Mitsubishi Evolution Vii And Up

I am lookin to buy a relatively newer model evo, but the ones i keep findin are "put together" (as ALL people told me I'd probably find). What I would like to know is:

1) How reliable are they?

2) How close to a real one is it in terms of technology and parts? Feel and drivability?

3) What exactly is a "put together" evo?

A genuine evo from Japan or Australia cut up, shipped here, and put back together AS EXACTLY AS POSSIBLE as the original? Or is it made of

sourced evo parts, put onto the lancer that is already sold in Thailand?

Hence my question, does anyone here own one? I'd like to ask you some questions if you wouldn't mind. Thanks in advance.

I am lookin to buy a relatively newer model evo, but the ones i keep findin are "put together" (as ALL people told me I'd probably find). What I would like to know is:

2) How close to a real one is it in terms of technology and parts? Feel and drivability?

A genuine evo from Japan or Australia cut up, shipped here, and put back together AS EXACTLY AS POSSIBLE as the original? Or is it made of

Hence my question, does anyone here own one? I'd like to ask you some questions if you wouldn't mind. Thanks in advance.

I have owner 100s of cars if not thousands ( i was a car dealer ) the evo five is still one of my all time favourites and on the right roads is a giant killer,dont listen to all you hear from the doubting thomases ,there will be some good ones in thailand that have been imported by the likes of the sec group etc, .take your time, get the mags and read with someone thai to read the details to you,.its a very exciting car, i lived in cornwall and after a sunday of terrorising motorcycles id arrive home shattered and shaking from adrenalin,.superb car and value for money, good luck,.

The issue is that many of them are normal mitsubishis with bodykits and an engine transplant, If it was me I would buy something different.

Toyotal Celica GT4's are quite good prices here.

There is a reputadly a "real' one on the notice board in pattaya foodland,800.00 if its the one at a tyre and wheel place on sukomvit and pattaya tai dont bother, its a COPY !

I missed answering some questions for you sorry, as for reliability you will need to know its been looked after, i know my uk one was critial on top fuel/high octane, it would pink on low grade and they have been known to hole pistons if poor fuel is used,.also use a full synthetic oil, i tend to over maintain my cars and changed my oil every 3000 miles,.,dont let that put you off, the active yaw etc gives no problems, stick to 18 inch tyres ,i must confess i tracked and gave my car hel_l ,but as i said i over maintain and apart from sevicing had no down time,.for a 2 litre it is amazing, Edited by mikethevigoman

my friend bought an evo IV back in '98 and no it is not "put together" as they've told you. the body of the ordinary lancer is actually different from the evo, the evo seems to have a wider fender to accomodate much bigger wheels. you can buy evo from some of the import car dealers in bangkok, there is one in petchburi road, i think it's called wattana motor or something like that. last time i saw an evo VII parked in their showroom but i think it's sold now.

Edited by thai_narak

Most (95%) of the Evos u see for sale here will be modified Lancer's. If you look at the reg plate on the firewall it will tell you.

They have to cut the car slightly in order to fit the AWD system. So, all the parts come from a genuine Evo (normally a wrecked Jap car) and are then installed. It is not something you would get away with in the West for obvious safety concerns, but the argument is the cars are not cut in anway that would cause structural integrity to be compromised.

Reliability wise, what I have been told is that they are no worse than a genuine Evo. As Mike says, if the engine has been looked after properly you will have no problem.

Avoid anything that has an aftermarket engine management system installed. There are a lot of 'have-a-go' tuners here!

thanks for all the fast replies.

another question.

how would i be able to tell if all the evo components were put onto the car?

are there any teltale exterior signs of the AWD system? YAW control? ACD system? proper 4G63 engine? etc...

where is the cut made to accomodate the AWD?

how would i be able to check to see if they were all working properly?

and how easy/common is it to change the plate on the firewall designating the chassis?

an evo also has many more welds on its frame than a regular lancer to increase rigidity.

sorry for the onslaught of questions. i want to buy a genuine evo and i want to be able to determine a real one from a put together one.

thanks.

thanks for all the fast replies.

another question.

how would i be able to tell if all the evo components were put onto the car?

are there any teltale exterior signs of the AWD system? YAW control? ACD system? proper 4G63 engine? etc...

where is the cut made to accomodate the AWD?

how would i be able to check to see if they were all working properly?

and how easy/common is it to change the plate on the firewall designating the chassis?

an evo also has many more welds on its frame than a regular lancer to increase rigidity.

sorry for the onslaught of questions. i want to buy a genuine evo and i want to be able to determine a real one from a put together one.

thanks.

There is an EVO7 body with a full transplant of all Evo 9 parts currently for sale. The body has not been modified at all as everything will have dropped straight in.

PM me if you want the details.

Edited by matter