Baht Bus Fare - The Real Story

jinjok

Regarding how much baht bus drivers make. Well, clearly there are too many of them, and clearly they aren't losing money, and clearly they should not be your number one choice when thinking of giving to charity. I agree with the poster who said they do make good money for their low education levels. Sorry if that sound rude to assume they have low education levels, maybe some have advanced degrees, you think?

I see you haven't been to BBU. At BBU we hold weekly discussion on diverse topics such as:

Beowulf and the modern women

Contemporary Logic in a mixed up world

Learning the workds to Puccini whilst driving.

The general theory of relativity as it relates to quantum physics of a baht bus.

Yes, at Baht Bush University we learn many new things.

They're all Einsteins.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While there may be a situation barring free entry to the songtaew market , are you forced to make use of their service? So that side of the market is "free".

YES. ]The songtaews along with their mafia people have made it impossible for a regular taxi to pick up a fare in Pattaya unless the fare is going out of town.

Next time you see Bangkok Taxi (there are no Pattaya Taxis) flag him down to ask a question. In seconds you will see why - A baht bus will pull up behind the taxi and start honking.

Does not matter if you are using the taxi to go out of town. The Thais still shake down the BKK taxi driver. Here is a picture taken of a fake cop shaking down the taxi that I had just about contracted. They want to force the drivers to go through the taxi stands on 2nd road.

post-11376-1189754617.jpg

While there may be a situation barring free entry to the songtaew market , are you forced to make use of their service? So that side of the market is "free".

YES. ]The songtaews along with their mafia people have made it impossible for a regular taxi to pick up a fare in Pattaya unless the fare is going out of town.

Next time you see Bangkok Taxi (there are no Pattaya Taxis) flag him down to ask a question. In seconds you will see why - A baht bus will pull up behind the taxi and start honking.

Does not matter if you are using the taxi to go out of town. The Thais still shake down the BKK taxi driver. Here is a picture taken of a fake cop shaking down the taxi that I had just about contracted. They want to force the drivers to go through the taxi stands on 2nd road.

In actual fact, despite their heavy handed methods of enforcing it, the local transport services have every right to restrict or regulate how Bangkok Taxis operate in their zone.

This is standard practice in most countries.

Back at home if a taxi takes a long trip to a different town, it is not permitted for them to pick up a return trip. By doing so they would be encroaching on another operator's local business. To counter this problem of returning home empty, they factor it into the price.

We should be happy that return trips are sanctioned by the local transport authorities (within their terms) because this is the reason we can get such cheap trips from Bangkok to Pattaya and VERY cheap trip back to Bangkok. If return trip fares were not allowed, taxis would be charging at least 2000 for a trip in either direction.

This is the case in the Philippines when one takes a taxi from Manila to AC which is a similar trip, although shorter in distance. They don't get return trips and therefore will charge 2,500 to 3,000 peso in either direction.

The Taxi Meter service in Pattaya is operated in a reasonable fashion. The taxi driver gets 500 to return to where he must go anyway, and the local transport services charge 300 to organise the ride. Its fair that local services should benefit. It's a win-win-win situation. Tourists win, the Taxi meters win, and the local transport services win.

I can understand the local guys getting upset when cheap charlies try to circumvent the whole operation.

If one day Pattaya gets its own taxi service, its almost a guarantee that the fare to Bangkok (and back) will increase substantially. I would estimate the fare TO Bangkok will more than double.

I'm not part of any Baht Bus fan club. This is all pure economics.

Edited by tropo

If one day Pattaya gets its own taxi service, its almost a guarantee that the fare to Bangkok (and back) will increase substantially. I would estimate the fare TO Bangkok will more than double.

if that happens i will fire our driver, tell my wife to pack, sell the house and leave Thailand. i mean it! :o

p.s. does anybody know the taxi fares in Malaysia? :D

p.s. does anybody know the taxi fares in Malaysia? :o

In Malaysia (KL) there are 3 different taxi rates depending on the service you choose. By different rates I mean their meters tick over faster or slower. The neat looking Silver taxis charge the highest rate. The cheapest ones probably cost about the same as Bangkok Taxi Meters or maybe a little cheaper even (petrol is cheaper in Malaysia)... but they're very old cars.

In KL it's not always easy to get a taxi to stop because they have strict regulations as to where they can pick up passengers.

The Taxi Meter service in Pattaya is operated in a reasonable fashion.

What an elephant load of C R you know what!!!!!!

Pattaya does NOT have a taxi meter service! There is no around town taxi meter service here period.

They are stealing money from Bangkok taxi meters for trips out of town through threats of violence (as mafias always do) even though there is no organized Pattaya specific service. If you don't think there is something VERY ROTTEN going on, talk to the pissed off Bangkok taxi drivers about the crappy money they get for that ride.

If there was a real Pattaya taxi meter service not owned and controlled by the baht bus MAFIA, I think the theory that the fare might go up to Bangkok may be true, or maybe not. Maybe the Bangkok traffic would be kept with the Bangkok taxis, I don't know, and you don't know either. The need is for Bangkok style taxi meters for AROUND PATTAYA! In any case, how often do most people go the airport, and there is competition in minivans and buses. Compare that to the sheer joy of having taxi meters to run around town, go shopping, go to remote restaurants, go to the doctors, etc etc etc. No contest, we need the taxi meters! Who is stopping this? The MAFIA.

Edited by Jingthing

The Taxi Meter service in Pattaya is operated in a reasonable fashion.

What an elephant load of C R you know what!!!!!!

Pattaya does NOT have a taxi meter service! There is no around town taxi meter service here period.

You're the one "C R"ing on here.

It's obvious I'm talking about the Taxi Meter service to Bangkok arranged by local transport operations.

As I said, most taxi services in the WORLD are not allowed to do return trips. Each transport organisation has a zone in which they operate. Tourists and Bangkok Taxi Meters are both fortunate that return fares are allowed in Pattaya by the local transport organisations.

I suppose you've never stopped to think as to why the fare from BKK to Pattaya is 1,400 whereas the return trip is a discounted 800.

Is it not obvious to you that the fares are this cheap because of the allowed return fares? Fares that are allowed by local operators in Pattaya for a 300 baht commission.

Is it not obvious to you that if return fares were not allowed, the price in both directions would be significantly higher?

I'm sorry, but it's about time to stop replying to your C_P. Nice chatting.

In actual fact, despite their heavy handed methods of enforcing it, the local transport services have every right to restrict or regulate how Bangkok Taxis operate in their zone.

The local transport services, that being the Baht Bus Consortium, has the right to regulate another company or entity?

Words have meaning, and too many of you throw words around as if they were cut blades of grass from a lawn mower bag. You assume that if you say something and say a lot of something, that it will be true. You also assume that if you say it enough times, people will believe it.

That most people are vaccuous specimens of open space in their minds is a sad testement to the power of public education.

Now that we have determined Tropo, that you like facts, let's have some factual information backing up your glorious statement.

Show me where in Pattaya, Banglamung, Chonburi that the local transport service HAS THE RIGHT to REGULATE Bangkok Taxis.

Open your mouth for a useful purpose for the first time and back up your statement.

FACTS ONLY.

Not your opinion, not your belief, but facts.

Do it, or shut up.

The local transport services, that being the Baht Bus Consortium, has the right to regulate another company or entity?

Words have meaning, and too many of you throw words around as if they were cut blades of grass from a lawn mower bag. You assume that if you say something and say a lot of something, that it will be true. You also assume that if you say it enough times, people will believe it.

That most people are vaccuous specimens of open space in their minds is a sad testement to the power of public education.

Now that we have determined Tropo, that you like facts, let's have some factual information backing up your glorious statement.

Show me where in Pattaya, Banglamung, Chonburi that the local transport service HAS THE RIGHT to REGULATE Bangkok Taxis.

Open your mouth for a useful purpose for the first time and back up your statement.

FACTS ONLY.

Do it, or shut up.

You're a newby trying to stir the pot here with borderline flame. I'd say you're a banned poster coming back for another round.

You're so short on logical thought, I'll have to add you to my ignore list. Nice chatting.

Back to the topic.

Baht bus fares are 5 baht. 10 baht is demanded from white people in a racist scheme to equalize a perceived inequity between uneducated thugs (baht bus drivers) and white foreigners who are perceived to have more money.

On one side are those who have no moral backbone. They will cajole those of us who believe that inequity is wrong by calling us cheap charlies and they will always refer to a land far away in reference to how much things cost.

On the other side are those who do understand morality and prefer not to be cheated.

You may all begin.

Back to the topic.

Baht bus fares are 5 baht. 10 baht is demanded from white people in a racist scheme to equalize a perceived inequity between uneducated thugs (baht bus drivers) and white foreigners who are perceived to have more money.

On one side are those who have no moral backbone. They will cajole those of us who believe that inequity is wrong by calling us cheap charlies and they will always refer to a land far away in reference to how much things cost.

On the other side are those who do understand morality and prefer not to be cheated.

You may all begin.

Pretty good summary and of course I agree this is racism, but the other reason they get away with it is because we not only let them get away with it, so many of us are incredibly, actually on their side, the side of racists, the side of violent thugs, the side of mafia, the side of dark forces which prevent real improvement in Pattaya public transport, the side of greedy thieves.

BTW: please do not bother calling me a CC (cheapskate Charles) because I do pay the racist mafia fares but I pay in full awareness that I am capitulating to a mafia. I support those who resist by not paying as they are braver than me, but I just can't risk the potential violence. I am paying to avoid violence.

Also, please do not compare Pattaya mafia mobiles to a taxi or bus in your home country unless your home country uses open air dirty smoke belching trucks as buses/taxis, and the buses have erratic routes, drugged, violent, racist drivers, and have no transfer system. 5 baht is about right for what this service really is.

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya does NOT have a taxi meter service! There is no around town taxi meter service here period

They are stealing money from Bangkok taxi meters for trips out of town through threats of violence (as mafias always do) even though there is no organized Pattaya specific service. If you don't think there is something VERY ROTTEN going on, talk to the pissed off Bangkok taxi drivers about the crappy money they get for that ride.

If there was a real Pattaya taxi meter service not owned and controlled by the baht bus MAFIA, I think the theory that the fare might go up to Bangkok may be true, or maybe not. Maybe the Bangkok traffic would be kept with the Bangkok taxis, I don't know, and you don't know either. The need is for Bangkok style taxi meters for AROUND PATTAYA! In any case, how often do most people go the airport, and there is competition in minivans and buses. Compare that to the sheer joy of having taxi meters to run around town, go shopping, go to remote restaurants, go to the doctors, etc etc etc. No contest, we need the taxi meters! Who is stopping this? The MAFIA.

But say Pattaya had a taxi meter service - what do you expect the flagfall to be ? Why wouldnt

it be any less than BKK - i.e. 35 bht ? If you dont like paying 10 baht how will you feel about

paying this PLUS the additional fare.

Now we have a means of transport around the main areas for a cheap 10 baht and

if you need to go anywhere else you have the motorbike taxis. I cant see how we

would be better off with a taxi meter service ?

But say Pattaya had a taxi meter service - what do you expect the flagfall to be ? Why wouldnt

it be any less than BKK - i.e. 35 bht ? If you dont like paying 10 baht how will you feel about

paying this PLUS the additional fare.

Now we have a means of transport around the main areas for a cheap 10 baht and

if you need to go anywhere else you have the motorbike taxis. I cant see how we

would be better off with a taxi meter service ?

Great question.

We would be very lucky if the flagfall was the same or less than Bangkok. The reason is that if there is a taxi meter service here it will probably be owned by the baht bus mafia, like happened in Chiang Mai, and we will have much higher fares, so as not to compete too much with the trucks.

A Bangkok rate structure would be wonderful! As it stands now, the rate for a chartered "taxi" mafia mobile is much higher than a Bangkok taxi for the same distance. The taxis are not for all trips. Baht buses would be there for most standard trips. The taxis are there to access more remote locations, when it is too hot or wet, when you want to go further like the hospital, shopping when you are lugging stuff, when you are dressed up going to an upscale place, etc. etc. Competition, not replacement. Casual tourists do not realize what a crappy system we have now. If you live here, you do, and many have resorted to buying their own vehicles. A much greener solution if fewer people had to buy cars and had real taxis available for when they really need a car service.

You would be surprised at how many people will never take moto taxis. They are bloody dangerous.

Edited by Jingthing

. The taxis are not for all trips. Baht buses would be there for most standard trips. The taxis are there to access more remote locations, when it is too hot or wet, when you want to go further like the hospital, shopping when you are lugging stuff, when you are dressed up going to an upscale place, etc. etc. Competition, not replacement. Casual tourists do not realize what a crappy system we have now. If you live here, you do, and many have resorted to buying their own vehicles. A much greener solution if fewer people had to buy cars and had real taxis available for when they really need a car service.

You would be surprised at how many people will never take moto taxis. They are bloody dangerous.

I simply cant see how it would be economically viable to have a fleet of air con

taxis competing with the baht buses ? How can these guys justify paying

for a car then all the running costs hoping to get passengers ?

I just dont think there are enough people who would support

air con taxis and they have to make a living as well :o

I believe that the only time that metered taxis would be effective in Pattaya is very late at night or early morning.

In my situation, because I live about 10km south of Pattaya, to try to get a Songtaew or motorbike taxi at these times (from Pattaya to home or visa versa) invariably costs about 300 Baht, even though there are literally a plethora of these 'services' available at this time of night/morning. BTW, during the day, a Songtaew costs me 25 Baht for the 10km journey.

In another situation, I have mangaged to catch a metered taxi as he was going by my condo. He was a BKK taxi who had just delivered a passenger from BKK to Rayong & was on his way back home. He must've been unaware of the 'mafia' in Pattaya because he happily picked me up, immediately turned on the meter (I didn't have to ask him to do this) & dropped me at my requested destination. This trip cost me 100 Baht as opposed to the 300 Baht the 'mafia' charge.

I have no problem paying the fares, nor am I rich by any means. I do, however, object to being overcharged on principle although I prefer a peaceful life, so I fay the poofteenth extra without bitching.

I totally agree with all the posters who say that this overpricing/charging is race related. I wait for the day that these greedy pigs get their comeupance...& surely they will!

I believe that the only time that metered taxis would be effective in Pattaya is very late at night or early morning.

In my situation, because I live about 10km south of Pattaya, to try to get a Songtaew or motorbike taxi at these times (from Pattaya to home or visa versa) invariably costs about 300 Baht, even though there are literally a plethora of these 'services' available at this time of night/morning. BTW, during the day, a Songtaew costs me 25 Baht for the 10km journey.

In another situation, I have mangaged to catch a metered taxi as he was going by my condo. He was a BKK taxi who had just delivered a passenger from BKK to Rayong & was on his way back home. He must've been unaware of the 'mafia' in Pattaya because he happily picked me up, immediately turned on the meter (I didn't have to ask him to do this) & dropped me at my requested destination. This trip cost me 100 Baht as opposed to the 300 Baht the 'mafia' charge.

I have no problem paying the fares, nor am I rich by any means. I do, however, object to being overcharged on principle although I prefer a peaceful life, so I fay the poofteenth extra without bitching.

I totally agree with all the posters who say that this overpricing/charging is race related. I wait for the day that these greedy pigs get their comeupance...& surely they will!

He picked you up on private property not the street. If he can get away with it, why wouldn't he pick you up. But try flagging one down on the street for a short distance.

He picked you up on private property not the street. If he can get away with it, why wouldn't he pick you up. But try flagging one down on the street for a short distance.

Sorry but this was NOT the case. I was picked up on Sukumvit Rd, which passes by mt condo.

i decided to open a new thread becasue this is the definitive answer and i did not want it to be lost in the related thread.

today i had to go to pattaya mem for a BP check up. normally i walk EVERYWHERE, i loathe songtaews and think the drivers are about the worst representation of thai manners i have ever seen. today was the worst. i 'had' to take the bus (500m mind you) so as to not increase my blood pressure before the chkup.

the price is b5 everywhere save for: dolphin to sukhumvhit, nakula, over jomtien, pattaya tai north late night. those are b10

so i gave the guy b5 and he blew up (and so did my blood pressure). i should have gave him b10 so as to not cause the conflict - but being here 10 yrs and paying this, its just natural.

edit: i told the guy IN THAI > thai's pay five baht, farangs pay five baht -same

the guy repeatedly tried to run me over and then chased me up to (but not into) the hospital. he circled the hospital numerous times with his shrew of a wife in tow.

i called the police and reported that the man attempted to murder me with his vehicle and is now stalking me.

THAI POLICE WORTHLESS FOR FARANG: she stated that if i wanted to take action i had to file a complaint - sound familiar?? if a thai was raped, cracked skull, knifed ... do they have to file a complaint?? no. but i digress.

the woman on the phone CONFIRMED THE DOUBLE PRICING STANDARD. thai pay 5 farang pay 10. i said im here at the hospital - we pay the same. we alsopay the same at the airport, the restaurant, the barber, the cinema... she was speechless - but murmured - but not at the aquarium na. WORTHLESS.

there can be no double pricing FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORT - PERIOD. this is racism pure and simple and to prove this my friends daughter who is thai holding french pp pays 5.

as stated prior - we all know why they do not post the price which is further insulting. it appears they will attept to kill you for paying LESS than 10 - but aer quit ehappy to take MORE than ten from you. in the end - they are <deleted> thieves and i am so sick of this crap and pattaya bs and crime in general i may write to the travel agencies and the iata.

thai police support racist double pricing fully. 100% fact.

and btw - the next time someone tries to kill you - go file a complaint!

the price is 10 - period. i stand corrected as racist this policy, 'law' - whatever is...

HI

I CANT BELIEVE HOW SAD YOU ARE 5 BAHT OR 10 BAHT SO WHAT . I AM FED UP READING ABOUT THE PATTAYA CHEAP CHARLIE THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THE THAI GOVERNMENT WANT TO GET RID OF .THAILAND IS FOR ENJOYING , WHY DONT YOU GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY AND SEE HOW FAR A TAXI WILL TAKE YOU FOR 5 BAHT, NOT TO FAR I WOULD THINK . WHY WORRY HOW MUCH THAI PEOPLE PAY YOU ARE NOT THAI . WISE UP AND START TO ENJOY .

Please note that making posts which could be deemed to be racist and as such offensive is against the forum rules and will not be tolerated under any circumstances. One such post has been removed.

Members who make racist remarks in posts will be suspended.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Pattaya_Fox

HI

I CANT BELIEVE HOW SAD YOU ARE 5 BAHT OR 10 BAHT SO WHAT . I AM FED UP READING ABOUT THE PATTAYA CHEAP CHARLIE THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THE THAI GOVERNMENT WANT TO GET RID OF .THAILAND IS FOR ENJOYING , WHY DONT YOU GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY AND SEE HOW FAR A TAXI WILL TAKE YOU FOR 5 BAHT, NOT TO FAR I WOULD THINK . WHY WORRY HOW MUCH THAI PEOPLE PAY YOU ARE NOT THAI . WISE UP AND START TO ENJOY .

P.E.

I agree with most of what you say but, please note that 5/10baht is for a bus ride not a taxi fare.

Another point raised in this thread is the issue of BKK Meter Taxi's picking up fares, here in the UK only Taxi's licensed for the area you are in are allowed to pick you up if you hail them or at taxi ranks, but other taxi's and private hire cars are able to pick you up from any place you designate if you pre-book.

BB

Another point raised in this thread is the issue of BKK Meter Taxi's picking up fares, here in the UK only Taxi's licensed for the area you are in are allowed to pick you up if you hail them or at taxi ranks, but other taxi's and private hire cars are able to pick you up from any place you designate if you pre-book.

This is so IRRELEVANT for talking about Pattaya, Pattaya has NO taxi meters for our locality and probably never will because of the baht bus mafia. You might as well be comparing it to taxi rules on the moon.

Edited by Jingthing

Open your mouth for a useful purpose for the first time and back up your statement.FACTS ONLY.

Do it, or shut up .

Let me try to put this in language that is a little easier to understand.

Bangkok Taxis are BANGKOK taxis which work in BANGKOK and pick up passengers in BANGKOK. They are registered for use in BANGKOK and are only authorised to pick up passengers in BANGKOK.

BANGKOK TAXIS cannot go to different cities such as Banglamung, Chonburi and Pattaya and expect to start picking up passengers. This would be against the laws regulating taxis and public transport.

There is an arrangement with the Bangkok Taxi Meters and local Pattaya transport services that they can get a return fare which is set by the local transport services.

This is very beneficial for tourists because they can get cheap trips to Bangkok and cheap trips from Bangkok to Pattaya. If Taxi Meters could only get one way fares, then they would have to charge a lot more for the trip to Pattaya and fares by local transport services to Bangkok would be more than double.

Some people get upset over the way local Pattaya services and baht bus drivers become aggressive when they see Bangkok Taxi Meters trying to get their own fares on the streets of Pattaya. It's actually quite typical human behaviour when someone tries to steal business away from someone else.

For example, imagine what would happen if a New York City cab tried to pick up business in Boston City, Washington DC or New Jersey. There would be big trouble and a lot more than you see in Pattaya.

Imagine a taxi from Birmingham trying to pick up business in London.

Imagine a taxi from Melbourne trying to pick up business in Sydney.

There's a good chance of a severe bashing in some of the above examples apart from the fact that the activities are illegal and the offending taxi driver could be charged.

The system in Pattaya works very well and we get very cheap transport to Bangkok.

Leave well enough alone. Any change would result in much higher fares.

Edited by tropo

This is so IRRELEVANT for talking about Pattaya, Pattaya has NO taxi meters for our locality and probably never will because of the baht bus mafia. You might as well be comparing it to taxi rules on the moon.

Irrespective of whether or not there are taxis in Pattaya, Pattaya has it's own transport services (ie. private cars and baht buses) which operate in the area. Right now, whether you like it or not, they have exclusive right to all business in the area.

If one day Pattaya gets its own taxis, Bangkok Taxi Meters will still not be able to pick up passengers in Pattaya.

Taxis in Pattaya would be nice, particularly for people who live outside the regular bus routes, but along with them would come higher prices to Bangkok because if they came to Pattaya, then certainly Bangkok Taxi Meters would be returning empty.

Edited by tropo

If one day Pattaya gets its own taxis, Bangkok Taxi Meters will still not be able to pick up passengers in Pattaya.

I don't really care if they can or they can't. I do care that a violent mafia is stopping Pattaya from having a comprehensive LOCAL public transport system. You are focusing on a NON-ISSUE. The issue is the system here.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't really care if they can or they can't. I do care that a violent mafia is stopping Pattaya from having a comprehensive LOCAL public transport system. You are focusing on a NON-ISSUE. The issue is the system here.

I am focusing on one issue, you are focusing on another, yet they are both issues. Why would you consider your issues to be the only valid issues?

I've already explained clearly that violence is not unexpected in such situations.

Come to Australia and try to get in a non-local taxi encroaching on another's business. Maybe in Pattaya they get a little boisterous, but does anyone actually get injured? Do Taxi Meters get damaged?