Converting Non Immigrant "o" To "o-a" Retirement

I have a Non Immigrant "O" Visa with multiple entry granted by Hull UK. When I convert this to an "O-A" retirement Visa (by production of Police Report, Financial statment etc. to Thai Immigration in CM or BKK) does the effective expiry date remain as per the original "O" or does it run for 12 months from the point of conversion?

Thanks

Dave :o

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not convert to an O-A visa. You extend your current permitted to stay for one year at a time. You do not need police report or medical. You visit Immigration with proof of 800k in Thai bank account for three months and bank passbook and letter from bank of account balance; or you obtain a letter from your Embassy of 65k monthly income/pension or you use a combination of the two.

The O-A is a special visa issued by a Consulate that allows a one year permitted to stay stamp upon entry into Thailand. It is not obtained in Thailand.

For extension - the current policy seems to be that it runs for one year from the end of the current permitted to stay until stamp in your passport.

Does this mean that the Thai Consulate in Hull is issuing incorrect information

at points 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 below, copied from thier web site .

Royal Thai Consulate

Priory Court Saxon Way Priory Park West Hessle HULL HU13 9PB

Tel: 01482 581668 Fax: 01482 628877

Email: [email protected] Website: www.thaiconsul-uk.com

INFORMATION ABOUT RETIRING IN THAILAND

(Non-Immigrant Category "O-A" Retirement Visa)

The necessary qualifications and required documents to enable a British passport holder to apply for retirement status

in Thailand are as follows:-

1. Qualification of an applicant

1. British passport holder aged 50 years or above.

2. Not prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act BE 2522 (1979).

3. No criminal record in the UK, in the country of residency (if different) or in Thailand.

4. No medical record of contagious disease.

5. Able to support themselves financially.

Please note it is not possible to work in Thailand with the "O-A" visa.

2. Required documents for visa application

2.1 Validity of passport for at least one year from date of entering Thailand.

2.2 Three "Non-Immigrant Category „O-A Visa Application Forms" with three passport

size recent photographs attached – see page 7/9.

2.3 Three "Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant „O-A Visa" – see page 8/9.

2.4 Obtain a written confirmation of financial position which is available only from the

British Embassy in Bangkok. Applicants need to demonstrate to the Consul at the

British Embassy, Bangkok that they meet the financial requirements of minimum

lump-sum equivalent to Baht 800,000 or minimum monthly income of Baht 65,000.

See page 10/10 for more information.

2.5 Criminal Record – you need to contact your UK Area Police Force and request a

"Subject Access Report". Please be aware that it can take up to 40 days for it to be

issued. Furthermore, please note it must be submitted to the Thai authorities within

three months of date of issue.

2.6 Medical record, issued no more that three months prior to application, stating that

applicant has never been infected with any contagious disease in accordance with

Thai Immigration Act BE 2522 – see page 9/9. This document is for completion by

a doctor in Thailand.

The above documents (2.1 to 2.6) to be presented to Thai Immigration Bureau in Thailand

Af(1/10) 02/Jul/2007

1/10

Dave, you are confusing 2 different things. The "O-A" Visa is only issued outside Thailand, and allows you to stay in Thailand for a year. The so-called "Retirement Visa" is simply an extension to your current Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, which you apply for at an Immigration Office within Thailand. For this extension you do not need to show police clearance or a medical certificate, simply 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, or an income of 65,000 baht per month, or a combination of the two. I think the "O-A" Visa can be extended on similar terms.

The Hull Consulate website is correct, as it gives the requirements for obtaining an "O-A" Visa (not the extension to a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa.

Hope this clarifies things.

Edit after seeing Lopburi3's post. The Hull Consulate's website is only talking about the "O-A" Visa, and seems correct to me.

Edited by eyebee

Eyebee,

If the "O-A" visa is only issued outside Thailand why would I need to get a financial statement from the UK Embassy in Bangkok as at 2.4 of the Hull blurb?

Many thanks for the clarification, probably best to just go with the flow rather than trying to understand it all beforehand.

Dave

Monitoring extensions based on retirement for six years, as reported in TV and my own experience with what Sydney Consulate told me, web pages of various consulates and Embassies around the world vary in accuracy and requirements.

The Consulate in Sydney said that each consul or Embassy can pretty much do whatever they want when issuing visas, within certain limits, so I think you can expect a wide variance in interpretations of the regulations between consulates and Embassies around the world and what they require.

...The "O-A" Visa is only issued outside Thailand, and allows you to stay in Thailand for a year...

Different people use the term “retirement visa” to mean different things. From what I have observed, it is used mostly to mean the non-O-A visa (obtained from a Thai consulate), whereas “retirement extension” is used to mean the annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement (obtained at an immigration office)

--

Maestro

I refer to lopburi3's and eyebee's reply to the OP. (And now, I see, ProThaiExpat's reply).

Do I understand correctly that:

(1) an O-A visa is a one-year-only visa, not less not more, yes?

(2) and having obtained the O-A from an O/S consulate, and having been in Thailand for 9 months of that first year (and wanting to stay beyond that year) that

(3) by that 9-month point, or earlier, in order to stay for a second year, the 800,000 must now be in a Thai account.

(4) that the 800,000 is not required for the first year's stay -- and if it's not

(5) what funding (and proof of funding) is required for the first year, and when is it required - before leaving (e.g. Sydney) or after arriving in Thailand.

(6) is a "non-immigrant O visa" different to a 'non immigrant O-A Visa'? Lopburi3, you do not refer to an "O" type.

(7) is there a visa known officially as a 'Retirement Visa'?

If this is too tedious to bother with I'll understand. I'll pick it up eventually. Thanks.

Most of us find it easier to come here with a regular O, not an O-A, and then convert to retirement extension in Thailand. I got this by saying I was "exploring retirement in Thailand" as my reason and this is common. Some embassies will not grant an O for that, and will demand an O-A application, last I checked Washington DC is like that.

Edited by Jingthing

Does this mean that the Thai Consulate in Hull is issuing incorrect information

at points 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 below, copied from thier web site .

Royal Thai Consulate

Priory Court Saxon Way Priory Park West Hessle HULL HU13 9PB

Tel: 01482 581668 Fax: 01482 628877

Email: [email protected] Website: www.thaiconsul-uk.com

INFORMATION ABOUT RETIRING IN THAILAND

(Non-Immigrant Category "O-A" Retirement Visa)

The necessary qualifications and required documents to enable a British passport holder to apply for retirement status

in Thailand are as follows:-

1. Qualification of an applicant

1. British passport holder aged 50 years or above.

2. Not prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act BE 2522 (1979).

3. No criminal record in the UK, in the country of residency (if different) or in Thailand.

4. No medical record of contagious disease.

5. Able to support themselves financially.

Please note it is not possible to work in Thailand with the "O-A" visa.

2. Required documents for visa application

2.1 Validity of passport for at least one year from date of entering Thailand.

2.2 Three "Non-Immigrant Category „O-A Visa Application Forms" with three passport

size recent photographs attached – see page 7/9.

2.3 Three "Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant „O-A Visa" – see page 8/9.

2.4 Obtain a written confirmation of financial position which is available only from the

British Embassy in Bangkok. Applicants need to demonstrate to the Consul at the

British Embassy, Bangkok that they meet the financial requirements of minimum

lump-sum equivalent to Baht 800,000 or minimum monthly income of Baht 65,000.

See page 10/10 for more information.

2.5 Criminal Record – you need to contact your UK Area Police Force and request a

"Subject Access Report". Please be aware that it can take up to 40 days for it to be

issued. Furthermore, please note it must be submitted to the Thai authorities within

three months of date of issue.

2.6 Medical record, issued no more that three months prior to application, stating that

applicant has never been infected with any contagious disease in accordance with

Thai Immigration Act BE 2522 – see page 9/9. This document is for completion by

a doctor in Thailand.

The above documents (2.1 to 2.6) to be presented to Thai Immigration Bureau in Thailand

Af(1/10) 02/Jul/2007

1/10

yes information is not correct, we are going to thai embassy in London only place to get a O/A visa in uk,Hull can only issue a O,all that you have high lighted in red is for o/a visa from embassy in your own country.

I refer to lopburi3's and eyebee's reply to the OP. (And now, I see, ProThaiExpat's reply).

Do I understand correctly that:

(1) an O-A visa is a one-year-only visa, not less not more, yes?

(2) and having obtained the O-A from an O/S consulate, and having been in Thailand for 9 months of that first year (and wanting to stay beyond that year) that

(3) by that 9-month point, or earlier, in order to stay for a second year, the 800,000 must now be in a Thai account.

(4) that the 800,000 is not required for the first year's stay -- and if it's not

(5) what funding (and proof of funding) is required for the first year, and when is it required - before leaving (e.g. Sydney) or after arriving in Thailand.

(6) is a "non-immigrant O visa" different to a 'non immigrant O-A Visa'? Lopburi3, you do not refer to an "O" type.

(7) is there a visa known officially as a 'Retirement Visa'?

If this is too tedious to bother with I'll understand. I'll pick it up eventually. Thanks.

1. Yes. It is a pre-approved (A) one year permitted to stay upon entry visa.

2. There are several options - if you obtain a multi entry O-A you can receive a new one year permitted to stay stamp on any entry during the one year validity of the visa. If single entry you apply for an extension of stay after 11 months of the one year stay.

3. To use 800k bank deposit method (three months prior to application for extension of stay the money should be in a Thai account at the start of month 8 (you apply for extension early - not on your last day allowed).

4. The money is required to obtain a O-A visa in home country - but does not have to be in a Thai bank account.

5. Funding is required when you apply for O-A visa in home country, along with police report and medical.

6. A non immigrant O visa allows 90 day stay (as with other non immigrant visas). The O-A is what is different. There is no need for a non immigrant O visa if you apply for the O-A type.

7. No. The O-A is officially called "long stay". But it is in effect the visa issued for retirement. What you obtain inside Thailand will be extensions of stay (added time to your entry permitted to stay stamp) and that is marked as "retirement".

Lopburi 3

Can you help me with this regarding the thai embassy in uk documents 2.4 to 2.8 i.e medical ,police check,bank statements,it says

Documents as stated in 2.4-2.8 must be certifyed by notary public or from the competent authority concerned of the country of application.

Does this mean that our solicitor can certify all documents or do we need to go to solicitors that are also public notary of which their is only one in our town.Thanks

Eyebee,

If the "O-A" visa is only issued outside Thailand why would I need to get a financial statement from the UK Embassy in Bangkok as at 2.4 of the Hull blurb?

Many thanks for the clarification, probably best to just go with the flow rather than trying to understand it all beforehand.

Dave

Hull is mistaken and peddling incorrect information. An O-A visa can only be applied for in your home country.

I am a bit lost .....I have an "O" Visa. Can I get this converted to an "O-A" in Thailand by producing a police report, medical and the financial stement??? r is it ONLY issued ouitside Thailand. In Ireland we have to apply through the UK and that takes forever and we have no direct access to info.

No you can not and there is no need to do so. What you want is an extension of stay - not a visa/change If you are in Thailand on a non immigrant visa you can extend your stay for retirement if over age 50 and have 800k in bank account three months or 65k monthly income as listed in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. This is called an extension of stay for retirement and lasts for one year and you do the same routine each year to renew it. There is no police report or medical normally required for this.

Eyebee,

Dave

Hull is mistaken and peddling incorrect information. An O-A visa can only be applied for in your home country.

And, in the UK, the ONLY place that you can get an O-A is at the RTE in London. Hull are not allowed to issue them,

DM

lopburi3, thanks so much for the clarifications.

I'm personally feeling though, due to inexperience with the visa's (O, O-A) that the subject really takes a heck of a lot of explanation and understanding!

Thus, if one is eligible and wants to go the retirement path and does NOT go for the O-A initially in own country, what reason / reasons does the applicant give their 'local' consulate as for just wanting an "O" Visa.

One experienced member in a recent post stated words to the affect that "most of us find it easier to enter Thailand on a regular "O" Visa and change to the retirement extensions once in the kingdom" (similar wording?)

Do you agree with this and if more convenient, not usually requiring a medical or police report if done in Thailand, what basis is just the "O" obtained with first up?

If you go with the O route, please ask more questions because you will have to comply with the three month money seasoning rule with money in a bank in Thailand, and that can be a little tricky. I suggest asking for a double entry to give your money time to season. If you already have a Thai bank account, wire in the money now if you can and then you could get by with a single entry O. I am assuming you are using the bank account method. I don't know if they would require any seasoned money if your pension fully covers the 800K.

No you can not and there is no need to do so. What you want is an extension of stay - not a visa/change If you are in Thailand on a non immigrant visa you can extend your stay for retirement if over age 50 and have 800k in bank account three months or 65k monthly income as listed in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. This is called an extension of stay for retirement and lasts for one year and you do the same routine each year to renew it. There is no police report or medical normally required for this.

Thanks for your very precise reply and info!! I guess I'll go for the O-A and be done with it. Thing is it can take weeks for me here,...maybe better to go over and hand the applicatoion in to the Embassy and see all is in order.

An O-A doesn't mean you are done with it. When you move to Thailand, you are never done with immigration issues. Just as if you entered on an O visa, you are still subject to annual extensions under the exact same requirements.

Having an O-A over an O doesn't give you any special status. And because it is harder to get than an O, many just do not bother. It does mean you don't have to transfer money into Thailand until the time of your first annual extension and then there is that trick where you can make the OA last longer by exiting and reentering at the right time (ask for details, you will probably want to do that). And in case you need this said again, if you did enter on an O you never need to convert to an OA, in fact, you can't.

Edited by Jingthing

I may have missed something here but the conventional wisdom some months ago to which lopburi3 agreed was that it was a lot easier to come to Thailand on any kind of visa, or even a permit upon entry, and then get the non-imm-O here in Thailand, as no medical exam and no police report was necessary.

There were some who felt they would go to the extra trouble to get the non-imm-OA overseas as their comfort level would be higher if they had the visa before they left their home country.

So I am lost as why there is so much discussion regarding an O or an OA, what difference does it make for someone who is coming to extend based on retirement since you can do that in Thailand regardless of the visa or entry permit you are coming in on?

If you arrive in Thailand and open a bank account during your first week into which you place the 800k, by the time you use up the time on your entry visa and then obtain an non-imm-O, you should have enough time to age your deposit. The pension + method doesn't require aging so it is not an issue.

So tell me, what have I missed? Is everyone dancing on the head of a pin or am I the pin head?

Good point, Pro. As far as I know you could till still convert anything to an O in Thailand if going for a retirement extension. But that is an extra step. So its nice and also very easy to get an O based on exploring retirement before you arrive, so why not? As a crazy boss of mine used to say incessantly, there are many ways to skin a chicken.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are in Thailand on a non immigrant visa you can extend your stay for retirement if over age 50 and have 800k in bank account three months or 65k monthly income as listed in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. This is called an extension of stay for retirement and lasts for one year and you do the same routine each year to renew it. There is no police report or medical normally required for this.

I have been obtaining a new O Visa each year in Brisbane Australia, so this is welcome advice for me. My income is not a pension however and I understood that was a necessary condition of the monthly income requirement. I draw a salary from a private company in Australia.

Lopburi3, do I understand from your advice that I could ask the Australian Embassy to confirm my salary in writing and take this letter to the Thai immigration together with my current non O visa to request an extension of that visa? I am over age 50.

Many thanks for the information already provided.

"So tell me, what have I missed? Is everyone dancing on the head of a pin or am I the pin head?"

quote: ProThaiExpat

I'm sure you are not the "pin head", it's just that the up's and down's of what one should do with what circumstance they find themselves in vary so much.

Okay, even though the topic has been answered with many possibilities, I'll ask specifically what one would be wise to do in the following example;

I'm sure we have all got it through our heads what the financial obligation is whether monthly OR as a lump sum. Thus I would say that anyone 'needs' to be able to be sure that they can meet this for at least a few years, OR why consider retirement in the kingdom in the first place.

Thus, let's say we fully know and understand the "BAHT" question!

Let's also say that we know and understand that it is better that Multi-Entry visa's are going to make it easier to come and go, to satisfy renewal purposes. Thus more Baht needed up one's sleeve to travel and to have the magic 800,000 back in the vault, 3 months prior to any renewal, in the case of the lump-sum method.

In the case of Australians, I don't think Sydney (who handle all types of "0" Visa, even for the other state consulates) requires a Medical report any more. This may be a rumour?

Taking the above into account, does this narrow the advice down as to whether "0" or "0-A" first up, at least for Australians.

Regarding the "letter from your Embassy" to confirm income, does anyone have any experience of the British Embassy on this? For example, how much history and what supporting documents?