Addiction

Badrabbit

One thing for pain and mental state is an app named Headspace.

As I said in a previous post, I worked with a Clinical Psychologist for about 6 months.

(Luckily my company paid all the bills.)

He taught me hypnosis. At the end I could control my panic attacks and get my pain level from about 8 down to 4, which was huge for me.

For years and still today I use the app. Maybe because I've had a lot of meditation experience, but now 20mins can take me to a calm place and help set up the rest of the day.

The Headspace app was origionally started by a monk who spent years at monostaries. He has since left the app. but some of the meditation programs in the app are still great for controlling pain and generally being in a good headspace.

For me I just repeat the 365 day program, but there is a specific Pain Managment meditation.

As with addiction, meditation takes time to work.

Also the simple act every morning of walking out to give rice to the monks, sets up the day. 

Like in the old days we used say The Lord's Prayer before eating.

I'm not really religious, but when you have 24/7 pain your mind eventually gets possed by the pain and you think about it all the time, so if you can include meditation to help break the pain cycle, why wouldn't you?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How much are you assuming a simple doctor consultation is going to cost?

I was referring to in patient re-hab, I know a doctor would be about 2500bht for a consultation.

Edited by Badrabbit

On 10/26/2024 at 6:16 PM, CanadaSam said:

With any addiction, tapering off is the way to go.

But it takes a lot of awareness, and effort, to do it.

Keep track of when you take the pills, start by reducing intake by 10-20% per day, in about a week, you will be down to negligible amounts, when you can stop completely without any ill effects.

BTW the same goes for alcohol.

On 10/25/2024 at 10:37 PM, Badrabbit said:

I've got my self into a big big mess, been using Tramadol since my pains started approx 4 yrs ago(I think) taking 1 50mg tablet every six hours even though I didn't have any pain (taking them to stop pain returning) people warned me as did the Hospital but I was so scared of the pain returning that I foolishly kept taking the tablets, I've not taken the tablets for 1 day now, im in terrible pain, my body feels like it's electrified, I don't know how to make myself better, I'm at my wits end.

I know I've been stupid, the tramadol made me pain free.

I'm not looking for a telling off just helpful advice as to how I can make myself better.

Am I experiencing withdrawal, it's awful.

My gf is with me so I am not on my own, this is not nice for her.

Never thought this would happen to me,  I'm 68.

In my desperation I've taken 2 50 mg tablets to try and stop the pain, it's worked, not better just more bearable, how do I go on from now, I never want to take Tramadol again.

Have you checked out https://thailandrehabguide.com/blogs/thailand-rehab-monastery/

The price may be right up your alley, and they do have a success rate.  

that has become a habit or addiction on your own, especially when pain is involved, is very difficult.  Being ina location that can help you and with people that will have empathy for you is a good thing.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Not an expert at this at all, but id go 3/4 of a pill for a couple of weeks, then down to 1/2 a pill for a couple of weeks then down to a quarter for a couple of weeks, and then try to stop. If I couldn't drop from 3/4 to a half in a couple of weeks, maybe try a month, etc. Seeking professional help is best.

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Will the three days make all the difference?   5555

87 sounds better than 90.

From my experience 3 months give up is a great start, then 3 years you're probably there.

At least that was my experience giving up smoking. 🙂

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Painkillers only treat the cause of an illness. Go to the doctor and get advice on how to treat the cause of your pain!

The cause of his pain is withdrawal. He is addicted to tramadol. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jeppeinasia said:

Not an expert at this at all, but id go 3/4 of a pill for a couple of weeks, then down to 1/2 a pill for a couple of weeks then down to a quarter for a couple of weeks, and then try to stop. If I couldn't drop from 3/4 to a half in a couple of weeks, maybe try a month, etc. Seeking professional help is best.

Tramadol  is a capsule. Ultracet is s tablet but cannot be split. So 1/2, 1/4 etc are not options. He has to work wuth dosages of 37.5 or 50 and number of doses per day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I was referring to in patient re-hab, I know a doctor would be about 2500bht for a consultation.

No reason at all to think about costly  inpatient programs. 

Sounds like you have now decided to remain addicted. If in the future you ever decide to come out of the addiction I can refer to doctor specializing in this who can help with medications to control/lessen withdrawal symptoms. But you need to make that decision, and to summon up the determination to follow  through. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No reason at all to think about costly  inpatient programs. 

Sounds like you have now decided to remain addicted. If in the future you ever decide to come out of the addiction I can refer to doctor specializing in this who can help with medications to control/lessen withdrawal symptoms. But you need to make that decision, and to summon up the determination to follow  through. 

No I have not decided to remain addicted, I've been okay for years taking the Tramadol, I honestly can not cope with the withdrawel pain, at some point I might have to tackle it but for the moment I will continue as I am.

I'm obviously no where near as strong as other people when it comes to pain and the awful body relaxing syndrome, 

When the time comes for me to tackle getting rid of this addiction I will contact you for the details of the doctor you have mentioned.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Has his original pain gone? he never seemed to find a cause

No cause was ever found other than the doctor saying "you have nerve pain"

Don't know if the original pain has gone as I have never stopped taking Tramadol, got myself into a big mess 

Edited by Badrabbit

Don't suddenly stop. You have to gradually taper off the dose. Very gradual. From 50 mg every 6 hours ,to either 50 every 7 hours for a week ,or down to 45 mg for a few weeks until maybe after 6 months your body can manage without the drug.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, thecyclist said:

Don't suddenly stop. You have to gradually taper off the dose. Very gradual. From 50 mg every 6 hours ,to either 50 every 7 hours for a week ,or down to 45 mg for a few weeks until maybe after 6 months your body can manage without the drug.

This is what I am trying to do, thanks for commenting.

Internet sources say taking no more than 100mg of tramadol/day is non-addictive.  I've been taking Ultracet (37mg) for two years to alleviate arthritis knee pain. Usually one tablet a day before activity, occasionally two tablets but never at the same time.  Each tablet taken usually gives me about 3 hours of useful pain alleviation.  I never take more than two tablets in a 24 hour period. So far, there seems to be no diminishment of effectiveness over my two years of use. I also will skip a day if no walking activities planned.

For me, Tramadol has been the most effective OTC medication I've tried for pain alleviation.  I understand it's risks and try to take those risks into account with my usage.  I'd hate to see Tramadol demonized as a treatment for whom there is no other easily available alternative.  NSAIDs are not nearly as effective and have their own dangers.  Tramadol is not a "cure" for anything, it's a treatment the consequences of which need to be balanced with it's benefits. 

It's a tragedy that so many very effective pain killers are not available because of overuse, demonization and outright greed by the Pharma industry.

Edited by dddave