Virus From Thai Online Games?

Ian_B

Seems I have picked up a virus somehow but don't know how! I have the latest virus definitions (I used F-Prot and installed XP service pack 2 and enabled the firewall.

So far the only programs affected are the 2 online games I play all the time - Pristontale & Mu Online. F-Prot says both programs have an unknown virus and refuse to load the games. I have the latest definition files. Both were fine on Friday when I last played.

Anybody else having problms? Can't think how I got it as my virus software is on all the time!

Hello Ian,

You not have to invest into new hardware, you can install a 3th party software Firewall from Zonelabs (http://www.zonelabs.com) or Tiny Software (http://www.tinysoftware.com).

There are many other Firewall programs out there but I know from ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1.011 and Tiny Personal Firewall 6 that they are WinXP SP2 compatible.

With kind regards,

Richard

P.S. One advice to everybody, please don’t trust the Firewall in SP2 and install some additional software.

No the service pack was the legit copy mirrored at www.neowin.net, a reputabel site.

I guess I may have to buy a hardware firewall?

AFAIK SP2 is not allowed on any site outside of Microsoft. You most likely do not have a legal copy and it may indeed be the source of your virus.

Pretty sure Neowin had permission to mirror it - Neowin is a very popular source of info on all things computer related. A big site like that would not risk the the wrath and litigation MS would bring upon them.

And you expected anything less from Microshaft?

Sometimes a format is the only way mate, hope you can get it sorted without resorting to that.

I use Zonealarm, and ive not had a problem... yet.

(used them for over 3 years)

Pretty sure Neowin had permission to mirror it - Neowin is a very popular source of info on all things computer related. A big site like that would not risk the the wrath and litigation MS would bring upon them.

Finally, Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not download Windows XP SP2 from non-Microsoft sources, mirror sites, BitTorrents or peer-to-peer networks. Microsoft’s license agreement does not allow third-party sites to legally distribute this copyrighted code. The Microsoft Download Center site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads) is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP2 for download, please send e-mail to: [email protected] or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.

Source: Microsoft.com

The version I got was from www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=23138&category=main

It really seems genuine to me and I've not had any problems with it on my laptop and work PC

I deleted the entire pristontale prog ran a complete virus and nothing detected- then DL'd the client from TA site (got the entire 550MB file in less than 30mins!!)

Installed it and same virus error - it is the gameguard authentication file that has the "virus" I delete it and when I run the prog again the files gets generated and the same error message pops up.

Wife's getting antsy at not being able to play it so I'd better come up with a solution soon!

I think it's a false alarm. Your antivirus program is most likely seeing a legit file as containing a virus signature, and therefore calling it a virus. Best bet is to just exclude the game directory from online scans. I used to get similar false alarms from McAfee and various installers.