Another Dead Tourist

mark100

Tha Pattaya Mail reports today of another foreign tourist dying in an accident on beach road Pattaya on Aug 31.

The man believed to be from the middle east died trying to pull a wheelie in front of some beer bars and hit a post at the side of the road.

At present you can show your passport and rent any superbike you like with no proof of a motorcycle licence, and l think the large majority of people renting don't have one. This guy was drunk so having a licence or not would not have affected the outcome, but l think something has to be done.

:o

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tha Pattaya Mail reports today of another foreign tourist dying in an accident on beach road Pattaya on Aug 31.

The man believed to be from the middle east died trying to pull a wheelie in front of some beer bars and hit a post at the side of the road.

At present you can show your passport and rent any superbike you like with no proof of a motorcycle licence, and l think the large majority of people renting don't have one. This guy was drunk so having a licence or not would not have affected the outcome, but l think something has to be done.

:D

I have noticed a lot of Arabs racing around Pattaya on large motrobikes recently - cant say i feel any sympathy. Just glad he didnt kill any innocent people :o

Edited by pointofview

I have noticed a lot of Arabs racing around Pattaya on large motrobikes recently - cant say i feel any sympathy. Just glad he didnt kill any innocent people :o

Without being racist have to say l think the arabs are the worst for this, quite a number have died over the last few years, shame really some proper training might have saved a few of them.

Most of the accidents l've seen involve R1's this is way to much power for a novice with no experience.

Without being racist have to say l think the arabs are the worst for this, quite a number have died over the last few years, shame really some proper training might have saved a few of them.

Most of the accidents l've seen involve R1's this is way to much power for a novice with no experience.

No! Young guys from all over the world travel/go to Pattaya for its obvious reasons. I remember a few (quite a few) years ago two young Brits were there. They both hired big bikes, got pissed and to cut a long story short, one of them avoided hitting a little kid wrecking his bike and himself and his friend, 'racing' behind him also came off. First guy had one smashed up big rental bike and a load of broken bones and his mate pretty much the same. No insurance at all so their three week holiday turned into a one week nightmare.

Big bikes, alchohol, people (from what ever country), in a foreign country are a lethal mix!

No! Young guys from all over the world travel/go to Pattaya for its obvious reasons. I remember a few (quite a few) years ago two young Brits were there. They both hired big bikes, got pissed and to cut a long story short, one of them avoided hitting a little kid wrecking his bike and himself and his friend, 'racing' behind him also came off. First guy had one smashed up big rental bike and a load of broken bones and his mate pretty much the same. No insurance at all so their three week holiday turned into a one week nightmare.

Big bikes, alchohol, people (from what ever country), in a foreign country are a lethal mix!

Please im not trying to single out the arabs, l've seen enough dead english/german and a few swedish boys over the years, it's just the last 2 years quite a few arab boys have died.

lt's a shame when anyone dies needlessly regardless of what country they come from.

This is true. But why single out Pattaya?

You ever see the death totals for motorbike riders in the Derbyshire district of the UK?

Or in the Border regions of Scotland?

Pattaya gets away lightly.

Would agree with you there Steve, the only thing to consider is the number of deaths versus the amount of large capacity bikes on the road, in the UK for the amount of big bikes the deaths are to be expected, in Thailand and especially Pattaya where you can rent superbikes with no licence, the amont of deaths versus bikes on the road is shocking (not including bikes under 400cc).

My point is maybe the police should think about enforcing some laws with regards to motorbike rentals, and hopefully reduce fatal accidents.

Yup, you can't stop the locals renting out the speed machines, it's business at the end of the day. I've seen it in Spain and Greece right through to Thailand, nothing changes. Go with the flow and let what happens happen. You just gotta act responsible and not take the piss, if you don't then it's pavement time.

You ever see the death totals for motorbike riders in the Derbyshire district of the UK?

Would agree with you there Steve, the only thing to consider is the number of deaths versus the amount of large capacity bikes on the road, in the UK for the amount of big bikes the deaths are to be expected, in Thailand and especially Pattaya where you can rent superbikes with no licence, the amont of deaths versus bikes on the road is shocking (not including bikes under 400cc).

My point is maybe the police should think about enforcing some laws with regards to motorbike rentals, and hopefully reduce fatal accidents.

The police aint going to enforce nothing, they will be paid of by the people who rent the bikes out, they only care for money, not safety or human life. I do agree with you 100%, but it is wish-full thinking, and the young people they dont care as well, a few drinks and they all think they are Evil Knievil.

Regards

I wonder if more money is made from compensation for repairing the bikes than the actual rental fees? :o

Tony you have hit the nail on the head, l have a thai friend who rents bikes on beach road Pattaya, he charges well over the odds if someone has an accident, he freely admits this because he has the police and his very powerful family on his side, people always pay up or they go to the monkey house.

He does have a problem with spare parts, most come from Japan so it justifies some of his costs, the rest are a rip off.

The scam is in the smaller bikes and mopeds made here in Thailand, if somebody has an accident on one of these, the parts are readily available and very cheap but they don't tell this to the unsuspecting tourists.

lf you go to his very large house you will see a bike graveyard, maybe 20-30 crashes bikes, some are write-offs, some are put back together using doner parts from many other bikes.

So without a doubt this is most definitely a buisness, but l also think it's a big headache sourcing parts.

Have to say these people have always been very good to me, in the days before l owned my own bikes l used to rent from them all the time and never had any problems. They even imported my CBR600RR for me it was black and i had the first one in Thailand, people used to stop me in the street just to look at the bike, it was great !!

At present you can show your passport and rent any superbike you like with no proof of a motorcycle licence, and l think the large majority of people renting don't have one. This guy was drunk so having a licence or not would not have affected the outcome, but l think something has to be done. :o

Something was done, and as harsh as it sounds, this guys now out of the equation. Drunk, driving/riding like a d**khead and acting the clown. Really no sympathy here. As one poster said, at least he didnt take someone with him............

Maybe the common denominator here is Brits? Relax already, I'm a Brit also and just poking fun at your wording. LOL

:o

What planet are you on

Obviously not the same one as you......thank god :D

dont you mean Lucifer :o

• 2 months later...

What planet are you on

Obviously not the same one as you......thank god :D

dont you mean Lucifer :o

To be honest. One less silly boy who cares not about Thailand, just about himself playing drunken tricks in Pattaya.... I dont care

It is not a case of singleing out Pattaya this is about the death of a tourist. You do persist in making your point about derbyshire and the scotish borders but cant see your point. Pattaya is mayhem for motor bike deaths and as a few have said already there seems to be a lot of arabs driving around like lunatics at the momemt. They bring there bad habits with them. I must say when i hear of a death like this i feel nothing but contempt for the dead guy - he could have easily destroyed innocent peoples lives

Edited by pointofview

You do persist in making your point about derbyshire and the scotish borders but cant see your point. Pattaya is mayhem for motor bike deaths and as a few have said already there seems to be a lot of arabs driving around like lunatics at the momemt. They bring there bad habits with them.

All i can see is one post relating to Derbyshire and Scotland. Thats hardly " persisting "

And now all Arabs are lunatics with bad habits?

Can,t see your point really. :o

You do persist in making your point about derbyshire and the scotish borders but cant see your point. Pattaya is mayhem for motor bike deaths and as a few have said already there seems to be a lot of arabs driving around like lunatics at the momemt. They bring there bad habits with them.

All i can see is one post relating to Derbyshire and Scotland. Thats hardly " persisting "

And now all Arabs are lunatics with bad habits?

Can,t see your point really. :o

I think your wrong to say all arabs are lunatics with bad habits!

Not whilst plod have easy pickings when stopping a tourist on a bike & collecting 400BHT "tea money" they wont do anything....unfortunately.

Blame the people who rent the bikes? Blame the police? That's a big part of the problems of today. NO ONE is responsible for their own actions. IMHO any tourist who rents a motorcycle in Pattaya has a death wish.

Please im not trying to single out the arabs, l've seen enough dead english/german and a few swedish boys over the years, it's just the last 2 years quite a few arab boys have died.

Why single out Thailand?

Why single out motorbikes? Serious accidents happen in cars too, actually a couple more than on bikes.

Why single out death? Horrible injuries.

Let's all not single out anything then we can all shut up or chatter about nothing.

I was staying at the Siam Bayshore at the far end of walking street a couple of weeks ago when some european tool on a big bike did a wheelie down that part of the road, right in front of a policeman. It was funny seeing him get busted but it's not so funny the dangerous way these idiots drive.

Nice comment. Just so you know, Arabs are by far one of the best drivers in the world. This could happen to anyone.

After learning to first ride in Cambodia, getting special ninja style no holds bar training, I have been riding for a bit over 2 weeks now and noticed it's all about how many eyes you have and how quick you are to react to obstacles. I have done 150cc, going to try 400cc tomorrow and hopefully work my way up to 1000cc which I won't be riding in daytime, traffic, or low speed streets. Got my helmet, looking for leather pants, and I should be set. Life is too good to do anything suicidal so I will consider that when riding.

Nice comment. Just so you know, Arabs are by far one of the best drivers in the world. This could happen to anyone.

After learning to first ride in Cambodia, getting special ninja style no holds bar training, I have been riding for a bit over 2 weeks now and noticed it's all about how many eyes you have and how quick you are to react to obstacles. I have done 150cc, going to try 400cc tomorrow and hopefully work my way up to 1000cc which I won't be riding in daytime, traffic, or low speed streets. Got my helmet, looking for leather pants, and I should be set. Life is too good to do anything suicidal so I will consider that when riding.

Have to assume you're an Arab, I don't know anyone else who would agee with your first statement :D

As to the other highlighted comments, only 2 weeks riding + 1000cc (or even 400cc) = not long for this world. PLEASE get some more miles under your belt before 'graduating' to a big bike.