Driving Directions

matador

Hi :o

Please could someone tell me which is the quickest route (driving) from Pattaya to Hua Hin and give me the relevant directions and also mention anything of interest en-route?

Thanks very much.

Edited by matador

The answer could vary a lot depending on the answer to the following question...

What are you driving?

car.boat.500.jpg

Is there any chance you could give us a trip report?

I have been thinking of doing the same for a while, so having knowledge from soneome who has already done it would be great.

Cheers

Pattaya to Bangkok (allow 2 hours) on Highway 3, getting through LamChaBang is easier now the flyover is open although expect conjestion during rush hours. There is no benifit in taking Highway 7 even though you are probably used to it from the airport run. Toll charges on Highway 3 are the normal 30 Baht a couple of times if I remember correctly, but it's been about two years since I used the Bangkok end of this road. I would stop for a rest and fuel before getting into BKK.

Bangkok, (about a hour) Once in BKK just follow the road you are on, Highway 3 becomes the 3119 (or 34 - depending on which map you are looking at). You will see signs for Bang Na - this is the are you are driving through - remain on the highway, follow the road toward Lumphini Park, you will see signs for Chom Thong, you will go over a railway track, your turning South is just ahead, you will go over a second railway track, turn left (South West) on Highway 31 towards Chom Thong - you will probably see signs for Highway 35 the area you want to drive through is called Samut Songkram.

Bangkok to Hua Hin, (about two hours) once on Highway 35 it's an easy run roughly South West to Highway 4, you can't miss it as it's the only road running South. With this in mind both the 35 and 4 get busy from about 4pm during the week, you probably want to time your trip so you are through and clear of BKK by 3pm, that will get you into your hotel for a nice sunset over the sea at about 6pm.

Have a good trip.

Good zoomable map - but in Thai !

Print this map - English.

Things to see: I think your crossing of the Chao Phraya river in BKK is over the Taksin Rama 8 bridge (not named after the former prime minister).

Highway 35 out of BKK has quite a few retail outlets and shopping places enroute. Along Highway 4 there are masses of prawn farms, cheap eats if you want to stop. There is the floating market out this way too if you like the touristly places.

If you are not staying there pop into the Sofitel in Hua Hin a fantastic place, I was there for a while about 7 years ago. A former railroad station turned into a hotel used by the royal family in the past, in the more recent past used at the set for The Killing Fields. Ref.

Pattaya to Bangkok (allow 2 hours) on Highway 3, getting through LamChaBang is easier now the flyover is open although expect conjestion during rush hours. There is no benifit in taking Highway 7 even though you are probably used to it from the airport run. Toll charges on Highway 3 are the normal 30 Baht a couple of times if I remember correctly, but it's been about two years since I used the Bangkok end of this road. I would stop for a rest and fuel before getting into BKK.

Bangkok, (about a hour) Once in BKK just follow the road you are on, Highway 3 becomes the 3119 (or 34 - depending on which map you are looking at). You will see signs for Bang Na - this is the are you are driving through - remain on the highway, follow the road toward Lumphini Park, you will see signs for Chom Thong, you will go over a railway track, your turning South is just ahead, you will go over a second railway track, turn left (South West) on Highway 31 towards Chom Thong - you will probably see signs for Highway 35 the area you want to drive through is called Samut Songkram.

Bangkok to Hua Hin, (about two hours) once on Highway 35 it's an easy run roughly South West to Highway 4, you can't miss it as it's the only road running South. With this in mind both the 35 and 4 get busy from about 4pm during the week, you probably want to time your trip so you are through and clear of BKK by 3pm, that will get you into your hotel for a nice sunset over the sea at about 6pm.

Have a good trip.

Good zoomable map - but in Thai !

Print this map - English.

Things to see: I think your crossing of the Chao Phraya river in BKK is over the Taksin Rama 8 bridge (not named after the former prime minister).

Highway 35 out of BKK has quite a few retail outlets and shopping places enroute. Along Highway 4 there are masses of prawn farms, cheap eats if you want to stop. There is the floating market out this way too if you like the touristly places.

If you are not staying there pop into the Sofitel in Hua Hin a fantastic place, I was there for a while about 7 years ago. A former railroad station turned into a hotel used by the royal family in the past, in the more recent past used at the set for The Killing Fields. Ref.

Hi Cuban :o

Thanks very much indeed for replying so comprehensively, very useful information and advice. I'll follow your route exactly.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance you could give us a trip report?

I have been thinking of doing the same for a while, so having knowledge from soneome who has already done it would be great.

Cheers

PATTAYA to HUA HIN - ROAD TRIP REPORT

Car - Toyota Yaris

Onboard

Driver - Matador

Navigator – G/F

Maps, etc.

Hard copy of directions courtesy of TV member Cuban (see above), 2 x Roadmaps (1 Thai, 1 Farang), 1 Hand Drawn Map (A4) courtesy of Service Station Manager acquired en-route.

Music

Amy Winehouse (Back to Black)

Rihanna (Good Girl Gone Bad - Remixes)

Hard Fi (Once Upon a Time in the West)

Refreshment

Coke Zero

Mirinda Orange

Nescafe Latte

Statistics

Pattaya to Hua Hin (Wednesday)

Departure Time: 10.20

Arrival Time: 15.30

Distance: 390.90 Kms

We followed Cuban's excellent directions (above) but got lost somewhere in Bangkok! Stopped at Service Station and manager drew us a map and told us to head for Dao Khanong. Dao Khanong is very well signposted and so easy to find. Once in that area it's straight forward because Phetchaburi is sign posted from there.

Hua Hin to Pattaya (Saturday)

Departure Time: 15.00

Arrival Time: 19.45

Distance - 330.30 Kms

Driving back from Hua Hin to Pattaya is easy. The sporadic signposting in Bangkok which caused problems on the way doesn't apply on the return because Suvarnabhumi Airport appears to be the most signposted destination in Thailand! So, after leaving Hua Hin I followed signs to Phetchaburi, Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi Airport, Chonburi and then Pattaya. You can't go wrong on the return journey. Arriving in Bangkok on a Saturday evening having left Hua Hin fairly late means that the traffic is slow going through the city but it's not too bad.

Summary

Between Pattaya and Bangkok it's personal preference as to whether you take Highway 3 or 7. I prefer Highway 7. Both are fairly scenic and have similar levels of traffic but Highway 3's traffic lights mean it can be a bit of a slog. For both roads early to mid-mornings are best, afternoons and early evenings become rather busy and at night the mobile chicanes (trucks), lack of road lights and roadworks can occasionally reduce progress to a steady crawl!

As Cuban correctly pointed out, getting to Bangkok in both directions is straightforward however once in the city despite having very clear and accurate directions it's quite easy for the uninitiated to get lost because some of the roads aren't signposted very well. A Thai speaker/reader is very helpful especially if like us you become lost at some point.

The road south from Bangkok to Phetchaburi is very pleasant indeed, beautiful scenery, plenty of places to refuel, eat, etc. If contemplating this trip follow Cuban's directions and as well as a Thai road map have a detailed Bangkok city map to hand as well because it's quite easy to miss a turning.

Footnote Regarding Hua Hin & Khao Takiab

I've been to Hua Hin a couple of times before and I've always enjoyed it. The pace and atmosphere is very different to Pattaya and it makes a nice change. One major irritation is the closing of practically every restaurant in the area at about 22.00. One of the few exceptions is McDonalds which closes at midnight. In fact the only entertainment establishments that seem to remain open until 01.00 – 02.00 are the relatively small collection of beer bars on the roads opposite The Hilton Hotel. In comparison to their Pattaya counterparts these bars are rather subdued but pleasant enough. As you would expect Hua Hin is very much quieter in all respects when compared to Pattaya.

On this trip I discovered Khao Takiab (Chopstick Mountain), a small fishing village a few minutes drive south of Hua Hin town centre. Khao Takiab is developing fast with hotels, restaurants and various properties popping up everywhere but despite this it definitely retains a certain charm. There are several seafood restaurants in the area and most are very reasonably priced. The views at the 'La Mer' restaurant (directions and 10% discount coupon here) overlooking Hua Hin are spectacular. The food is good but not great. Visit, and for B50.00 feed the monkeys at the temple further up the mountain from 'La Mer'. Back down the mountain fish and seafood can be bought from the fishing boats directly (early morning) or from one of the nearby stalls (at a more sociable hour) if you fancy cooking it yourself.

Edited by matador