Motherboard: ASUS P5K, with Intel P35 Express Chipset 6,173 Baht

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4 GHz 6,900 Baht

RAM: DDR2 667 4x1GB 4,000 Baht

Harddisk: Seagate 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 5,820 Baht

Graphics: Gforce NVIDIA 7200, 128MB 1,600 Baht

Case: GView 450W power supply 1,600 Baht

DVD: LG DVD Super Multi RW incl. full Nero 8. 2,600 Baht

TOTAL 36,293 incl. VAT

This is a real monster built at home with help of the local computer guy. I am sooo happy with it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice indeed, self-ssembled without any help? :D I'm totally jealous of the ASUS motherboard. Me want one too! :D:o

Wow, finally got my dream desktop build to my spec:

Configuration:

TOTAL 36,293 incl. VAT

This is a real monster built at home with help of the local computer guy. I am sooo happy with it!

Wow, finally got my dream desktop build to my spec:

Configuration:

TOTAL 36,293 incl. VAT

Well done George, I've always wanted to do similar but always realize that regardless of having more computing power than a small country, I'm still at the mercy of TOT or similar and my Excel spreadsheets really don't need require such a beast. Regardless, enjoy.

Also just built my own last month [rebuild every 2 years]

Motherboard: Asus M2N-E SLI

Chipset: nVidia nForce 500 SLI MCP

CPU: AMD Athlon[TH]64 X 2 Quad 4200+, 2.21 GHz [CPU with Motherboard 7,290]

RAM: DDR2 667 4x1GB [Paid 1,090 each stick]

Harddisk: Seagate 2x 200GB 7,200 RPM SATA 2, @ 1,920 Baht

Graphics: Gforce NVIDIA 8600GT 256MB @ 3,210 baht

Case: GView 450W power supply [Had already]

DVD: LG DVD Super Multi RAM drive [had already]

DVD: Asus multi drive [had already]

Yes sure is an improvement over the AMD 3200+ I was using after my last build.

I do worry about buying a 500GB Hard drive, a lot of data lost if it fails, in 4 ½ years I have had 2x 80gig + 1x 200 gig fail…. I also have 2x HDD’s in USB cases which I back up/copy all important items.

Only three things I would have done differently :D

* different power supply. Although gview cases are not bad, the generic PSU's coming with it are none to good.

* seperate smaller hard drive for OS and apps. (preferable one of the raptors, bloody fast, bloody expensive :o )

* better graphics card, although this one is personal, not needed if no games are being played. The GF 7200 will handle normal apps perfectly OK!

You certainianly seem to have picked up some bargins!

I bought my hardware at Fortunetown a few months ago. Some examples:-

Core 2 Duo E6600 was 12030 Baht at the time quoted in Aust $469 or 14070 B

Matched pair of 1GB Corsair DDR2 6400 was 8820 B - in Aust $409 or 12270 B

I spend 50520 B in total but that included new everything as well as a UPS.

Wow, finally got my dream desktop built to my spec:

Typo? If not where can l buy one at this price?

* different power supply. Although gview cases are not bad, the generic PSU's coming with it are none to good.

* seperate smaller hard drive for OS and apps. (preferable one of the raptors, bloody fast, bloody expensive :o )

* better graphics card, although this one is personal, not needed if no games are being played. The GF 7200 will handle normal apps perfectly OK!

agree with the seperate 10000PRM HDD for OS/apps.

Not that expensive, about 6500baht for 74GB 10,000 RPM, 16 MB cache, 4.5 ms Read Seek Time, 5.9 ms Write Seek Time, 1,200 Mbits/s (Max) Transfer Rate

Wow, finally got my dream desktop built to my spec:

Typo? If not where can l buy one at this price?

I was asking myself the same question. Yeah, where did you pick that up?

Not that expensive, about 6500baht for 74GB 10,000 RPM, 16 MB cache, 4.5 ms Read Seek Time, 5.9 ms Write Seek Time, 1,200 Mbits/s (Max) Transfer Rate

So basically you want to use this fast expensive hd for the operating system to make the base computer run a bit faster? And any programs you install on this drive will also run a bit more smoothly than normal?

Damian Mavis

So basically you want to use this fast expensive hd for the operating system to make the base computer run a bit faster? And any programs you install on this drive will also run a bit more smoothly than normal?

Damian Mavis

yes, but will be a noticeable lot not a bit.

I hate Gview cases. They suck (literally). Their cooling is very bad. They look OK on the outside, but on the inside they're absolutely horrible.

The PSU you have is marginal. I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than one year, and in that year causing you lots of grief. I really, really, really don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for the "specs" and yet skimp out on what houses the components and what power it.

I hate Gview cases. They suck (literally). Their cooling is very bad. They look OK on the outside, but on the inside they're absolutely horrible.

The PSU you have is marginal. I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than one year, and in that year causing you lots of grief. I really, really, really don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for the "specs" and yet skimp out on what houses the components and what power it.

Spot on. I don't know the Gview cases since I haven't built my own for a while - but some case designs have really poor airflow, and if you take the default power supply you're asking for trouble especially if you're loading up on drives, powering the monitor directly through the power supply (yes, people still do this), and a whole host of other things.

The other thing to note is that many power supplies are improperly labeled - just because it's labeled 350w or 450w doesn't mean you're actually getting that - there's a high likelihood you're still getting a power supply which can only handle 230w.

Spot on. I don't know the Gview cases since I haven't built my own for a while - but some case designs have really poor airflow, and if you take the default power supply you're asking for trouble especially if you're loading up on drives, powering the monitor directly through the power supply (yes, people still do this), and a whole host of other things.

The other thing to note is that many power supplies are improperly labeled - just because it's labeled 350w or 450w doesn't mean you're actually getting that - there's a high likelihood you're still getting a power supply which can only handle 230w.

My Case is a ‘Sirius’ very expensive 1,800 baht without the power supply but a super case..

Re Power supply: I do not believe you can get a 230w for a 2/quod core Motherboard.. I already had a 450w on my old PC, but of course this would not fit as more pins on a 2/quod core, the options were 350w, 450w or 550w

I hate Gview cases. They suck (literally). ...................

Your right about that. My Gview came standard with 4 external fans add the power supply (550 watt BlueStorm II) and there is 5. In my enviroment I need to maintain a slight positive pressure in the case and use filters on the fan screens so after some experiments on air flow effects I rotated one of the rear to draw air in as well. Wonderful, cool and clean a total of 8 fans blowing up a storm in there.

Edit: E6600 is overclocked to 3.2 Ghz and additional voltages applied to the memory etc without ill effect or BSOD's in a non A/C room.

Edited by bdenner

=====================================================================

My Case is a ‘Sirius’ very expensive 1,800 baht without the power supply but a super case..

Very expensive? :o Ever considered the full size cases ... last weekend I saw one .... THB 9,500.

Mine was THB 2,000 (Cooler Master) which I didn't consider expensive even I did have to buy an THB 2,490 Enermax

power supply for it ...

Apart from how many watts a PSU delivers, you have to make sure that it delivers enough amps on the rails.

Edited by sniffdog

Hey George.

Just built a similar-spec PC myself. The Asus PK5-Deluxe is an awesome motherboard along with the Q6600 CPU.

I have the G0-stepping Q6000 and is currently overclocked to 3.6Ghz on AIR!... (I have a Tuniq Tower heatsink on my CPU)

The cheapest I got my motherboard for was 7,200 Baht and that was through our supplier, Synnex. You got a good price on yours!

Replace your PSU, it's cr*p. I got myself a nice 530W Enermax PSU from Penang, Malaysia for around 4000 baht. Worth every penny.

Never skimp on your PSU.

I hope you have a decent UPS as well. We only recommend APC UPS's - they're the best on the market.

Since we're all showing our dicks, my setup:

Motherboard: ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFI-AP

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0-Stepping

RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 1066Mhz

System Harddisk: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 16MB

Data Harddisk: 2 x Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache in RAID-1

Graphics: Gforce NVIDIA 8600GT 256Mb o/c to 800Mhz Core

Case: Enermax 530W PSU

Screen: Samsung 940BW

OS: Windows XP (for gaming) Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (for gaming) & Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit (for desktop use)

CBRSAMUI.

Very expensive? :o Ever considered the full size cases ... last weekend I saw one .... THB 9,500.

Mine was THB 2,000 (Cooler Master) which I didn't consider expensive even I did have to buy an THB 2,490 Enermax

power supply for it ...

Apart from how many watts a PSU delivers, you have to make sure that it delivers enough amps on the rails.

I always drive to Zeer Ransit IT, use the same Company and over the years have spent around 400,000 with my PCs and PCs for friends, anything not working correct or goes wrong, or bought in error. take it back and they always exchange or give me a new one no questions asked.

had no idea cases were so expensive, most where I shop are between 750 - 1,150 baht with power supply.

============================================================

I agree, 8800 and 2 drives not one.

============================================================

It alls depends what you do with your computer ...... an 8800 GTS (or Ultra) makes no sense

if you don't play games. The 7200 does the job for simple desktop work. Plus why should you

have two drives if you don't download a lot .... DVD movies and files you can backup to DVD ....

I don't even use DVDs anymore. I download a movie, put it on a 4Gig USB stick and put it

into my DVD player ... Only a few movies are IMHO worth it to save to media.

Furthermore, the cases with included PSU for 1,000-1,500 do the work. It just depends

what have to be powered.

And if your PSU fails you buy a new one (starting at THB 450). Mine worked for 5 years ...

Great thread! I'm going to write down all the details and go to a local computer shop and see what he can do.

One question I have: is there a way to get a genuine Windows XP installed, rather than Vista? Or is everyone happy with Vista?

Great thread! I'm going to write down all the details and go to a local computer shop and see what he can do.

One question I have: is there a way to get a genuine Windows XP installed, rather than Vista? Or is everyone happy with Vista?

The Vista Home premium is your best bet. The extras promised in ultimate have been slow in arriving and for the home user you don't need it really anyway. Ignore the horror stories about Vista. It's a superior OS to its predecessors. XP is getting old, and Vista with the right hardware (2gb ram at least) runs quick and easy. It takes a bit to get used to but once you see the advantages and the extras it offers over XP you won't want to go back. :o

Lots of places to buy genuine Windows XP, search Microsoft website for the list of suppliers in Thailand, otherwise buy a 100 baht 'copy' and the after the 30days buy the license online.

Likewise with Vista........ if you have a 2nd harddrive simply install Vista if you like, then buy the license. Like wise it not that difficult to Duel boot so you have both Visa + XP....... Some hardware suppliers do not supply drivers for Vista, some games do not run in Vista.