Need To Bring?

JimboOregon

Hi all,

I retired last week, yesssss! biggrin.gif My departure for Thailand is only ten days off and I'm trying to tie up the loose ends. I will be traveling around SE Asia with Thailand as the base for at least two years or more.

I've spent a lot of time planning and gathering basic kit. I've used this forum and other sources and I'm about as ready as I can get, but...

What item(s) would you put in the "wish I'd brought" category? Any thoughts? Brainstorming OK.

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

I retired last week, yesssss!

Congrats you lucky Critter

What item(s) would you put in the "wish I'd brought" category?

Just your Brains Jim, just your Brains.

And if you haven't got enough blood flowing through your body to keep both Brains in working order, i.e if you tend to pass out when one is in full working order, keep your senses about you.

Jimbo you'll probably find you've brought much more than you really need.

Probably agree with that.

Bring your bankcards, your shorts and sandals and a smile.

Just as long as the short list needs to be, I'd say. Lucky .....

Good Luck

Moss

travel light.

make copies of your passport, tickets, driving licence, visas - keep them separate from the oryginal documents, store them online, leave those copies with your family home. It's a much less headache when you loose the oryginals.

if you carry any medications do have copies of prescriptions - would be easier to buy new supplies and sometimes the customs might be asking questions.

because you are going to travel extensively through se asia do take care of your health - a few jabs against the most common illnesses, including flu, will prevent problems during your journey. Take with you some tamiflu - it's very difficult to get it in thailand (just tell your GP about your long visit to the se asia).

Hi all,

I retired last week, yesssss! biggrin.gif My departure for Thailand is only ten days off and I'm trying to tie up the loose ends. I will be traveling around SE Asia with Thailand as the base for at least two years or more.

I've spent a lot of time planning and gathering basic kit. I've used this forum and other sources and I'm about as ready as I can get, but...

What item(s) would you put in the "wish I'd brought" category? Any thoughts? Brainstorming OK.

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

Bring Money!!! Lots and Lots of Money! With the way the baht is now, you're going to need it!

If your coming from the US, be sure and bring your rubbers!

Actually, everything you need is pretty much available here, even food items. By the way a good can opener is a good idea--after buying about 10 local brands, I finally bought one overseas, a good one and it's saved me lot of trouble. This is especially true if your setting up any housekeeping where you might be cooking and buying foods from the grocery store.

Best of luck to you.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

Jim, just bring a sense of adventure and a smile. Just about everything is available here. But do make copies of everything as has been mentioned. Good Luck

Jim also from Salem

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

OOP's forgot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Let your bank know you will be overseas! if not they may suspend your atm card until notified..........

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

Just bring your ATM cards, life savings and sanity, give these to the first woman you meet, fly back to the states and dont post about it here. This will save us all some time and a little band width, therefore saving on energy and global warming etc.

Well done for looking after the planet.

Cheers.'

Acq

bring your own solid deoderant, really good socks and shoes- the quality available here is either horrible or very expensive, bring rain-x for your helmet/windscreen because you'll be going through a full year of rain here in the course of two years, bring a good rain coat, and if you're going to be riding a motorcycle, the helmets they sell here are buckets with a bit of cloth stapled inside- bring a good HJC helmet from the states with you in that regard. last but not least, I highly recommend bringing a leatherman (or a gerber, but leathermen is generally better) multi-tool. if you're going to be here long term and probably don't speak the language, this will save your @$$ when you need to fix something in a hurry. also just handy to carry around.

hmm.. what else...

oh! a good flash light. a mag-lite will do (pocket size), and it's nice that you can upgrade it to be an LED flashlight and put a pocket clip on it, and a camp towel- get them from a sporting goods store- is worth it's weight in gold. I don't know what the brand is, but it's some kind of wierd fabric from korea that is very absorbant, almost like a sponge, but it doesn't get mold and it dries off incredibly fast. even here during rainy season, just wring it out and it's dry in like 10 minutes. also a lot smaller and easier to carry than a regular towell. hmm.... a good bug spray is recomended if you're going to be outside a lot. also, do some basic research about what plants/animals are dangerous/nuisances. the scorpions here can be painful, some of the centipedes can be deadly, there are of course the 'endangered' (protected as, not actually endangered) thai cobras. don't mess about with them, just get as long a stick as you can find and hit the snake as many times as you can.... the list isn't terribly long, but it's just stuff you've gotta watch out for, even in the cities.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

OOP's forgot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Let your bank know you will be overseas! if not they may suspend your atm card until notified..........

Credit cards also. I have had mine blocked many times traveling in Asia and it's a pain to have to call them and sort everything out. If they know where you are, everything will be O.K. Also, if you are going to make any major purchases on your credit card overseas, it's best to notify them in advance so the transaction will clear without any issues.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

A photocopy machine to lower cost of presenting documentation to immigration, and/or originals of every official document you have!!!

Me, too. My arrival is 12 days off.

I'm bringing several pairs of running/walking shoes for my big feet.

Size 11 1/2 US, 46 euro is big enough to be hard to fit.

Can opener! Good stuff. I wouldn't have thought of that one.

BTW, members, is good (not Jose C. or Sauza) tequila available at sane prices? I'll bring one litre, maybe more after I check out customs, duties, etc. Hints?

Just bring your ATM cards, life savings and sanity, give these to the first woman you meet, fly back to the states and dont post about it here. This will save us all some time and a little band width, therefore saving on energy and global warming etc.

A true cynic! :o

Jimbo, just don't leave your brains at Suvarnabhumi airport! :D

(And keep looking in the mirror - you're probably not a 'hansum man'!)

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jim

Salem Oregon

Well Done!! & Enjoy

I'm 6 pay days or 77 shifts to work...and cant wait.. the light is getting brighter!!

Edited by Tafia

I thought a bottle/can opener...

not absolutely necessary in some establishments... :D

What era do you come from???????????

Can/bottle openers went out 40 years ago.............. :o

They are ring tops now :D

and if you visit the right places - you wont need any shaving blades either...... :D

ring pull bottles, I must look out for them...

ring pull bottles, I must look out for them...

Let us know if you find any Beer Chang bottles with ring-pull caps. All the bottles in my cases of 24 have normal caps. :D

Quality toilet paper. Sure you can laugh at me, but there are times when you will appreciate having the super soft 2 ply when you are having the "OMG, Blanche, I think my insides have disintegrated event."

My posterior is delicate dammit :o

Use the water squirters, far more hygienic. :D