Electric Space Heater

ricklev

As best as I can tell there is exactly one electric space heater for sale (not one brand, one heater) in all of Chiang Mai. (Of course I'm sure that not true, I'm speaking hyperbolically) It is at Robinson at Central Airport and is priced at 6000 baht. I posted looking for a cheaper one a few days ago, but Home Pro, which seemed the best advice, does not have them. Has anyone seen a cheaper one?

As best as I can tell there is exactly one electric space heater for sale (not one brand, one heater) in all of Chiang Mai. (Of course I'm sure that not true, I'm speaking hyperbolically) It is at Robinson at Central Airport and is priced at 6000 baht. I posted looking for a cheaper one a few days ago, but Home Pro, which seemed the best advice, does not have them. Has anyone seen a cheaper one?

Global House has them for 2,800 baht. There's a display over next to the electrical section, near the in store restaurant. I don't know if that's the regular price or a sale price.

An update on space heaters at Global House (and thanks also Priceless). They have a large stock of two models (same brand, different sizes). The large one is 2850.00 Baht and the smaller (about half the size in depth) is 2050.00 Baht. I bought two of them (smaller one), one for home and one for the office. I know, a bit early, but if the temperature does nose dive in a few weeks, suspect they will disappear fast.

post-566-1194170191_thumb.jpg

I bought the 2800 baht heaters today. The "adjustable" thermostat set at its warmest temperature cycles off at about 22 degrees. Then it cycles on and off every minute or so with a very audible click to maintain its warmest temperature. It seems to work fine otherwise and I guess what I will have to do is wire in a better thermostat. It certainly has the capacity to work properly but is either flawed in design or manufacture. What a piece of crap.

I wonder how long it will take before someone tells me that 22 is warm enough........

I bought the 2800 baht heaters today. The "adjustable" thermostat set at its warmest temperature cycles off at about 22 degrees. Then it cycles on and off every minute or so with a very audible click to maintain its warmest temperature. It seems to work fine otherwise and I guess what I will have to do is wire in a better thermostat. It certainly has the capacity to work properly but is either flawed in design or manufacture. What a piece of crap.

I wonder how long it will take before someone tells me that 22 is warm enough........

I suspect the temperature sensor is mounted to the oil tanks and not to the room temperature itself (just a guess). The oil tanks act as a temperature reservoir. I've designed several temperature controllers for the lab including a solid state relay, also self designed, good to 4000 watts. If the unit doesn't control correctly I will just add one of these to it.

Tywais, please do post and let me know your experience whenever it gets cold or you get around to checking them out. I was thinking about bypassing the existing thermostat and wiring in an external electronic AC thermostat. Will that work? Thanks!

No help to you of course (sorry) but I brought my electric space heaters (radiator) with me from Oz. Friends laughed about it but being experienced with the north of Thailand I knew the traps of thinking "this is a hot climate - never going to need a heater" HUH!!

Three days ago, I plugged in the heater with an adaptor plug to the quizzical look of the girl - within 30 seconds she was draped over the top of it and has refused to move since. Reminds me of a cat we had that used to lie on top of the heater vents from the central heating. I could smell burning car fur and had to pry the animal off the outlet. The hair was scorching hot and would burn him where I touched but he would stay there all winter.

Same deal with cars - most of them don't have a heater - great A/C but not heater. Did a visa run to Mai Sai in the middle of winter and had to drive the whole way with the windows down to prevent the windscreen from fogging up. Would have been warmer on the motor bike.

CB