Villa Market

Jingthing

Many thanks

Have a friend that works Pattaya area 1 week a month and get all I need from Friendship.....

Drove for the 1st time to Villa, at a place called 'Nichada Thani' last week, did not see any there at that store..

Villa BKK Suk 33 has the frozen puff pastry and I'm sure I've seen it in Foodland.

Never been to the Nichida Villa, is it a small one?

I'd love to think that Atora suet was in Foodland. Will be off to check!

Cheers

No idea if it is a small one having never been to any of the others.. Nichida Villa is about 20km each way for me to drive....... Villa BKK Suk 33 is about 50+ km each way + the traffic..

There is another Villa on Prachachuan that might be more accessible for you.

I'll have a look for puff pastry nest time I'm there.

Cheers

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to locate imported sliced beetroot.

I couldn't find it at Villa several weeks back, and Friendship has run out...was getting the NZ Watties brand there.

Has anyone laid eyes on this anywhere? Foodland, Carrefour, Tops and Big C also don't have it.

Watties is in stock at Best (well it was 3 days ago) and although not as piquant as Baxters canned beetroot, it went down well with the Simon Howie haggis and some Grouse scotch.

Where did you get the haggis?

Cheers

BTW - as with all dried food the shelf life in the tropics is greatly reduced and the powder usually goes of way before I've used it all.

In the tropics keep dry goods in the fridge, they last much longer.

Try this mustard!

Cheers

post-4817-1194323576_thumb.jpg

Done that...OK but nothing like the real thing. used to get it in Oz....

BTW I love Dijon and many other mustards it's just that on certain things there is no substitute for Colemans....does anyone else have it with mature cheddar in a thick sandwich?

i've heard that one of the UK butchers (Yorkies??) does haggis....I get a friend to bring a coupole of Sainsbury's Haggises every Burns night....they are eye-rollingly brilliant!

Edited by wilko

Made it there at last, at around 5 p.m. today - very quiet, almost deserted and easy to park.

Not a single customer at the counter diner.

Nice and spacious, especially compared to the ones in Bangkok, and seemed to ooze luxury and expensive products.

Small jars of Branston pickle at 265 Baht, compared to 227 Baht I last paid at Friendship.

Reasonable selection of cheeses compared to other places but they ain't cheap.

There was a large, imported, frozen crab leg for 500 odd Baht!

There was no cashier at the check out, and we had to wait whilst they went to find her . Most un-Villa -like.

Mrs Mobi (who used to patronise the Villa on Soi 33 Sukhumvit), declared that she preferred Foodland.

I guess it will take time for them to settle down, get fully stocked and have all the staff trained properly, so I won't write it off just yet.

And they will always have stuff you can't find anywhere else. :o

Made it there at last, at around 5 p.m. today - very quiet, almost deserted and easy to park.

Not a single customer at the counter diner.

Nice and spacious, especially compared to the ones in Bangkok, and seemed to ooze luxury and expensive products.

Small jars of Branston pickle at 265 Baht, compared to 227 Baht I last paid at Friendship.

Reasonable selection of cheeses compared to other places but they ain't cheap.

There was a large, imported, frozen crab leg for 500 odd Baht!

There was no cashier at the check out, and we had to wait whilst they went to find her . Most un-Villa -like.

Mrs Mobi (who used to patronise the Villa on Soi 33 Sukhumvit), declared that she preferred Foodland.

I guess it will take time for them to settle down, get fully stocked and have all the staff trained properly, so I won't write it off just yet.

And they will always have stuff you can't find anywhere else. :o

Reasonable selection of cheeses compared to other places but they ain't cheap.... Wonder how they can charge 200 baht more than Friendship for a block of cheese ?? was same make, same cheese, same brand, same packing.. just 200 baht more !!

Strange noticed that a number of Thai items were in fact cheaper than Carrefour/Tesco/Big C

Edited by ignis

Many thanks

Have a friend that works Pattaya area 1 week a month and get all I need from Friendship.....

Drove for the 1st time to Villa, at a place called 'Nichada Thani' last week, did not see any there at that store..

Villa BKK Suk 33 has the frozen puff pastry and I'm sure I've seen it in Foodland.

Cheers

No idea if it is a small one having never been to any of the others.. Nichida Villa is about 20km each way for me to drive....... Villa BKK Suk 33 is about 50+ km each way + the traffic..

Cheers

They did have puff pastry in Prachachuan/Grand Canal.

180B/kilo or about 75B/pack.

Cheers

Haven't been to the Villa in Pattaya yet but was wondering if anybody knows if they have Pataks curry sauces, naans and popadoms there, I know villa in BKK started selling these items, just wondering if they will be on sale in Pattaya.

I don't know if they are on sale, but aparently they have a policy to get in what you want if you make a request to the manager.

Haven't been to the Villa in Pattaya yet but was wondering if anybody knows if they have Pataks curry sauces, naans and popadoms there, I know villa in BKK started selling these items, just wondering if they will be on sale in Pattaya.

I don't know if they are on sale, but aparently they have a policy to get in what you want if you make a request to the manager.

reminds me of harrods fabled misquote that they would get anything you wanted so someone ordered an elephant !

reminds me of harrods fabled misquote that they would get anything you wanted so someone ordered an elephant !

I'm still working on a can of beetroot, so I'll let you know if they can come through.

Haven't seen Pataks yet....but the problem will be a limited range as they will bring it in from the wholesalers in Oz not direct from UK which means they only import the ones that Coles want for their shelves.

....I get a friend to bring a coupole of Sainsbury's Haggises every Burns night....they are eye-rollingly brilliant!

Next time, get your friend to get you some Simon Howie Butchers haggis from Tesco's. You'll ne'er go back!

Failing that, MacSweens are next best.

What are Grape Nuts? . . .

Its a Yankee thing.

Only early on, but Post & Kraft were/are out of Michigan & Illinois. However, the product won favor down South among the Rebs as well. Among processed, mass-marketed & produced breakfast cereals, Grape Nuts is among the healthiest (cough).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_Nuts

Yup, cat litter.

You add sweet milk, banana, and raisins to that cat litter before it becomes much more than the sum of the parts. Give it a try.

And now let's all go back to jerking off to thoughts of sliced beetroot.

Went today first time to Villa. They may be somethimes not cheap; but I found some nice deals. Outmeal was cheaper then in Friendship and they have more brands, got a nice Nestle Gold Instant Coffee (Import Germany) 200 gr. for 319 Baht and a nice chunk of Raclette Cheese for 120. Swiss Chocolate wasn't more expensive (or even cheaper) then at other places and I got one for just 63 Baht (100 gr.). If you open your eyes; you will find some pretty good deals there. The staff is extremly friendly (never heard so many sawadee kahs in a Shop) and I actually can read the bill. I will go back.

Many thanks

Cheers

Cheers

They did have puff pastry in Prachachuan/Grand Canal.

180B/kilo or about 75B/pack.

Cheers

Thanks, will take a drive next week and see if I can find it

Went today first time to Villa. They may be somethimes not cheap; but I found some nice deals. Outmeal was cheaper then in Friendship and they have more brands, got a nice Nestle Gold Instant Coffee (Import Germany) 200 gr. for 319 Baht and a nice chunk of Raclette Cheese for 120. Swiss Chocolate wasn't more expensive (or even cheaper) then at other places and I got one for just 63 Baht (100 gr.). If you open your eyes; you will find some pretty good deals there. The staff is extremly friendly (never heard so many sawadee kahs in a Shop) and I actually can read the bill. I will go back.

Yes the Nestle Gold Instant Coffee (Import Germany) 200 gr. for 319 Baht is a good price, and I bought one jar, as another friend did not get any from the deep south last month, [normal brings back a pack of 6x 200gr Nestle Gold Instant Coffee, cost 248 baht there]...

Friendship is still the cheapest by far for fresh ground coffee. I love Dutch coffee and 134 baht for 500 gr [that is not the cheapest] is great.

Has anyone noticed the cold meat cuts displayed on a table outside the regrigerators next to the chicken rotisserie?

I don't know what they are thinking, but keeping rare roast beef at room temperature for who knows how many hours is not good.

I bought some on one of my earlier trips to Villa at a time when I didn't realise they keep the meat on display there day and night. That meat turned green a day before the marked expiry date (in my refrigerator).

Recommendation: If you would like to buy rare roast beef there ask the counter staff to slice some straight from the refrigerator. When it's fresh it's good.

Edited by tropo

I have been shopping at Villa Market Pattaya for about a month and already they have run out of many of the things I was delighted to find there. "No have (shrug)" has become a repeated refrain from the staff. If they can't replenish and restock their popular items, then it's not worth going there. So many things are far more expensive than they should be. I'm going back to Foodland. Maybe I'll go to VM once a month -- just to see what they have.

Did someone mention haggis? I believe I had a thread about that a while back...

Does Villa market have haggis? I know McDonald's now has a BBQ beef sandwich... I'm going to write their marketing department, and suggest they consider a haggis product, preferbly as a "set", with fries and a drink.

Not much reason to shop at Pattaya Villa Market. Most items in Villa are available and at far better prices at Friendship, Foodland and Carrefore. I will only buy in Villa, when I can't get it some other place. Over priced by 20-30% on most things.

Has anyone noticed the cold meat cuts displayed on a table outside the regrigerators next to the chicken rotisserie?

I don't know what they are thinking, but keeping rare roast beef at room temperature for who knows how many hours is not good.

I bought some of the honey roast ham there last week, took it home and kept in the refrigerator, ate it 2 days later, and within 2 hours experienced the worst case of the runs I've ever had in Thailand.

Recommendation: If you would like to buy rare roast beef there ask the counter staff to slice some straight from the refrigerator. When it's fresh it's good.

Seconded wholeheartedly.

I made a comment last month soon after they opened about Villa stocking about a dozen or more different varieties of tomatoes ranging from 400 up to about 1750 per kg.

It didn't last long...they're now down to only a hand full of varieties and I'm sure some of them are still the same tomatoes they had there when they opened.