Not 50 Yet.

no much of a joking sort. i am kind of upset actually. i been really looking forward to settling down in thailand. i really loved it when i visited and then all these visa requirements and the bullshit got me miserable, so i went on this forum to see if there was any other ways around these things and got some good replies and others that were suppose to be a joke, just plain missed because i am feeling a little out of sorts. i guess i am not in the mood for jokes, i am just trying to figure out how i can swing this.

sorry.

a.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LivinLos,

Do you know if i can buy thai stock for 10m ? or real estate? would that qualify as well by chance?

i am not lazy, but having to take trips when i don't want to is aggravating.

i kind of want to settle down in a quite place and paint and not be destrubed by all the nonsence...

No I dont think equities qualify..

You cannot legally own land so thats a spanner in that plan.. Used to be a condo investment did qualify but that was taken away.

Your only avenue if you really wont bend a little is buying an elite card.. 1m baht plus commission is not so bad if you dont mind tieing up 10m.. I see that as a 3m cost per annum !!

ummmmmmmmmmmmm the Elite Card is based on a once only membership charge of one million baht. That was a ONE TIME membership fee.

Naam,

ok. send me your paypal account, i will deposit the 10,000 million Euro.

p.s i dont' know about that - "currency of the Greatest nation on Earth" if that were so, you wouldn't be living in thailand, would you?

no paypal in my case Amelia. by the way, i lived for fifteen years in the Greatest Nation on Earth™before i settled in Thailand three years ago. both -my wife and me- liked living in the GNoE™ very much. but as we were not U.S. citizens immigration treated us like sh*t (after september 11, 2001) so we decided to move on to the greener pastures of Thailand.

i wish i could give you some hints (contrary to what you have been told) which might enable you to live in Thailand. however, the Old Testament, the Book of Mormons, the Qr'an, the Grant Sahib, the Geeta and a bunch of other holy books prevent me from doing so... last not least it would be against the forum rules.

so then 10 mil baht = 303,000. 00 thousand US dollars.

that's is correct my dear Amelia. but you talked about 10,000 million (TEN-THOUSAND MILLION) which in most countries (mind you, not in all!) of this planet translates into 10,000,000,000 (TEN BILLION) which again have the value of more than 300,000,000 (THREE-HUNDRED MILLION) Dollars (currency of The Greatest Nation on Earth™).

:o

p.s. please send one €URo by e-mail attachment or Private Message for this maths lesson.

Maybe the currency of a great nation, but doesn't buy you much these days does it?

LivinLos,

Do you know if i can buy thai stock for 10m ? or real estate? would that qualify as well by chance?

i am not lazy, but having to take trips when i don't want to is aggravating.

i kind of want to settle down in a quite place and paint and not be destrubed by all the nonsence...

No I dont think equities qualify..

You cannot legally own land so thats a spanner in that plan.. Used to be a condo investment did qualify but that was taken away.

Your only avenue if you really wont bend a little is buying an elite card.. 1m baht plus commission is not so bad if you dont mind tieing up 10m.. I see that as a 3m cost per annum !!

ummmmmmmmmmmmm the Elite Card is based on a once only membership charge of one million baht. That was a ONE TIME membership fee.

OP said they didnt mind tieing up 10m baht.. As I said in other posts on this thread I managed 30 - 35% return on my assets so for me tieing up 10m is 'costing' me >3m per annum.

Hence an elite card is a 1m cost v the 'cost' of having 10m baht be unproductive.

Edited by LivinLOS

Naam,

you said:

i wish i could give you some hints (contrary to what you have been told) which might enable you to live in Thailand. however, the Old Testament, the Book of Mormons, the Qr'an, the Grant Sahib, the Geeta and a bunch of other holy books prevent me from doing so... last not least it would be against the forum rules."

my email is

//not on the forum//

Would you please email and give me a small hint? i would so greatly appreciate the help.

amelia

i got this off of US website regarding Malaysia and security:

SAFETY AND SECURITY: The Department of State remains concerned about the possibility of terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens in Southeast Asia. Extremist groups in the region have demonstrated the capability to carry out transnational attacks in locations where Westerners congregate, and these groups do not distinguish between civilian and official targets. The United States Government has designated two such groups, Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) as Foreign Terrorist Organizations. JI is linked to al-Qaeda and other regional terrorist groups, such as the ASG, and has cells operating throughout Southeast Asia.

The ASG, based in the southern Philippines, has kidnapped foreigners in Malaysia in recent years. Criminal elements are also responsible for kidnapping and piracy committed against foreigners. These acts of violence have occurred in the eastern islands and coastal areas of the state of Sabah, closest to the border with the Philippines. The most recent incident involving American citizens occurred in 2000. There are indications that both criminal and terrorist groups continue to plan acts of violence against foreigners.

For these reasons, the Department of State urges American citizens to evaluate carefully the risks of travel to the eastern islands and coastal areas of the state of Sabah. Americans who wish to visit these areas should exercise caution, remain alert to their surroundings, and use good personal security measures. Also, Americans who travel overland from Malaysia to Thailand should be aware of the Department of State's safety and security information for Thailand, and in particular for the several Thai provinces bordering Malaysia. Americans planning to travel to Malaysia are encouraged to register and update their contact information at the State Department’s travel registration website

SAFETY AND SECURITY: The Department of State remains concerned about the possibility of terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens in Southeast Asia. Extremist groups in the region have demonstrated the capability to carry out transnational attacks in locations where Westerners congregate, and these groups do not distinguish between civilian and official targets. The United States Government has designated two such groups, Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) as Foreign Terrorist Organizations. JI is linked to al-Qaeda and other regional terrorist groups, such as the ASG, and has cells operating throughout Southeast Asia.

The ASG, based in the southern Philippines, has kidnapped foreigners in Malaysia in recent years. Criminal elements are also responsible for kidnapping and piracy committed against foreigners. These acts of violence have occurred in the eastern islands and coastal areas of the state of Sabah, closest to the border with the Philippines. The most recent incident involving American citizens occurred in 2000. There are indications that both criminal and terrorist groups continue to plan acts of violence against foreigners.

For these reasons, the Department of State urges American citizens to evaluate carefully the risks of travel to the eastern islands and coastal areas of the state of Sabah. Americans who wish to visit these areas should exercise caution, remain alert to their surroundings, and use good personal security measures. Also, Americans who travel overland from Malaysia to Thailand should be aware of the Department of State's safety and security information for Thailand, and in particular for the several Thai provinces bordering Malaysia. Americans planning to travel to Malaysia are encouraged to register and update their contact information at the State Department’s travel registration website

Seven years since the last incident involving an American and since then we have had 9/11 and all that s*it.

It's in the US Govt interest to play up the supposed threat in Muslim countries.

Ignore it, your as safe as anyone else.

To the Original Poster, talk to the folks at Sunbelt Asia, who are a sponsor of this site. They have a main office in BKK and you can consult with them on the phone about your visa options. It would also help if you did a bit more of your own research. Info is widely available online, for instance, on the Thailand Elite program, including here on TV and on the Elite web site.

Regarding your plans, one route is to pursue a multiple entry business "b" visa that can be issued in the United States (by some Thai consulates there) for purposes of "exploring" business or real estate opportunities in the U.S. This also can be renewed annually, though it does also require the 90 day trips out of Thailand (just crossing any border).

That would cover you for a couple years, though doubtful that could be renewed for so many years until you are retirement age (50). Sunbelt can also advise you about the various techniques for setting up a Thai business for you that, with a bit of ongoing capital, can give you the foundation for ongoing visas long term.

There are some categories of visa where the requirement is only reporting to the local immigration office every 90 days, as opposed to going outside the country. But the the 90 day trips outside Thailand are pretty common for those with multiple entry visas. It's something that can be done easily, in one day, for less than 2000 baht when the times come. It's no big deal.

All you could really do is to join the ranks of people ducking and diving with Tourist Visas and 30 day entry stamps. If you read through some of the topics on here you will see that it is becomming more difficult to do this.

What a crock. I am 1 yr younger than the OP and have lived here quite legitimately for the last 2 years. Please don't be bitter that some of us whippersnappers have a bit more cash than you. I retired at 32 and do not intend to work again.

To be honest I could not give a stuff what you do or don`t do. I was just telling the Lady the facts as they are. Unlike you who are giving her false information.

On what grounds do you think she could obtain a Multi Entry Non O Visa ?

Oh Dear....................maybe you should check your facts before you offer an opinion, and make false accusations.

I found your first post offensive, and your second simply laughable.

Perhaps you could go to the UK and educate the Thai consulate as to why they have incorrectly given me back to back 12 mnth non-o visas, the grounds for which are visiting friends.

There are some of us here legitimately, please don't assume that anyone under 50 is 'ducking and diving'.

I only hope I am as knowlegable as you when I reach your age.

Edit: spelling

Edited by sweetchariot

Hello Everyone,

i am 36 year old female. i would like to retire to thailand but i am not 50 years old yet as that is what seems to qualify people for the retirement visas.

Does anyone know if i can get any kind of retirement visa to stay in the country at least 1 year at a time at my age if i do not wish to work or set up a business? i have good funds to live on, so i don't need to work. i do not plan to work, and i do not plan to marry a thai person, just want to retire. i know if i invest 10 million baht, i can get a permanent visa which i can do but i wonder if there is a cheeper way of going about it.

please, any suggestions would be most welcomed.

thank you

amelia

I haven't read the whole thread yet so aplogies if what I'm going to say has already been suggested. And I'm sure it's going to get laughted at, but a guy I konw in the same situation as you has just gotten a Thailand Elite Card, costs 1 million baht and has some privelidges.

All you could really do is to join the ranks of people ducking and diving with Tourist Visas and 30 day entry stamps. If you read through some of the topics on here you will see that it is becomming more difficult to do this.

What a crock. I am 1 yr younger than the OP and have lived here quite legitimately for the last 2 years. Please don't be bitter that some of us whippersnappers have a bit more cash than you. I retired at 32 and do not intend to work again.

To be honest I could not give a stuff what you do or don`t do. I was just telling the Lady the facts as they are. Unlike you who are giving her false information.

Oh Dear....................maybe you should check your facts before you offer an opinion, and make false accusations.

Perhaps you could go to the UK and educate the Thai consulate as to why they have incorrectly given me back to back 12 mnth non-o visas, the grounds for which are visiting friends.

There are some of us here legitimately, please don't assume that anyone under 50 is 'ducking and diving'.

You quite clearly do not read this forum very much.

If you take the trouble to read a lot of the threads on here concerning the problems people are having at the various consulates in the area you will see that things are becoming more difficult. Leaving people worried about where to apply next. If you do not percieve this to be ducking and diving to get round the current uncertanties then what do you call it. It certainly cannot be much fun having to live like this.

If insulting me makes you feel good then I am happy that I have achieved something today.

Enjoy the rest of your stay here.

Its that 4 days work or 1m baht for the elite and still finding your nearest immigration for 90 day reporting anyway.

If you have the Thailand Elite Card they'll come to you to collect your passport and take it to Immigration to do the 90 day reporting and then deliver it back to you as part of their service.

And can't you do the reporting by post anyway?

Edited by PattayaParent

yes but just read the directive and pull out a map.. your not even going to consider living in Eastern Malaysia. Most likely your going to consider the KL area or Penang because they have better infrastructure and conveniences. Statistically Malaysia is quite a bit safer than Thailand because there are heavy penalties for drugs and firearms first offenses. Also the roads are more civilized. I am not wild about Malaysia because its very hot and humid and the muslim culture is a bit less fun than Thailand.

i am just reading about crime on one of the malaysian forums and a lot of people are saying how the crime is really bad in KL, never to take cabs if you are a single woman, violant crimes are steeply on the rise, ext.

sounds like a horror story.

You quite clearly do not read this forum very much.

If you take the trouble to read a lot of the threads on here concerning the problems people are having at the various consulates in the area you will see that things are becoming more difficult. Leaving people worried about where to apply next. If you do not percieve this to be ducking and diving to get round the current uncertanties then what do you call it. It certainly cannot be much fun having to live like this.

If insulting me makes you feel good then I am happy that I have achieved something today.

Enjoy the rest of your stay here.

You quite clearly do not read other peoples posts before you start typing.

I do not get my visas from consulates in the area. I have to go back to the UK every 15 months to get a new one.

Hardly 'ducking and diving' in my opinion. Yes there are many that do, but not all of us.

It must be great to live such a 'holier than thou' life, but there are legitimate ways to stay here other than getting old.

Its that 4 days work or 1m baht for the elite and still finding your nearest immigration for 90 day reporting anyway.

If you have the Thailand Elite Card they'll come to you to collect your passport and take it to Immigration to do the 90 day reporting and then deliver it back to you as part of their service.

And can't you do the reporting by post anyway?

Yes anyone can do their 90 day report by post.

ameliaL,

I can not add much to the good advice you have already gotten from many decent posters. To sum it up, the best you can do regarding Thailand, is to get a multiple non-O visa in your home country, come here and stay for a year or so, checking the place out. But you need to do the visa runs the first year...

If you like it here, the Elite card may just be for you, since you obviously have plenty of funds, and by spending 1 million Baht on the card, the interest you can gain by NOT "investing" 10 million baht here will quite soon make up for the cost of the card (depending on risk/return/tax/etc., 2-3 years should be enough).

Finally I want to apologise to you for the many negative and bad posters here, it is incredible that grown-ups can be reduced to such low level of communication. And it is not even remotely funny to see how they have to pick on a small and obvious typing error (10,000 million vs 10 million). But let them sit there in their super expensive mansions, I do think they are so bored and lonely, that this forum is their only release of frustrations. Apart form changing their many lightbulbs of course...

And you know who you are guys. Sad really...

Edit: For typos as usual. There will now be cash prices for spotting typos in my posts, just PM me with your findings and bank details.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

oh crap, they erased my email.

On ThaiVisa, you have two ways of receiving a private communication from another member:

1. By PM. The other member clicks on your member name in your post, then on “Send message”

2. By email, if you enable that function in your profile or if you PM your email address to the member whom you wish to be able to contact you by email.

--

Maestro

Gents. Look under the bridge. There may be a dwarfish character lurking underneath collecting tolls to cross in the OP!!!

Yeah, I smelt that.

If you are for real then getting a non-imm 'O' shouldn't be that difficult, although I'd go the Elite route with so much disposable dosh; do you play golf? Although, like someone else mentioned, hang about a bit due to dodgy junta.

Shame they closed off the little investment visa angle when buying a condo for 3 mil. :D

ps - hope the 10 mil didn't come by way of ex hubby. :o

And it is not even remotely funny to see how they have to pick on a small and obvious typing error (10,000 million vs 10 million).

[\quote]

Clearly, my sense of humour and wit is way over your head :o Jai yen yen!!

Simon

amelial

If you really want to live on a Island and pretty much be by yourself you might consider Bocas del Toro in Panama. They definitely make it easyfor you too own land there and the people are quite friendly. The down side is you have to get around by boat as it is nothing but islands. The main island has a few roads and shops and there you would not need a boat. If for some reason Thailand dosen't work out it is worth investigating.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. :o

hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your posts and helpful answers.

i just want to get one thing straight. Currently, if i get the Elite card, then i can go live in some remote village and i can report every 90 days by mail? IS THAT REALLY TRUE?

because if that is the case, i think i would really like that. i think i would employ a person to go to the post office for me every 90 days to send out the letter, and that way i could be left alone to do as i please(hopefully).

Please, someone who has elite card currently, please confirm that that is true. As well, can one report via the internet? is that possible?

lastly, to answer some of your other questions, no i do not play golf, i find it boring, sorry about that. i do play tennis and am an excellent swimmer.

And no, my "dosh" does not come from an ex. i am self made all the way.

please, if anyone who holds elite card can respond to the earlier question above, i would greatly appreciate it.

amelia

If you really want to live on a Island and pretty much be by yourself you might consider Bocas del Toro in Panama. They definitely make it easyfor you too own land there and the people are quite friendly. The down side is you have to get around by boat as it is nothing but islands. The main island has a few roads and shops and there you would not need a boat. If for some reason Thailand dosen't work out it is worth investigating.

To Beentheredonethat,

i wanted to say that panama is on my list to visit. the only thing i dont like so far that i hear is that there is a good amount of crime in panama, alot worse then US is what i hear, house brake ins, ext. being single and alone, i dont want that kind of worry all the time. i wonder, have you lived there by chance? did you feel unsafe?

best regards,

amelia