How To Get An Idp (iternation Driving Permit) In Thailand?

stevehaigh

hi all,

my US driving license expired already, i have a thai 5 year license now. i'm visiting the US soon and would like to get an IDP in thailand. i read it was possible but i can't find the thread now. does anyone know how and where to get an IDP in thailand (surat thani ideally but BKK ok)

thanks, steve

hi all,

my US driving license expired already, i have a thai 5 year license now. i'm visiting the US soon and would like to get an IDP in thailand. i read it was possible but i can't find the thread now. does anyone know how and where to get an IDP in thailand (surat thani ideally but BKK ok)

thanks, steve

Royal Thai Automobile Club

i just found this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t59405.html

The Department is located at 1032 Phaholyothin Road, just about 100 metres from the Morchit Sky Train Station and about the same distance from the Chatuchak Park MRT. It's directly across the road from Chatuchak market. From Morchit Bus Terminal it is either a taxi ride or a walk across Chatuchak Park.

The Department consists of a large compound with several major buildings - the trick is to find the right one, which is Building 4. This seems to be the one furthest from the main gate but the whole site is a bit confusing and I tried a couple of buildings before finding the right one.

Once inside, go up to the second level and into the main hall. Directly across from the entrance you will see some desks that will have queues in front of them. Join one of the queues and present your documents to the official. If the docs are in order you will be given a numbered ticket - wait until your number appears on the display. Then present your documents at the window, pay the fee and wait to be called back to collect your licence. There are no forms to fill out and the whole process, for me, only took about 30 minutes - once I found the right building.

You will need:

Your Thai Driving Licence - must be a pink one, not a green one, which means that you will have held it for at least one year and then renewed it.

A photocopy of the licence - front and back sides - signed by you.

Your passport, with non-immigrant visa, and current TM6 card.

A copy of the passport - all relevant pages - signed by you.

An original document certifying your place of residence in Thailand - available from your local Immigration Office.

505 Baht.

I was asked if I had a Work Permit - I don't as I am retired - but it didn't seem to matter that I didn't have one.

The validity of the IDP is 1 year, from the issue date and, as has been pointed out previously, the document is only valid when accompanied by your normal Thai licence

don't know if it's still valid. i also saw a post that said i can get one from the same place i got my thai license, so i'll try there first.

thx steve

My US license expired a few years ago and my wife and I got IDP in Bangkok based on our Thai licenses. It was all rather easy at the Thai offices due to my wife's uncanny ablility to sort out Thai beaurocracy. Sorry I can't provide contact info for the offices or locations; just wanted to say it can be done! The IDP was only good for one year and I promptly renewed by license in California and keep it up to date now. Lesson learned.

I obtained an IDP in Chiang Mai. However I was told it would only take 1 day if I did it in Bangkok. 3 weeks if processed in CM as they sent everythig to BKK.

An IDP from a foreign country is legal in the USA if you are not living there and do not have a license issued anywhere in the USA.

I also obtained a translation of my Thai license which is just in a letter form issued at the Land Transport Office.

When I rented a car in the USA the clerk really wasn't all that interested in the IDP but was content with the translation as she just needed to fill in the blanks on her computer for the rental contract.

• 2 weeks later...