Indonesia To Become The Spain Of The East

sunreader

OK its not just as Malaysia is not, but the Malaysia thread gave a nice general impression of peoples perspective of the country.

What about Indonesia? My trips to Thailand usually included a trip to a different country for comparison purposes, so what are peoples views on Indonesia regards the people,culture,tourism,retirement?

I've just posted on another thread related to this.

The topic title is a shot-at-the-moon chance, Malaysia has more potential but anything can happen out here in Asia.

AFAIK the visa situation is pretty strict.

30 day visas and then you've got to leave, for expats you've either got to be working or married to a local.

Single expat visas (like the non-immigrant o) are nonexistant (correct me if I'm wrong though, I've not been to Indo. yet)

I think with the work visas they are a lot tougher, someone once said that when employ the locals you're encouraged to train them up so that they can do the job you've originally planned to do yourself.

The country is reputed to be like Thailand was 20 years ago. The people. the style and the mentality are a bit different. I don't think the naughty night-life has caught on. Partly due to the Islamic mentality, although some friends who've visited Bali have said it's a bit 'warmer' there (so to speak) due to a different ethnic mix.

Anyone heard what the buzz is down there?

I've just posted on another thread related to this.

The topic title is a shot-at-the-moon chance, Malaysia has more potential but anything can happen out here in Asia.

AFAIK the visa situation is pretty strict.

30 day visas and then you've got to leave, for expats you've either got to be working or married to a local.

Single expat visas (like the non-immigrant o) are nonexistant (correct me if I'm wrong though, I've not been to Indo. yet)

I think with the work visas they are a lot tougher, someone once said that when employ the locals you're encouraged to train them up so that they can do the job you've originally planned to do yourself.

The country is reputed to be like Thailand was 20 years ago. The people. the style and the mentality are a bit different. I don't think the naughty night-life has caught on. Partly due to the Islamic mentality, although some friends who've visited Bali have said it's a bit 'warmer' there (so to speak) due to a different ethnic mix.

Anyone heard what the buzz is down there?

Bali is a great place and as far as i'm concerned nicer than LOS, plenty of hindus in Bali which makes for a much frienldier atmosphere with genuine people. prices are good, foods great, scenery great, some nice beaches, beautiful tropical area with high rainfall in the hills. still great place and a lot of muslims headed back to jakarta when tourism dropped. but alas like you said - visa problems or thats where i would most defianetely be.

• 2 weeks later...

Indonesia has a so called social visa budaya. With this visa you can stay 6 month in the country. After two months you have to renew it every month. After six month you have to get out of the country and get a new one. You can get it in Bangkok in three days. But to get it, you need a letter of a so called sponsor. This must be an Indonesian person. If you don't know any, you also can get it from a visa office. More infos here http://www.bali-expat-business.com/ . The retirement visa is a little bit more difficult, but not much... :o

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The country is reputed to be like Thailand was 20 years ago

i keep reading nonsense and still have no idea what it means.

as for night life...well as someone said it s the best kept secret in south east asia but hey, let the fanatics keep you away

for more detail about visas check out www.expat.or.id for something about the nightlife try the erratic jakarta nite out

Indonesia has a so called social visa budaya. With this visa you can stay 6 month in the country. After two months you have to renew it every month. After six month you have to get out of the country and get a new one. You can get it in Bangkok in three days. But to get it, you need a letter of a so called sponsor. This must be an Indonesian person. If you don't know any, you also can get it from a visa office. More infos here http://www.bali-expat-business.com/ . The retirement visa is a little bit more difficult, but not much... :o

Thats for the short stay (and what my brother uses to stay on Bali).. But for a mere 1000 USD a year a local lawyer will sort out all the ins and outs for a kitas paper which keeps you incountry full time (and also means you can own a bike or car, get phone lines, get a local bank account) etc etc etc.

I love Indonesia, possibly due to the fact that my wife is Indonesian. I previously lived in Surabaya and I must say that it gives Thailand serious competition if considered for longterm relocation.

In regards to nightlife, I don't think that is quite true. They have a great nightlife in Indonesia (Jakarta, Bali, Surabaya) though not if you are looking for areas which are infested with pay-per-view-ladies & sexhungry tourists.

Love it there, still relatively unspoiled. Hope it doesn't become the next Thailand...

I don't think the naughty night-life has caught on. Partly due to the Islamic mentality,

True!

i went out in kuta on saturday night and was shocked at the number of hookers around the place. i left phuket to get away from that rubbish and now bali is getting it too. the people i were with didnt like it one bit.

having said that, i live in sanur, which is a much quieter and nice area, and although there are a number of hooker bars that cater to locals, its not in your face in the main street.

i do love living in bali.

I don't think the naughty night-life has caught on. Partly due to the Islamic mentality,

True!

i went out in kuta on saturday night and was shocked at the number of hookers around the place. i left phuket to get away from that rubbish and now bali is getting it too. the people i were with didnt like it one bit.

having said that, i live in sanur, which is a much quieter and nice area, and although there are a number of hooker bars that cater to locals, its not in your face in the main street.

i do love living in bali.

That surely depends on what time you are bouncing around Kuta (Legian) If you are there around 2 am. they all come crawling out like roaches. If you are there earlier it's usually pretty exterminated. The girls will always be there but I feel like it's less vulgar in Indonesia. I think they are trying hard not to end up with the same rep as Thailand. They are too proud for that...

You made a good choice with Sanur for living, it's beautiful & quiet.

Bali - Pertama di Dunia, gitu.

Edited by DB84

The 30 day visa is pretty strict, rumor is they are going to go back to the old 90 (or 60) day visas – but it's unconfirmed. Some Immigration guys have told me it's true, others said its not and the rest said "what?"

If you want to live in Indo and you don't have some sort of residency then you only have a few choices:

-Do a visa run. Some folks take a boat ride or fly to Singapore (that's usually what I do). The airplane trip will cost you between 120 and 300 bucks (USD), a boat (once you get there) will be around 10 bucks (I think).

-If you know someone in Immigration they will stamp you in and out for a fee (I have done it before, but only in emergencies)

-Get an extended visa in advance (many different types)

Some expats like the strict visa rules because it thins out the expat crowd

I don't think the naughty night-life has caught on. Partly due to the Islamic mentality

The naughty night-life is alive and well in Indo, I would even say its bigger than it is in places like the Philippines and Thailand. The biggest difference is its not really centralized like it is in other places in Southeast Asia, outside of Block M and a few expat bars in hotels the "naughty nightlife" isn't really that public.

Also if you don't know the city (referring to Jakarta) very well, don't have local friends and you don't speak Indonesian then you will end up missing out on 90% of the "naughty nightlife". Jakarta has places with hundreds of women working every night, but unless you know a local that told you about it or you speak the local lingo (the staff and women rarely speak English) then you will never hear about it or attempt to go.

Check out the book Jakarta Undercover 1 and 2.

But besides the "naughty" side of Indonesian nightlife there are allot of really cool nightclubs that are as "hip" as some of the best clubs anywhere else in the world. Jakarta is a great place to party in, international DJ's, beautiful people and good bands.

Jakarta is well known in expat circles as the best kept secret in Asia.

True – I actually tell people that Indonesia sucks and agree when they say that it's a hotbed of terrorism so more people don't move here (lol, joking)

You can also buy property and cars here (through a corporation), no one bothers you, the people are way cool, living expenses are reasonable (you can live off of 500 USD to "sky's the limit" a month) and there are tons of financial opportunities in Indo.

Overall Indonesia is my favorite place in Southeast Asia, admittedly not everyone peace of pie.