Personal Safety In Chiang Mai

thedoctor

Going to visit Chiang Mai for the first time in May. I have been doing all the usual research on things to do and have noticed that there is the old part of the city mentioned. But how safe is it wandering off the usual tourist type areas. I like to go for a bit of a walk first thing in the morning before the heat kicks in. Is this advisable? Any advice on places to explore on foot. I'll be staying fairly central at the Royal Princess.

thedoctors/wife

Never had a problem - Chiang Mai is very safe on world standards.

Early in the morning the temples are beautiful - and the City has many of them.

Enjoy your stay.

Regards

exactly! If you are up early enough, between 5 am and 7 am you'l probably see the Monks going about on their early morning Binderbaht rounds. If I may suggest, try finding a local market and watch the people doing their morning food shopping.

Never had a problem - Chiang Mai is very safe on world standards.

Early in the morning the temples are beautiful - and the City has many of them.

Enjoy your stay.

Regards

exactly! If you are up early enough, between 5 am and 7 am you'l probably see the Monks going about on their early morning Binderbaht rounds. If I may suggest, try finding a local market and watch the people doing their morning food shopping.

Take your camera. When you find that market, find a coffee push cart or stall, and sit a while. Drink some coffee (or Ovaltine) and take lots of pictures, almost randomly. You will have a good time and end up with a great number of good shots and probably some great shots. It may be one of your best memories from Chiangmai.

Going to visit Chiang Mai for the first time in May. I have been doing all the usual research on things to do and have noticed that there is the old part of the city mentioned. But how safe is it wandering off the usual tourist type areas. I like to go for a bit of a walk first thing in the morning before the heat kicks in. Is this advisable? Any advice on places to explore on foot. I'll be staying fairly central at the Royal Princess.

thedoctors/wife

If by 'first thing in the morning' you mean starting at dawn, no problem. I'm not sure how safe it is in the last hour of night. Sunrise should be shortly before 6 am. The average morning low temp in May is 24 degrees C.

thedoctors/wife

Thailand in general and Chiangmai in particular has very low levels of street crime.

The crime most likely to affect visitors, the police admit, is theft of shoulder bags from women, usually at night in the poorly lit lanes near smart hotels. Usually by 2 teenagers on a motorcyle coming up from behind.

If you keep cash and cards in an inside pocket and carry NO bag at all, there should be absolutely no problem. And no-one should wear those ridiculous little pouches on their stomachs. It's like saying "LOOK! THE CASH IS HERE!!"

Thai law says that we foreigners should carry our passports at all times, but I only bother when I am travelling far from the city. Otherwise, yours will be safe in the hotel safe, especially one like the Royal Princess.

Try to walk on the side facing oncoming traffic and look 5 ways before crossing a one-way street. Then all will be well!

Thailand in general and Chiangmai in particular has very low levels of street crime.

The crime most likely to affect visitors, the police admit, is theft of shoulder bags from women, usually at night in the poorly lit lanes near smart hotels. Usually by 2 teenagers on a motorcyle coming up from behind.

If you keep cash and cards in an inside pocket and carry NO bag at all, there should be absolutely no problem. And no-one should wear those ridiculous little pouches on their stomachs. It's like saying "LOOK! THE CASH IS HERE!!"

Thai law says that we foreigners should carry our passports at all times, but I only bother when I am travelling far from the city. Otherwise, yours will be safe in the hotel safe, especially one like the Royal Princess.

Try to walk on the side facing oncoming traffic and look 5 ways before crossing a one-way street. Then all will be well!

I'd agree that the level of street crime to which a tourist will be subjected is extremely low, other than snatch-and-grabs of shoulder bags late at night. Late at night means after 10pm in the smaller side sois, and after 2am on the bigger streets.

As for waist bags.... well, I think they are great for what should be carried in them. This does NOT include money, passports, or credit cards. Those should be inside a zippered pocket inside your clothes. NOT under your T-shirt in a waist money belt either! Waist packs are great for tissues, (you've got to have your own in most toilets,) coins, maps, mosquito repellent, guide books, a yo-yo, etc. :o

As for breaking the law and not having your passport with you, all it takes is one cop to request seeing it and your vacation is ruined... Why not just take the time to make a photocopy, sign and date it, and carry that. I've never had a policeman require anything more. Copy the front page AND your valid entry stamp, and you will never have a problem on the street. This does NOT work at Immigration or the Motor Vehicles office. It does work if you want to rent a motorbike or car. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you give anyone your passport when you rent a vehicle!!! They will all ask for it. If they won't take your copy, find another rentor. They are all over the place and the prices are about the same depending upon the model desired!

If you'd like a bit more comfort regarding your safety, purchase a referee's whistle in a sports shop and wear on a lanyard around your neck. (DO NOT CARRY INSIDE YOUR POCKET OR BAG!!!!) These things can wake the dead, and if you blow the 1812 Overture on one, (instead of one loooooong blast) no thief is going to stand around to wait for the cannons. But it has to be right at hand. If you have to fish for it, it's not going to work for you. :D

Enjoy a safe vacation in Chiang Mai. As long as you follow the same safety rules you practice in your home town, you won't have a problem here. Chiang Mai is probably one of the safer cities in SE Asia that you can visit! Just don't get stupid and think just because everyone is smiling that they are your friends.

Folk has some great suggestions. As a man I feel quite safe, but I recommend to the females that I know to dress polite (no short shorts and low cut shirts) Unless they are going to a club and have a ride to and from their place.

I have never had a problem with a Thai person in the 2+ years (short period compared to many here) but I have seen quite a few Farang get in a row. No need to be a hero here, or defend honor or face.

All in All, commonsense will keep you out of trouble and you will have a great time in CM.

Enjoy a safe vacation in Chiang Mai. As long as you follow the same safety rules you practice in your home town, you won't have a problem here. Chiang Mai is probably one of the safer cities in SE Asia that you can visit! Just don't get stupid and think just because everyone is smiling that they are your friends.

GREAT advice FolkGuitar! :o

The last hour of darkness near Thapae Gate is probably safe, but also very strange.

There is one amazingly unattractive lady-boy with a really deep voice who bellows out, "HOW 'BOUT ME"? every time anyone gets near him. What a freak show! :o

I have noticed there are so many wondering the streets nowadays,

or better said wanting a customer or something .

Think CM is still safe but has changed much the last couple of years ,

but not much worries about safety for the OP , just some more annoyances .

For 10 days I wandered like a star-struck tourist all over Chiang Mai from 5am to 10pm. Only one problem--a pack of soi dogs. Since then, I've learned how to be a pretty good shot with a stone about the size and weight of an egg. And the dogs know what it means when they see you go through the motion of picking up a stone off the street....by the time you stand up straight to take aim, usually they're gone! :o

Excuse me, but, there have always been plenty of these he/she specimins around Chiang Mai in the evening and early morning hours. Nothing new there and nothing to fear except fear itself. :D

I know but I noticed that there now many many more then before .....

Must say that I did not wonder the streets on my motorbike for the last six

years( in CM city ) until my wife opened her new business this year ......

Eight years ago theor were less of them , also noticed more street prostitutes

or maybe my eyes were in my pocket those days .....good chance by the way :o

Going down the street the night bazaar is on at 4am looks like something out of the new movie with Will Smith called "I am legend" deserted street with rubble left from the vender's stalls. Very surreal! And very safe....

A lot of prostitutes used to congregate in Thapae Square, but it is now covered with government TV cameras. They tend to hang around just across the street from the park where the cameras can't see them. :D

Ahhh yesss , so same same but slightly different , same girls but little older ...

By the way that freak show you talked about is that the one who operated

his / her / whatever face which looks like Michael Jackson only worse ? :o

When I'm in Chiang Mai I often will get in an hour's worth of Tai Chi exercise with the old locals from 6-7 AM. It's fun and easy to do, and they don't mind having an outsider join in. You can find them at Thapae Gate, the Three Kings Monument, and at the Sanam Gila sports college to name three places; there no doubt are a few others around town.

A lot of prostitutes used to congregate in Thapae Square, but it is now covered with government TV cameras. They tend to hang around just across the street from the park where the cameras can't see them. :D

Ahhh yesss , so same same but slightly different , same girls but little older ...

By the way that freak show you talked about is that the one who operated

his / her / whatever face which looks like Michael Jackson only worse ? :o

I'm not sure that I noticed the resemblence to Wacko Jacko, but he/she is most unattractive to be sure! :D

Spent September and October in chiang mai walked everywhere day/night had no problems and felt safe. The only danger is crossing roads, like the rest of Thailand it is or I should say a little bit dangerous

:o

I think that the crossing of roads is a danger, but one you are looking for. The bigger danger and one your not watching out for as much are the sidewalks. Watch where your stepping, as large crevasses can trip you up. Particularily if your wandering around with a few beer Chang in your system :D