspection 

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The problem with insurance companies is they look for loopholes to escape from paying out.  So if your bike doesn't have the proper paperwork, perhaps they use that as an excuse to deny a claim should you need to file a claim.  Something to consider.

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ask yourself, would you think same in your home country?

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your insurance is probably useless, as illegal to drive an 'unregistered' MB.  Way too easy for them to deny a claim.  UP2U

Not a fan of ins or taxes, but really is inexpensive, and protects you if you do hurt someone.  Whether your fault of not.  Sh!t happens :coffee1:

Beat me too it.  We're often on the same page.

• Agree 1

I think I read somewhere after 3 years of not paying tax the green book and number plate is void, need to re-register the bike at DLT, pain in the neck...! 

I'm surprised you ignored it and not paid tax, it's very simple... 

I'm not saying that's the case here, but those who don't pay tax usually is because don't want to go for inspection because they have a dodgy exhaust or changed paint or something like that which fails inspection - one of my friends included (!) ..., they usually say forgot, but there's more to it..., if that's not you, then just go and do it, takes 5 min for inspection ..., + 15 min queue to pay tax at DLT...! 

P. S. I also think insurance company may not pay up when it comes to claims with no tax...!