Kawasaki Ninja 250

Chris78

Here is my Ninjette after I got a fender eliminator and Area-P installed, love the fender eliminator and the exhaust is unbelievable good sound and you can really feel the increased power. I am just a grin all over my face now, the bike is fantastic now...

:o

I'm a sucker for carbon fibre.

Did you find that information about the Dyno?

Hi Dave,

Yes the new AP is brilliant, love carbon cans so it's really nice looking and the sound is beautiful, sweet.

Unfortunately when I call to the dyno station there is disconnected numbers so I gave up on that lead. I am still trying hard to find a station but so far there have been little to no info available. I have not given it up yet, and when I figure it out I will post it.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are really cool bikes, the only part i hate is the tiny tires and brakes! Otherwise very cool.

The tires suck I completely agree there, it's on my list of changes to be done on mine. The brakes, well it's easy to pull a stoppie with the front brakes and you need to be careful with the back brakes to avoid locking up the rear tire. So I guess the look deceives a bit because they are more than powerful enough. I tested my bike for a 220 km run today with the new full exhaust today and it's a very noticeable power increase. Had my wife on the back today for 140 km and it even with her on the back the pull is really good, we were cruising on route 3 in 120 - 140 km/h and there was a lot more in store, after I did a twistie run in the mountains behind Rayong and the way the bike goes now is very good, did a steep curvy hill in 140 in 6th and the bike had more to give didn't need to go for 5th at all (it was me who didn't dear more) tried to pull into full and it moves much faster now, also the torque is noticeable higher, you can sit in 6th from 30 - top and you basically don't gear it, just leave it in 6th and a twist on the throttle and you spin past cars don't need to gear it down anymore for passing. Brilliant... I just love it now :o

These are really cool bikes, the only part i hate is the tiny tires and brakes! Otherwise very cool.

The tires suck I completely agree there, it's on my list of changes to be done on mine. The brakes, well it's easy to pull a stoppie with the front brakes and you need to be careful with the back brakes to avoid locking up the rear tire. So I guess the look deceives a bit because they are more than powerful enough. I tested my bike for a 220 km run today with the new full exhaust today and it's a very noticeable power increase. Had my wife on the back today for 140 km and it even with her on the back the pull is really good, we were cruising on route 3 in 120 - 140 km/h and there was a lot more in store, after I did a twistie run in the mountains behind Rayong and the way the bike goes now is very good, did a steep curvy hill in 140 in 6th and the bike had more to give didn't need to go for 5th at all (it was me who didn't dear more) tried to pull into full and it moves much faster now, also the torque is noticeable higher, you can sit in 6th from 30 - top and you basically don't gear it, just leave it in 6th and a twist on the throttle and you spin past cars don't need to gear it down anymore for passing. Brilliant... I just love it now :o

Very cool. I am a fan of small light bikes.

I HAVENT READ ALL THE POSTS AND IT MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN MENTIONED BUT THIS MONTH THERE IS A PROMOTION AND YOU CAN GET THE 250 FOR 139.900 ! HURRY,.

While your at it get a new exhaust system..only a 28% increase in power hehehe.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip...a-250R-2008.php

Hehe yes and that takes me into more power than a CBR 250 since I had 33 bhp + my 28%, it is really another bike after I changed it, before it zipped into 140 and then slowed down to top speed now it zip into 165 and then slows down so for the money the AP is really it. I am in love with it, the sound is also really cool sounds like a well 2 cylinder racing Japanese 4 stroke to be honest lots of people ask me to rev it just for the sound in redlights now, before it was a bit dull...

I HAVENT READ ALL THE POSTS AND IT MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN MENTIONED BUT THIS MONTH THERE IS A PROMOTION AND YOU CAN GET THE 250 FOR 139.900 ! HURRY,.

Hehe yes and that takes me into more power than a CBR 250 since I had 33 bhp + my 28%, it is really another bike after I changed it, before it zipped into 140 and then slowed down to top speed now it zip into 165 and then slows down so for the money the AP is really it. I am in love with it, the sound is also really cool sounds like a well 2 cylinder racing Japanese 4 stroke to be honest lots of people ask me to rev it just for the sound in redlights now, before it was a bit dull...

Nice.

One of the things i love about my bike is the fact after 12000 RPM the induction is almost louder than the exhaust...ah if it only ran still..

Nice.

One of the things i love about my bike is the fact after 12000 RPM the induction is almost louder than the exhaust...ah if it only ran still..

Yes I know what you mean, I love the sound and I saw your Honda on the pic a beauty sorry for your loss. I love small capable bikes, before I was a total nutcase on big bikes my absolute favorite was my Kawa 750 turbo, only problem with the big ones is they are extremely boring to drive in sensible speeds so the Ninja 250 R is a gem with the AP, you work it and have so much fun in road realistic speed with so much feedback from the bike you just smile all over.

wrathfultalon what cbr did you have and what has happened to it.

and Bard even with the exhaust you are not beating the cbr250 (well according to the dyno your not). but i can understand an improvement because when i changed on my cbr150 it was great. :o

but i would very much like to see you and your bike because i'm seriously thinking about getting one.

how much was the new exhaust, i understand you had to modify slightly what was involved.

thanks

allan

lickey its fuel injected( most cpu's readjust for the small differences) and as long as you keep the original parts if ya have a problem just stick em back on.easy :o also alot of bikes run rich from standard. the cbr150 does. i put a pipe on that and am still getting a nice black/brown exhaust tip.

allan

Yet another American thinking bigger is better....oh wait, I'm American also.

But as Bard pointed out, the brakes on these sub 150 kilo bikes are more than adequate. I used to be able to lock up the front brake on my bike, but haven't changed the fluid since I bought it so now while it's a bit 'mushier' I don't have to worry about an endo. The rear brake still locks up like nobody's business though.

Did you take pictures of the process? I'd be interested in seeing those. It's amazing what a new system does for the sound (and therefore character) of a bike.

Also, the guy who did up the bung for your new exhaust; does he do full ones? And if so, what material does he have available?

and Bard even with the exhaust you are not beating the cbr250 (well according to the dyno your not). but i can understand an improvement because when i changed on my cbr150 it was great. :o

but i would very much like to see you and your bike because i'm seriously thinking about getting one.

how much was the new exhaust, i understand you had to modify slightly what was involved.

thanks

allan

Hi Allan, I don't know if it beats a CBR 250 and I don't want to go into a debate about that, but realistic numbers for the mod is probably around 40 bhp on the engine after the mod and when you look at the stock exhaust you see why; it is very restricted.

The new full exhaust "quiet carbon" cost me including freight and tax in Thailand about 650 US$, and yes you need to modify the new header, all you need to do is to cut off the old nut which holds the Lambda from the old header and drill a hole and weld it on the new header, cost me 150 Baht to get it done by a welding shop in Ban Chang (Rom Charoen).

Unfortunately I will go back offshore to work on Friday and will not be back for a while, but when I do come back I can drive up and visit you. Then you're more than welcome to try it out.

Cheers Bard

lickey its fuel injected( most cpu's readjust for the small differences) and as long as you keep the original parts if ya have a problem just stick em back on.easy :o also alot of bikes run rich from standard. the cbr150 does. i put a pipe on that and am still getting a nice black/brown exhaust tip.

allan

Exactly, the bike has fuel injection so it re-jets itself and I always keep the original parts for well the day I need them for example in a warranty claim.

and Bard even with the exhaust you are not beating the cbr250 (well according to the dyno your not). but i can understand an improvement because when i changed on my cbr150 it was great. :D

thanks

allan

Hi Allan, I don't know if it beats a CBR 250 and I don't want to go into a debate about that, but realistic numbers for the mod is probably around 40 bhp on the engine after the mod and when you look at the stock exhaust you see why; it is very restricted.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse; BUT PICTURES PLEASE. I've seen some multi-cylinder exhaust systems that are horrible--the stock CBR 250's being one of the worst with a flange running down pretty much the whole lenght! I hope you're right about your performance gains; I wonder how much it actually is....

The new full exhaust "quiet carbon" cost me including freight and tax in Thailand about 650 US$, and yes you need to modify the new header, all you need to do is to cut off the old nut which holds the Lambda from the old header and drill a hole and weld it on the new header, cost me 150 Baht to get it done by a welding shop in Ban Chang (Rom Charoen).

Unfortunately I will go back offshore to work on Friday and will not be back for a while, but when I do come back I can drive up and visit you. Then you're more than welcome to try it out.

Cheers Bard

the day I need them for example in a warranty claim.

Those two red statments don't compute! :o

BTW, I've dropped my order for the carbon fibre helmet; if you're still going on the Iron Butt ride I'll be wearing it there. Since it will be minty fresh, you can try it on, assuming you've washed your hair. :D I have an XL head-7 5/8 so if you're about the same size you can get a feel for it.

I remember that you said you used a bluetooth headset with your GPS. Is it one of those spiffy ones with the wee lil speakers over each ear and a boom mike or is it the standard earpiece such as used with moible phones?

Did you take pictures of the process? I'd be interested in seeing those. It's amazing what a new system does for the sound (and therefore character) of a bike.

Also, the guy who did up the bung for your new exhaust; does he do full ones? And if so, what material does he have available?

Sorry Dave I didn't take any pictures, was to involved in the process to think about it. And no the shop is a welding shop which I use regularly so they don't make exhaust but they can weld on them and modify them. They have stainless 304/316/316L/ aluminium and carbon steel in the shop, can also do more exotic but you then need to tell them in advance. The sound is really good now, so yes I do agree it changed the character of the bike big time I love it now, before it was a bit dull and when you look at the stock I am pretty convinced that there is a huge loss in it.

and Bard even with the exhaust you are not beating the cbr250 (well according to the dyno your not). but i can understand an improvement because when i changed on my cbr150 it was great. :D

thanks

allan

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse; BUT PICTURES PLEASE. I've seen some multi-cylinder exhaust systems that are horrible--the stock CBR 250's being one of the worst with a flange running down pretty much the whole lenght! I hope you're right about your performance gains; I wonder how much it actually is....

Cheers Bard

the day I need them for example in a warranty claim.

Those two red statments don't compute! :o

BTW, I've dropped my order for the carbon fibre helmet; if you're still going on the Iron Butt ride I'll be wearing it there. Since it will be minty fresh, you can try it on, assuming you've washed your hair. :D I have an XL head-7 5/8 so if you're about the same size you can get a feel for it.

I remember that you said you used a bluetooth headset with your GPS. Is it one of those spiffy ones with the wee lil speakers over each ear and a boom mike or is it the standard earpiece such as used with moible phones?

I know they don't compute Dave which is why I welded on a new nut on my header, but for simplicity you can cut it off and use it plus re-use it back again as it is very thick metal on it.

Sounds like I will have to wash my hair when you come Dave :D The size should fit my nut as well. The bluetooth I have is a Scala FM Rider which snaps on the helmet and has two earbuds for stereo sound and a boom mic which fits in the helmet works great. If you have an iPod with the RF kit you can tune it on the FM receiver on the headset playing music as well, I bought mine on eBay for 90 $.

I know they don't compute Dave which is why I welded on a new nut on my header, but for simplicity you can cut it off and use it plus re-use it back again as it is very thick metal on it.

Sounds like I will have to wash my hair when you come Dave :D The size should fit my nut as well. The bluetooth I have is a Scala FM Rider which snaps on the helmet and has two earbuds for stereo sound and a boom mic which fits in the helmet works great. If you have an iPod with the RF kit you can tune it on the FM receiver on the headset playing music as well, I bought mine on eBay for 90 $.

Ahh, much more sensible.

As far as the hair thing goes; working in the Gulf I've found it's MUCH easier just to shave it all off. Stays cleaner, I don't spend all the dosh on shampoo and conditioner resulting in much quicker showers with me just lathering down top to bottom and rinsing, and I don't have to worry about styling products either. You may not be able to pull it off, but then again I'm a sexy man! :o

I've got a bluetooth kit for my iPod, plugs right in the bottom and pulls its energy from there. I'm going to take a look at that Scala; wonder if it's any cheaper than what I found on dennis kirk (they had a decently priced tom-tom unit I almost bought, but was uncertain of whether or not it was propietary and would therefore not work with my Garmin).

OK Kawasaki Ninja people i need to know what sort of cruising speeds and top speed you get out of your ninja's.

going tmoro to check them out but as i understand it the test rides are just around the car park which doesnt give you much of a view to the bike.

thanks Allan

Something you Ninja 250 owners may find exciting: A solar powered electric Ninja.

Than again, maybe not.prometheus-solar-motorcycle.jpg

i can never understand these conversions. Its like lets put a 5 hp electric motor on a 200 pound bike...rather than put even more weight on a existing frame with fancy body work meant to hide the original bike, build your own. Make the whole frame and subrame from carbon fiber! and rather than trying to make some super stream liner simply make it light! Its not like people are going to perform trans continental trips on it, it would be used for short daily commutes. Please dont use a frame that is meant for hundreds of pounds of engine and drive gears!

OK Kawasaki Ninja people i need to know what sort of cruising speeds and top speed you get out of your ninja's.

going tmoro to check them out but as i understand it the test rides are just around the car park which doesnt give you much of a view to the bike.

thanks Allan

Hi Allan,

Before I did the AP I was cruising very nice at speeds between 80 - 120 after the AP the cruise is 60 - 140 due to more torque in 6th, the top speed I get now is at the speedometer 180 km/h but you feel you need one more gear, before I had 170, I will probably change the front and rear sprockets at one time to +1 front and - 3 back that according to others give a top at 200 km/h I have not tested this so I cannot verify it until I have done so.

Cheers Bard

thanks Allan

Hi Allan,

Before I did the AP I was cruising very nice at speeds between 80 - 120 after the AP the cruise is 60 - 140 due to more torque in 6th, the top speed I get now is at the speedometer 180 km/h but you feel you need one more gear, before I had 170, I will probably change the front and rear sprockets at one time to +1 front and - 3 back that according to others give a top at 200 km/h I have not tested this so I cannot verify it until I have done so.

Have you compared the speedo drift against your GPS? I know that the CBR is optimistic some 12%! Other than getting taller tyres or attempting to get differnt drive gears for the cable, I have no clue as to how to bring it back in line.

Cheers Bard

Very hard to correct one Dave. Unlike a car or truck there is no "gear". Inside the front hub is a plate (sort of looks like a washer) which trips the cable once every one revolution. Ergo it may be impossible to adjust a fully mechanical speedo. Apart from a taller tire which I would not even consider.

GPS sounds like the ticket.

No I have not come as far as comparing the speedo drift yet, I still have not installed the GPS because my wife has demanded it to stay in the car. From calculating the rpm / gearing / tires, the top speed unless you redline is supposed with stock sprockets and tires to be 168.9812 km/h which gives me a drift from the 180 to about 11 km/h. Hope that made sense... I will probably have to buy a new GPS next time I come home and check it out to be sure. Anyway the 200 km/h was with AP and +1 -3 sprockets and tested with GPS, now I don't know this guys physique nor the truth factor, so I will try it out eventually myself since I am not a small person it could very well be lower.

All I can say from experiencing the Ninja for a while is the top gearing is rather low, you continuously in the beginning try to gear it into next gear and with the AP the added power makes the 6th very low, you don't need to pull out 5th to get up to top speed in good time at all. So I think that a sprocket change makes perfect sense on the bike, from what I read a +1 front is preferred on stock engine (7% change) and added -3 back with exhaust tuning.

OK I have found a good site to check out the possible speeds.

In Stock at 13k rpm (Km/h) (The Ninja does 14K but that is redlining)

1st 58

2nd 85

3rd 108

4th 131

5th 152

6th 170

With a 150/70/17 back tire and stock sprocket kit

1st 61

2nd 89

3rd 113

4th 137

5th 159

6th 178

The 150 back with a 15 front sprocket top speed in 6th @ 13k is 190 km/h

The 150 back with a 15 front and 42 back sprocket in 6th @ 13k is 204 km/h @ 12k 188 km/h @ 11k 172 km/h @ 10k 157 km/h (and say 7k 110 km/h and 6k 94 km/h which is very lax cruise revs)

You can play around with all these numbers here http://www.gearingcommander.com/ if you load stock setup the rev is 12300 so you need to play around with it.