2nd Hand Car Magazines For Chiang Mai

elephantkungfu

are there any 2nd hand car magazines specific to chiang mai?

i mean like autotrader or something... when regular people list cars they want to sell.

i know there are for bangkok, but i haven't seen any for chiang mai.

or are there local papers with car listings?

if so.... what are they called?

want to buy a second hand car, but after going to quite a few garages, i get the feeling you would get a better deal buying off a private seller...

There are a couple of big Chiang Mai motoring mags widely available at newsstands. Of course, they're in Thai, but the ads in the back are either in English or with all the pictures, numbers & abbreviations they're easy enough to figure out. I can't remember the names but look at the magazine rack at any Thai bookstore & you shouldn't have trouble finding one.

have you tried www.thai2hand.com ? lots of cars there. biggest of all websites, even for cars. or www.taradrod.com

do a search and filter out chiang mai as an option only.

Good advice from the last 2 posters!

I have owned fewer than 15 cars in 40 years and only 1 was bought new. A Peugeot 204 diesel which was brilliant at getting through snow on its skinny tyres. So don't get one here. In fact, avoid all Pugs here! When you hear an electric fan whirring its guts out at the lights, you know it's attached to a Peugeot in the jam, somewhere. They can cope with the heat in Africa but not here, it seems.

Two years ago I decided on the type of used car I wanted here and noticed that a fellow expat had one. I asked if he was happy and he replied "yes, very, but now I need something bigger." He did me a brilliant deal and the car has obviously been very well maintained. I drove 3 of the same type from dealers in 'used car land' (Sanam Geelar - near the old sports stadium) and they were all over-priced dogs.

Buy second hand, buy from a private owner and buy very carefully. That's the road to happiness, good value and minimal depreciation!