Moving Into Thailand: A Bunch Of Questions

Hoping that the answers I may get will help others. And thanks for those who are going to give me a hand...

I am seriously planning to move with my family and stuff from Japan (where I work) to Thailand next year for a couple of years job break... I am 41 french, japanese wife & 2 young children, so that I need to make a kind of more solid set up (for school and home).

I am not considering to work, and I am looking to visit using a 60-days tourist visa, open an account at HSBC, and eventually to buy a condo in order to obtain a 1 year extension (or deposit the required 3mios Baht), then bring my family and ship my stuff from Japan...

I face many issues because all the information on visa, deposit and shipping are so far very contradictory and confusing....

1 - is buying a condo (worth 8mios bahts) enough to ensure the extension. 2 immigration officers gave me differents answers today. The first saying that I need to buy project condo (i.e. being the first owner), the second being more vague...?

2 - if I deposit 3mios Bahts for extension, can I get it back after, can I use this amount to purchase a condo later ? here also I read quite different opinions

3 - do I need to absolutely open an account to a local Bank to keep the 3 mios Bahts or to transfer necessary money?

4 - if I dont have working permit can I open an account in bank, can I rent flat/house?

5 - is shipping personal stuff (furnitures (some antiques but not from Thai and I kept receipts), clothes, Hifi-TV, CD/DVD/book, bicycles,..) a big headache tax-wise, security-wise or ship-out afterwards ?

Sounds basic but after doing some shopping around I still can't make those answers very clear (or is it un-clarityness a charm of Thailand ...:o)) ?!)

Thanks to all posters!

LOL Aussie...!

- - - - \

By the way I just realize hat I might have posted this questions into the wrong Forum... Actually I was heading for Visa/residence forum

I don't know if some Forum Admin can transfer this Question to the right place...

1. This program appears to be run by immigration so you do what they say - only some officers seem to know details. I would assume that the condo will have to meet conditions as this was also true in the old program.

2. Money deposited should be available and usable for whatever you want after visa use is no longer needed. But again check with immigration.

3. You absolutely have to do what immigration says.

4. You do not need a work permit unless you work.

5. Shipping is always a headache but some do it. You will have to check with immigration about time frame for this if you do not want to pay duty. And I would not try to do it yourself.

Another country in your case.. your family will not like the discrimation hurled their way... Head down south...your family will have a better time.

Wise words. Why Thailand? Just because it's cheap? Don't forget it attracts cheap people because of this.

I'm not even paying for my internet!

Thanks Lopburi3 for concise but realistic answers..

Rhys who wrote "another country... discrimination.." I am living in Asia for the past 15 years being married to Japanese and having a family... of course there is a discrimination here and there... and always... but so far we could pass thru and get stronger...

Aussie ... cheap have many meaning... I have knowned many people who were poor by money but rich by character, experience and very much valuable... and ...vice versa...

why choose Thailand ... first it's not a final set up and secondly considering my family interest and experiences in Asia, Bangkok looks like the most suitable set up: travel, cultural and education.... money is not the priority target.