Bangkok Bank Atm Displaying Account Balance

The last 2 times I have withdrawn money from my BB savings account , the ATM machine has displayed my balance in 1/2 inch high numbers across the screen and no paper receipt. I don't remember this happening before.

I don't particularly like the idea of any passer-by being given a look at my bank balance like this, the possible consequences are pretty obvious. To me this seems to be very unprofessional conduct on the part of the bank, and possibly a breach of the normal customer - client confidentiality (if indeed such a thing exists in Thailand) that one expects from a bank.

Any other views on this?

There seems to have been an update to allow the user to select whether to print a receipt or not. If memory serves the system always displayed the balance, but since you have to make a selection now, it's possible that you are a} more aware of it and b} it's on screen for longer whilst you decide.

Regards

I've always seen my balance on the screen and i have no problem with it. I don't want my wallet full of receipts but i do want to know how much money i have. If you are worried about someone else seeing, go to an atm that is not overlooked by people.

Actually I used to use other banks ATM’s because of the option to not get a paper receipt. Now that Bangkok Bank allows me to do this I am back to using their ATM’s.

As for others seeing my balance – it really does not bother me.

It's quite quite disgraceful. I don't know how we manage to get through each day.

I think if you dig deep enough you'll see that this is a deliberate anti-farang strategy. Think about it. It's us who have all the money. By putting how much we have in plain sight of everyone, the bank is obviously sending signals to passersby, indicating our 'mugging-worthability".

The answer, of course, is simple. Become a teacher.

Edited by bendix

i guess the reason it doesnt bother me because I REALLY NEED THE BIG NUMBERS to see that small money i have in my account.

if it bothers you, withdraw money in the bank, and use the card only to shop maybe.

as an alternative, change bank? :o

It does not appear possible to prevent the account balance being thrown-up in big numbers on the screen. The NO PAPER RECEIPT option occurs after the balance is displayed, but if you are quick you can press this option and the screen amount clears.

Still seems like a strange way to look after your customers interests to me.

Maybe they are trying to persuade us to stand for political office by having our assets publically declared like this!

Happened to me too only this lucious creature standing behind me saw it and gave me her best smile and "how are you?" just before my wife grabbed my hand and briskly whisked me away to our car full of children. The smile was worth it!

It is recommended that all over the world when using an ATM machine to stand very close so your body blocks the screen (and keyboard) from casual passersby’s being able to see it. Only someone standing directly behind you, looking over your shoulder should be able to see it.

I do agree with Bendix that this is another obvious anti-farang move on the part of the Thai conspiracy to make life so difficult we all leave. :o

TH

If you are paranoid about this (and I can understand why) stand really close to the screen so as to block it out of view from any other people waiting.

Good practice actually because that will also deny long range cameras from viewing your card details & PIN number.

Soundman.

Just used the quick withdrawal service on a BB AT. The display is, as I originally noted, though one possible further change is that when you have made your receipt selection {In my case No}, the data remains on screen until the card is ejected and then, the screen displays the thank you image. I memory serves, the system used to show the balance and then print the receipt, which was accompanied more quickly by the thanks. Therefore the balance is displayed on screen for slightly longer then before.

Regards