New Smart Card Driving Licenses

Rinrada

Snippit i noticed in our friendly CMM....obv questions...wots the score ...anyone got one.....

Land Transport Office issues ‘smart card’ drivers licenses

Staff reporters (with thanks CMM)

The Chiang Mai Land Transports Office issued Drivers License Smart Cards to drivers, so they could further use them in neighboring pact countries

The Chiang Mai Land Transports Office held an activity to honor His Majesty the King’s 80th Birthday by modifying drivers’ licenses to have Smart Cards made from plastic with magnetic strips. This is being done so that it will be more difficult to have counterfeit data, to increase the card life-span, and they will be beautiful with the graphic design symbol of each province.

Chiang Mai province lisences will have a Borsang umbrella, a Panda, and Huay Namdang National Park. :o

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai were the first provinces in the North apart from Bangkok to do this. Mr. Chanchai Keelapaeng, Chief of the Chiang Mai Land Transports Office, said that the Smart Card drivers’ licenses could be used in neighboring conventions between countries because they have both Thai and English writing.

On the first opening day of service more than 500 people applied for the Smart Cards.

Interested people can apply with an ID Card, a Medical Certificate, house registration, and the 200 Baht fee. It’s free, considering that the entire public doesn’t come all at the same time.

However, it can be used for private vehicles only. Trucks and larger vehicles must still use their specific licenses. :D

I'm going in a week to get my licenses (motorcycle and auto) renewed; the 5 year.

Will report back if I get the new Smart Card version.

McG

Good One......and sounds positive....

also ref :

so they could further use them in neighboring pact countries

...Burma -Laos -Kamputchea -Malaysia-Singa.........China ? :o

so they could further use them in neighboring pact countries

...Burma -Laos -Kamputchea -Malaysia-Singa.........China ? :o

I don't know about China, but I have driven my vehicle into most other neighbouring countries, and never had a problem with my current "paper" Thai licence. I use my Thai licence overseas with an English translation that is issued by the D of L&T. If the new one is also in English, in keeping with the English on Thai ID cards, it will negate the application for a translation. Unfortunately I have about three years to run on my current one. However, next time I'm passing, I will see if it can be changed over.

Here's the update I promised on the new Thai Drivers Licence that is recognized by all the ASEAN countries (ie Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Burma, Malaysia and Singapore).

I was due to renew both my motorcycle and auto licences on 3 January. I had the 1 year provisional; applying for the 5 year version.

Today I went with all the required documents (expiring licences, copies of passport main page, current visa page, a Certificate of Residency and a medical certificate). The new fees for this licence are 505 B (+100 B card fee) auto, 255 B (+100 B card fee) motorcycle: total 960 B for the 2 licences.

Arrived a little after 9 AM, presented my docs, got a number and waited to be called. About 1/2 hour later was called to cashier window where I paid the fee, then sent behind the counter where there are several desks set up with digital cameras. Took the photos (they take 2 or more and actually let you pick the best one! :o ), then walk over to the desk where the hi-tech machine spits out the new licence(s). The staff carefully checks for errors, and you are then out the door. No customer-provided photos, no laminating, etc.

I was done in a little more than an hour total.

McG

I don't know. I just mentioned the countries that the staff at Land Transportation told me it was valid in. Not sure about Indonesia, PI, etc.

Also I neglected to find out if one can obtain the old paper license still, if one chooses. I have a feeling all the licenses issued now are the new plastic (magnetic strip) ones....

Today I went with all the required documents (expiring licences, copies of passport main page, current visa page, a Certificate of Residency and a medical certificate).

Can you obtain the license with a tourist visa? And do you really need two licenses for auto and moto, not one where both are included?

Today I went with all the required documents (expiring licences, copies of passport main page, current visa page, a Certificate of Residency and a medical certificate).

Can you obtain the license with a tourist visa? And do you really need two licenses for auto and moto, not one where both are included?

The official word is that a Thai drivers license will only be issued to foreigners who are resident, and have a 1 year visa.

The Dept. of Land Transportation wants all those copies of the visas, the Certificate of Residency, for a reason, I would imagine. :D

However, TIT (this is Thailand), so who knows?

And yes, a separate license for each category of vehicle. The moto says "Private Motorcycle" on the back- presumably to differentiate from a license for "Public Motorcycle", ie motorcycle taxi for hire, etc.

PS The 5 year expires on your birthday. As my 1 year expired in Jan, and my birthday is in Oct, my new licenses are good for 5 years, and 10 months.... :o

If you time it right with the 1 year, you can receive just short of 6 years validity.

The official word is that a Thai drivers license will only be issued to foreigners who are resident, and have a 1 year visa.

The Dept. of Land Transportation wants all those copies of the visas, the Certificate of Residency, for a reason, I would imagine. :D

And yes, a separate license for each category of vehicle. The moto says "Private Motorcycle" on the back- presumably to differentiate from a license for "Public Motorcycle", ie motorcycle taxi for hire, etc.

PS The 5 year expires on your birthday. As my 1 year expired in Jan, and my birthday is in Oct, my new licenses are good for 5 years, and 10 months.... :o

If you time it right with the 1 year, you can receive just short of 6 years validity.

Has anyone heard whether or not a Life Time license will be replaced with a smart Life Time license?

My 1 year drivers licences ( car & bike) expire on Sat. 19th January

I believe that the Dept does not open on Saturdays.

Can someone kindly confirm that for me ?

If that's the case, and not wanting to present myself earlier for renewals since (I understand ) I will then only receive further ONE year licences, does anyone know whether, in presenting myself for 5 year renewals on Monday 21st January ( 2 days expired )I am likely to have to re-sit all the tests again and then be issued with fresh 1 year licences again ??????

Silly question, but serious answer please.

Thank you.

Cheers

Swazi, you'll be fine. You have up to a YEAR after the expiry date, before you have to sit the tests again, do all the eye, reaction tests, etc.

I went in on the day the licenses were expiring, but it was explained to me by the staff there a year ago when I got my 1 year, that I would have up to a year to renew after expiry.

As mentioned above, all that is needed are the passport copies (front page, current visa/extension page), a Certificate of Residency, a medical certificate, and copies of both of those as well. Of course bring the expiring licenses, and the fee (605 auto, 355 moto).

You should be good to go on 21 January.

PS The office opens at 8:30 AM.

Swazi, you'll be fine. You have up to a YEAR after the expiry date, before you have to sit the tests again, do all the eye, reaction tests, etc.

I went in on the day the licenses were expiring, but it was explained to me by the staff there a year ago when I got my 1 year, that I would have up to a year to renew after expiry.

As mentioned above, all that is needed are the passport copies (front page, current visa/extension page), a Certificate of Residency, a medical certificate, and copies of both of those as well. Of course bring the expiring licenses, and the fee (605 auto, 355 moto).

Thank you very much McG,

As always, most helpful and a mine of information.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

BTW I am on a multi-entry O type visa and am half way through a 12 month residential lease in a condo. complex.

Where do I get a Certificate of Residency ?

The letters given to me by well-wishers when I applied for my last licences, gave me and the staff at that Department a lot of aggravation, before they finally accepted them in lieu of a certificate of residency.

Will appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

Edited by SwaziBird

Thank you very much McG,

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

BTW I am on a multi-entry O type visa and am half way through a 12 month residential lease in a condo. complex.

The letters given to me by well-wishers when I applied for my last licences, gave me and the staff at that Department a lot of aggravation, before they finally accepted them in lieu of a certificate of residency.

Thank you.

My experience was to take passport papers w/visa and go to the small building across the parking lot from the main immigration office (same building where you validate your address every 90 days). They gave me the authorization letters for buying a car and being registered in the tabien ban. I assume the first letter could also be used for getting a driver's license, but best to ask, of course. You do need the photos you can get on site. With photos and passport/visa, it took me 15 to 30 minutes.

Thank you very much McG,

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thank you.

My experience was to take passport papers w/visa and go to the small building across the parking lot from the main immigration office (same building where you validate your address every 90 days). They gave me the authorization letters for buying a car and being registered in the tabien ban. I assume the first letter could also be used for getting a driver's license, but best to ask, of course. You do need the photos you can get on site. With photos and passport/visa, it took me 15 to 30 minutes.

Thank you very much for the advice/s.

Appreciated.

Cheers