Kitchen Hygiene

Yorkshire Lass

Hi everyone

Having suffered from food poisoning in the past (NOT pleasant :D ), I am particularly fussy about kitchen hygiene. I have struggled since living in Chiang Mai to get hold of a thick bleach or a spray bleach equivalent of Domestos. The only products I have seen in the supermarket are for toilets - or maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

What products are used in Thai catering kitchens? My maid seems to think a quick wipe of the kitchen surface with a wet cloth is sufficient :o !!!!

Thanks for your help.

YL

Washing a smooth impervious surface with dish detergent and then rinsing is all it takes...no special disinfecting is needed....unless perhaps your immune system is not working properly.

..or unless she's Mysophobic. But then Thailand wouldn't really be the place to be. :o

I use diluted Haiter bleach in a spray bottle. Can be found in all stores.

I, too, use diluted Haiter bleach for cleaning and bugs, specially in the kitchen where I do not want to use "DDT" all the time (or any time). It work well, for me, with the ubiquitous ants, until the next food spill. I use it frequently on the garbage bin, and it kills the ants there and keeps the rest away for a couple of days.

I do not know how it compares in strength to U.S. Clorox, but I use it successfully in the laundry, also. I use it so much (spray bottles in the kitchens, bathrooms, laundry room....) the maid even made a comment to my wife, "He really like Haiter, doesn't he?"

Ditto for me too....lol. This is turning into a Mr. Mom thread, what with the guys and their housecleaning tips!

I have a large spray bottle, purchased at Tesco Lotus Express. I use about a 1:5 mix (Haiter white bleach:water). Use it on food prep surfaces (wipe up afterwards with wet sponge), in the bath on the tiles (kills all mildew), toilet (disinfects), etc. Just bought a bottle today- on sale now at Tops for 20 B with a Tops card.... :o

McG

I use diluted Haiter bleach in a spray bottle. Can be found in all stores.

I, too, use diluted Haiter bleach for cleaning and bugs, specially in the kitchen where I do not want to use "DDT" all the time (or any time). It work well, for me, with the ubiquitous ants, until the next food spill. I use it frequently on the garbage bin, and it kills the ants there and keeps the rest away for a couple of days.

I do not know how it compares in strength to U.S. Clorox, but I use it successfully in the laundry, also. I use it so much (spray bottles in the kitchens, bathrooms, laundry room....) the maid even made a comment to my wife, "He really like Haiter, doesn't he?"

yip, another Haiter bleach fan/user here. Im sure its 6% sodium hypochlorite in strength so will whiten just about everything, kill germs.

I also spray ( in dilluted form) the shower now and again, to rid the black stains in the grouting, a job that you just spray and walk away. Also spray on slippery algae paving, counter tops, bathrooms. I dont use it anywhere my laundry thou. Bad idea, unless you have whites.

I also tip some in our outdoor water feature to keep it slime free.

I think Demestos has a detergent in it as well so ends up as a cleaner/sanitiser, so its thicker?

maybe us boys should swap some cookie receipes over coffee sometime :o