Smallest Motorbike/scooter Thingybob

eek

I openly confess that i have difficulty with the average scooter here :o ..but I wish for the freedom having my own transport brings. I tried out a scooter about a year ago with a friend..and embarrassingly lost my balance while doing a U-Turn as i automatically put my foot down to steady myself, but as the scooter was too heavy....i ended up with the scooter on top of me, and hurting myself.

Anyway..many mannyyy years ago i used to mess about on a sorta bicycle with an engine type thing. Was not much heavier than a bicycle so i could control it easy in the same way as a pushbike but was powered by an engine. Btw..I am also used to riding a bicycle as used to ride one everyday to work.

Thus i finally get round to asking for your suggestions guys. Is there anything like this i can hire in CM? Or just some very lightweight motorbike? I would like the freedom of having my own transport but something i can easily control while i gain experience and confidence. If the balance is similar to a bicycle and the weight not much more..i am sure i can handle it much better. Also, for those who are guys giving suggestions, please remember that what may seem light to you, may not be light to me. Im not weak as i do use free-weights...but at the same time i dont wish to pull a joint out of socket from being clumbsy whilst learning to control a bike! :D

p.s. I dont intent to be irresponsible either so no lectures please..everyone has to learn sometime. :D

Edited by eek

eekers,

They have scoots here that are so lightweight and miniscule that I am sure you could handle easily.

Today on my walk to Arng Kaew reservoir, I saw a guy sitting on the back of a small scooter, with a gal who looked to be about 15. She was max 5'0", 90 lbs. He was obviously giving her instruction on how to ride a motorsai, on this untrafficked road (joggers and dog walkers, no vehicles). And she was doing OK! Weaving a little, but later when I saw them she was humming right along.

A lot of learning how to ride a motorcycle is coordinating the throttle, steering, and shifting gears in a smooth fashion. After a brief time, it becomes intuitive. You just have to practice, preferably on a secluded road with little or no traffic.

PM me if you wish; be happy to meet you at a rental place and give you my advice on bikes, etc.

McG

Hi eek,

Both Central and Robinson sell motorized bicycles, though I have only seen the electric/battery type on display. I haven't seen any gas powered motors on any bicycles here.

Something else you may wish to consider, are the small 3 wheeled scooters. They're not lighter, but they are always upright, so there should be no weight to bear.

Ty guys! (and so far no teasing! YAY!)

Im intrigued by the 3 wheeled scooter idea. I haven't seen many on the CM roads though. Im hoping to blend in rather than be pointed and laughed at. :o But I really do like the idea.

I guess my best bet is get over my nerves and just go looking at what the options are. (also if you recommend any specific brands or w/e that would be helpful too.)

McG, I may take you up on that offer. I will let you know well in advance if i think about going ahead and renting/buying as the experienced opinion would be v appreciated. ty kindly :D

I suppose this is the kind of thing i was meaning-ish:

2005350275648968899_rs.jpg

or:

2000458355749097773_rs.jpg

(or something between both of them. Not quite as daft looking as the first one lol. The first one looks like id get blown away on it..and the second poss a bit heavy? Man i suck at this bike thing :o =x)

lannarebirth, is this sorta the 3-wheeler bike you mean?:

2005345380078181456_rs.jpg

looks pretty cool actually. (although still havent noticed many about. One thing to be labeled a daft farang chick on a scooter if i mess up..but another to be the daft farang chick on the three-wheel scooter. Its a lot easier to be labeled and recognised. "Oh that must be that daft farang chick that x and y mentioned the other night" OUch!)

Edited by eek

looks pretty cool actually. (although still havent noticed many about. One thing to be labeled a daft farang chick on a scooter if i mess up..but another to be the daft farang chick on the three-wheel scooter. Its a lot easier to be labeled and recognised. "Oh that must be that daft farang chick that x and y mentioned the other night" OUch!)

this is what I have seen around CM, as far as 3 wheelers are concerned, but without the top

post-15912-1191564581_thumb.jpg

eeks, of the three bikes you posted pics on, the first and last don't look available in Thailand. The middle one, the bigger red one, resembles a Yamaha XT225 Serrow, which you'll see around Chiang Mai a bit, but they aren't imported legally. They are a bit heavier than what you are probably thinking, and are high off the ground. In fact, the first bike looked to have a high seat, also.

Friends of mine used to have a three wheeled Honda (two wheels in back) but I doubt they're in production now, and you seldom see them.

I'm with McGriffith: most bikes you'll find in the 110-135 range (step through scooters) should be light enough for you. If you can rent a few of the new automatics for one day each, you'll probably see one that's right for you. Don't worry about dropping it; that seldom happens. There's usually a friendly Thai nearby who will help pick it up, especially if you look like a cute young damsel in distress.

I suppose this is the kind of thing i was meaning-ish:

2005350275648968899_rs.jpg

or:

2000458355749097773_rs.jpg

(or something between both of them. Not quite as daft looking as the first one lol. The first one looks like id get blown away on it..and the second poss a bit heavy? Man i suck at this bike thing :o =x)

eeek,

Platinum makes a 125cc bike similar to your middle pic. It would be a little lighter and certainly less powerful. I'm not sure where the Chiang Mai dealer is. I've seen most where some say the quality is not that great, but the price is cheap. If you're not going to do any serious offroading, that mightbe a good choice for you. Also, I've seen a Kawasaki "mini bike" around. It looks about 70cc-100cc and has a very low center of gravity. I'm not sure of the model, maybe someone else knows.

edit: OK, the Kawasaki is called a KSR and it's 110cc. Looks like this:

http://www.pantown.com/group.php?id=15773

Edited by lannarebirth

Pay some regular visits to Central Kaed Suen Kau (I am sure I have spelt that wrongly) but there are frequent exhibitions of motorised things and I have seen some really small bikes there - normally they are there every month - towards the back on the first or second floor

there is also the honda 50cc mini bike - and there is something which I believe is called a paddock bike, or pit bike - which is small enough for mechanics to wizz around the pit lane and the circuits back lanes on - seen these around CM too and if you are worried about falling off and having it crash on you - you can pick these up and carry then under your arm (well almost)

If all else fails buy a mary poppins bike and fit an electric motor!

Good luck

Wonder if this one comes with 3 wheels :o2000721392363640575_rs.jpg

Back on topic: Thanks again. These suggestions help me to work out what i should ask for reg engine size etc. Really didnt know where to start. :D

Is there anyone who knows the name/model # of a decent cc motorbike with a top (like the grey 3 wheel scooter on one of the pics)? It can be a normal 2 wheel and normal scooter and preferably with a passenger seat. Do those exist? In Chiang Mai? Thailand?

I was so taken with the picture of the Piaggio MP3 three wheeler that I checked it out on the net and then went to a US dealer and had a look. Yeah, I'm wimpy bike-wise but I love it.

Any clue on if / how long new models like this take to find their way to Thailand? There are some cool video reviews out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I HAVE GOT MEEEESELF SOME WHEELS!

...but of the pedal powered variety :o

Decided to get a feel for the roads using a bicycle for now. Once i feel more confident in the traffic, ill upgrade to the motor variety. Heck CM traffic may not be as crazy as some places, but crazy enough for me! 5pm-ish it seems particularly hair raising. Anyway, i think this is the safest way for me before I start out as a newbie moto rider.

Ty all for the recommendations, they will be most useful for me later. :D

I HAVE GOT MEEEESELF SOME WHEELS!

...but of the pedal powered variety :o

Decided to get a feel for the roads using a bicycle for now. Once i feel more confident in the traffic, ill upgrade to the motor variety. Heck CM traffic may not be as crazy as some places, but crazy enough for me! 5pm-ish it seems particularly hair raising. Anyway, i think this is the safest way for me before I start out as a newbie moto rider.

Ty all for the recommendations, they will be most useful for me later. :D

Hey eekers,

When you're done with this:

post-23786-1194011863_thumb.jpg

Here's your next one:

post-23786-1194011917_thumb.jpg

:D