Coastline Of Koh Samui

LaoPo

Has anybody an idea how many Kms the coastline of Samui stretches ?

The ring road stretches for about 40-43 Kms* but the coastline itself must a lot longer.

I guess it should be, with all the 'curves' and bays, between 100-150 Kms ? I tried to find it on Google, without success...

Note: I just read the ring road is some 53 Kms...? :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

The ring road stretches for about 40-43 Kms* but the coastline itself must a lot longer.

I guess it should be, with all the 'curves' and bays, between 100-150 Kms ? I tried to find it on Google, without success...

LaoPo

56 kms ring road, as for the coast line , if the island is 256 sq kms , sorry can''t work it out right now, but will get back to you.

LaoPo

56 kms ring road, as for the coast line , if the island is 256 sq kms , sorry can''t work it out right now, but will get back to you.

If the land mass is 256 sq kms the the coast line should be..........Drum roll please..........Same.

That would include all the bays,headlands & so on.

I failed maths just a guess :D

LaoPo

89 km

There is a ruler function in Google earth.

LaoPo

89 km

Would appreciate your link or calculation as to why it would be 89 Kms...?

LaoPo

Note: I just read the ring road is some 53 Kms...? :D

LaoPo

89 km

LaoPo

Try the ruler function in Google earth.

You can plot as as many point you want.

Choose ruler / path, then you can plot.

I made the attached picture around Chaweng lake.

Every morning I had my morning swim around the lake and I have always thought it was 4,832 km.

Now I know it is almost 5,6 km.

I feel very tired now... :o

Reason edit: One in .gif and one in .jpg

Edited by PoorSucker

^

I got money to say if you stretch out the coast line it's a lot further than 89k's

He is pretty close Mid, just bearing in mind that the ruler is a point to point coordinate,the curvatures would make a slight diff but not that great.

Note: I just read the ring road is some 53 Kms...? :D

LaoPo

89 km

LaoPo

Try the ruler function in Google earth.

You can plot as as many point you want.

Choose ruler / path, then you can plot.

I made the attached picture around Chaweng lake.

Every morning I had my morning swim around the lake and I have always thought it was 4,832 km.

Now I know it is almost 5,6 km.

I feel very tired now... :o

Reason edit: One in .gif and one in .jpg

WOW !!! Thank you PS, for teaching me and it's much appreciated !

Well, I did what PS told me and I came to a total of 87 Km Coastline of Samui (without the smaller islands around).

That's not 100% secure of course but pretty accurate and it could indeed be the 89 Km, mentioned earlier by Poorsucker.

So let's make it semi-official by ca. 90 Km; everybody happy and something to refer to in the future :D

Thanks again PS, never to old to learn... :D

LaoPo

I've just spent the last day measuring the coastline and I make it 256.5 KM and that's at the high tide make, does someone disagree?

my money says your closer to the real figure .

265,5 km, hmmmm....

The Island is 256 sq km.

265,5 km makes 6637,5 rai of beach property.

:o

I think I have found a new land scandal...

I've just spent the last day measuring the coastline and I make it 256.5 KM and that's at the high tide make, does someone disagree?

my money says your closer to the real figure .

265,5 km, hmmmm....

The Island is 256 sq km.

Well, mats is not your thing, hahaha.

256 sq km is 160 000 rai. And no, its not all on the beach. No new scandal.

As for the maths, i could make a long post but i go the short way and send you a link, hahaha:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/area#km2

Calculations are best done solberly, poorsucker. :D:D:D

265,5 km, hmmmm....

The Island is 256 sq km.

1 rai = 40*40 meters on the beach.

I don't think 4,15% of all property is going to fit on the beach.

High Water Mark , post #13

Ahh, thanks

Just wondering how the poster came to that number.

Can the method be explained?

Can not see the high tide mark on google earth.

I still reckon it's equivalent to the land mass.But using your method proves me wrong.

I'll try & check something else.

There has to be a little bit of bullshit on the forum some time just to make it interesting, anyway still reckon it will be in the high 2 hundreds. Lets wait for a rocket scientest to work it out.

Here is one for the rocket scientists..................

https://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=30

^

nice find Roo , thanxs .

no doubt LP knew exactly what sort of a hornets nest he was stirring up when he posted this thread . :o

good attempt PS and no I ain't sitting down to GE for a day or so to increase your total number of plot points by a factor of 10 or more .

so that said , I'm also in the camp that 89K's is too low .

^

nice find Roo , thanxs .

no doubt LP knew exactly what sort of a hornets nest he was stirring up when he posted this thread . :D

good attempt PS and no I ain't sitting down to GE for a day or so to increase your total number of plot points by a factor of 10 or more .

so that said , I'm also in the camp that 89K's is too low .

:D Actually Mid, I was not aware of that but surprised it was so difficult to find the exact length of Coastline of Samui.

Anyway, I did a pretty secure measurement according to the Google Map tools (advised by PoorSucker) and assuming the coordinates of the Google Earth maps are accurate, those measurements are CORRECT !

SO: the coastline of Samui is more or less between 87 - 90 Km in lenght.

In order to convince the non-believers:

I did another measurement (with the help of Google Earth) of the length of the Samui airport strip, which is 2.060 meters or 2.06 Km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samui_Airport

It is exactly so, thus 2.06 Km. Meaning that the Google Earth tools can be trusted.

SO, the measurements I did yesterday (87 KM) are pretty accurate. although the clouds are in the way in some areas... :o

Conclusion, it can't be much over 87 Km and certainly not in the hundreds of Kms.

LaoPo