Two Tourists In Pai Shot By A Police Officer

invalidusername

That's why the tourist authority named it Amazing Thailand. No matter how long you stay here you can still be amazed by new aspects of the country. Kalasin's finest seem to have redefined the terms of reference for police brutality. The story of Kietisak Thitboonkrong is truly nausiating. I can't remember any of these Kalasin stories being reported in the media. Perhaps we will be reliably informed by a tourist authority that Pai police are certified free from any such tendencies, just as is it apparently laughable to suggest that Pai residents might be too afraid to testify against the police in a murder case. LOL.

Edited by Arkady

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's hope the transfer of the head of the DSI won't affect this case. He was a former chief justice of the Appeals Court, who was brought in by the military junta, and has been replaced by a former Crime Suppression Division police officer who is said to be more sympathetic towards Thaksin whose role in the SC Assets case is being investigated by the DSI. The appointment increases the dominance of former policemen in the DSI.

That's why the tourist authority named it Amazing Thailand. No matter how long you stay here you can still be amazed by new aspects of the country. Kalasin's finest seem to have redefined the terms of reference for police brutality. The story of Kietisak Thitboonkrong is truly nausiating. I can't remember any of these Kalasin stories being reported in the media. Perhaps we will be reliably informed by a tourist authority that Pai police are certified free from any such tendencies, just as is it apparently laughable to suggest that Pai residents might be too afraid to testify against the police in a murder case. LOL.

The Kalasin story was serialised in detail in the Bangkok Post. In fact the Chiang Mai City Life looks to have used that published story. I'll try to find a link. I'm sure it was in the Sunday Perspective section.

I couldn't find the story in the Post website. Perhaps it is not online. It was a long time ago, perhaps 2006. There are a lot of details on the numerous extra-judicial killings in Kalasin at the Midnight University website but we're not allowed to post links to other forums.

At the risk of being off-topic, this is a draft letter proposed in 2007 re Kalasin District Police in part kicked off by AHRC receiving a letter dated 11 May 2007 from the then provincial police commander of Kalasin, Pol. Maj. Gen. Phisanha Arweekorn Wornthepnitinant, informing that the police had investigated the allegations about police involvement in Kietisak’s death and did not find any evidence to support the claims and had closed the matter. However, they did not give any details about how the investigation was conducted and how they came to such a conclusion.

Regards

Dear ________,

THAILAND: Investigate killings allegedly connected to Kalasin District Police

Name of victims:

1. Mr. Prasert Krungsriwattana, shot dead on 31 December 2003

2. Mr. Jatuphon Nainayacheurg, shot dead on7 January 2004 in front of Anukulnaree school

3. Mr. Thongchan Paraphee, hanged; body was found on 10 January 2004 in a farm hut at Baan Ta Ha, Loop sub-district

4. Mr. Suphan Ploywilert, shot dead on 16 January 2004 in Soi Kompholpatana, Muang District

5. Mr. Charnchai Korharn, shot dead on 16 January 2004

6. Mr. Paeng Saengsawant, shot dead on 21 January 2004 on 74 Moo 7, Baan Jote, Rupor sub-district, Muang District

7. Mr. Pitoon Raikiet, shot dead on 21 January 2004, shot dead on 95 Moo 12, Baan Kud-or, Muang District

8. Ms. Namphon Dolrasamee, shot dead on 11 February 2004 in Muang District

9. Mr. Songkran Dejtharapath, shot dead on 7 April 2004

10. Mr. Dath Macha Pathan, shot dead on 5 May 2004

11. Mr. Somsin Worawattanawong, shot dead on 14 August 2005 in a bus stop in front of a national politician’s house

12. Mr. Praiwan Phukhat, shot dead on 23 August 2005 near Rimpao Dam

13. Mr. Sakorn Saravithi, shot dead on 23 August 2005 near Rimpao Dam

14. Mr. Winai, shot dead on 1 October 2005 near Rimpao Dam

15. Mr. Preecha Khampratuang shot dead on 31 October 2005

16. Mr. Chaiwut Laocharoen, shot dead in front of Rimpao hotel

17. Mr. Pui, hanged in a bus stop on Mor Dindaeng Road

18. Mr. Udom Nawai, shot dead

Alleged perpetrators: Personnel of the Kalasin District Police Station

I am writing to express my concern about the above killings that happened in Kalasin province in 2004 and 2005. The families of victims and other persons familiar with the cases have alleged that the personnel of the Kalasin District Police Station may have been the perpetrators; however, there have been no effective investigations to reveal the truth, despite the amount of time that has lapsed between the incidents and today.

Most of the victims were young people who had been accused of dealing in drugs and committing other relatively small crimes. Some of them had been detained by the Kalasin District Police before their death or disappearance. Autopsies have shown that some of the victims were tortured or seriously injured before death. The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) under the Ministry of Justice has also reportedly identified a pattern among the killings, such as in the manner of killing and covering up the crime.

I have learned that after the military coup against the former government of Thailand in September 2006, around eight victims' families lodged complaints to the Ministry of Justice but have so far not obtained any response to their requests for justice. The Department of Special Investigation is reported to be conducting inquiries but so far no police officers are known to have had any action taken against them and some of the accused have been promoted. The acting police commissioner, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Themiyavet, has ordered the Kalasin District Police to conducted serious investigations into the killings, but I know of no progress nor should it be expected, as the officers alleged to have committed these gross crimes and their peers cannot also be expected to investigate them properly. Indeed I am aware that internal investigations have already exonerated all of the accused.

I therefore wish to inquire into the current status of investigations into the deaths of all of the above persons, as well as those of Kietisak Thitboonkrong, Pravit Sattawuth, Oynapa Sukprasong and Wanthana Thakpama, as well as the disappearance of 15-year-old Krischadol Pancha, all in the same province.

I know that police officers in Thailand have long enjoyed absolute impunity for want of any independent body to receive complaints, investigate and commence prosecutions against police. Therefore, I urge the Thailand government to set up an independent investigation body to handle complaints against the police as suggested by the UN Human Rights Committee in 2005, so that claims of adherence to international human rights standards may be made a reality. This more than anything else will effect meaningful and lasting change to the policing system in Thailand.

I look forward to you intervention on these cases.

Sincerely,

----------------------

Addressees suggested, by position were/are

1. Minister of Justice
  2. Prime Minister
  3. Minister of Interior
  4. Governor of Kalasin
  5. Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police
  6. Commissioner Provincial Police Region 4
  7. Commander Kalasin Provincial Police
  8. Attorney General
  9. Chairperson National Human Rights Commission of Thailand
  10. Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary, or Arbitrary Executions {Switzerland}

I have not seen any further information about the autopsy conducted in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on John Leo Del Pinto. There should be a final report by now. Perhaps Leo's family could obtain a copy and post portions of it (or the entire report) here on Thai Visa.

Is it not amazing how quiet people become with this sort of information

The silence is deafening :o:D

Well sabaijai, would you like alternative view points or not?

Moss

I wasn't referring to an alternative viewpoint, rather a list of unrelated deaths in Kalasin. A poster commented on how no one had responded to the post, and I merely suggested a reason why.

Another mod warned the member to stay on topic. So I think we can safely say it was not an 'alternative viewpoint', but rather irrelevant information (ie, for most members following this thread).

^ Sorry to disappoint you, but no one has ever warned me of anything!

However, since it seems to be popular for some to cast aspersions about the victims, there are those who feel that a discussion of the institutional mindset of the police {as shown, for example, by the Kalasin issues, or for that matter the border teams} might well be worthy of inclusion in this thread.

By the by when one considers the similarities between the disappearance of Lawyer Somchai and the police assassination of Haji Sulong Tokmina, in 1952, {it was decades before his death was properly acknowledged} one might be tempted to say that the constabulary have a long ways to go before they could be considered a civil service.

Their history is one which has relevance on how the officers of today see and comport themselves.

Regards

School rejects with careers as extortionists, thieves, kidnappers, torturers, murderers, and once done, falsifiers and liars.

It's no wonder the uniforms are brown.

No shame, no pride, to self-serve and collect.

Edited by Tony Clifton

^ Sorry to disappoint you, but no one has ever warned me of anything!

However, since it seems to be popular for some to cast aspersions about the victims, there are those who feel that a discussion of the institutional mindset of the police {as shown, for example, by the Kalasin issues, or for that matter the border teams} might well be worthy of inclusion in this thread.

By the by when one considers the similarities between the disappearance of Lawyer Somchai and the police assassination of Haji Sulong Tokmina, in 1952, {it was decades before his death was properly acknowledged} one might be tempted to say that the constabulary have a long ways to go before they could be considered a civil service.

Their history is one which has relevance on how the officers of today see and comport themselves.

Regards

:o Actually your member 33,892

Another mod warned the member to stay on topic. So I think we can safely say it was not an 'alternative viewpoint', but rather irrelevant information (ie, for most members following this thread).

Interesting the assumption you make that a fellow mod's interpretation of a contribution can be " safely " relied upon as speaking for most members.

How could they possibly argue otherwise?

Indeed, the silence would be deafening.

Anyone have any reliable new info or have the major players all been dispatched ?

seonai Posted Today, 2008-03-01 02:39:58

Goog God I am shocked. And absolutely stunned at such an informative piece being in a Thai publication!!! Well done John Thaw...

Speechless

To be fair to the Thai English-language press, all the stories in this Chiang Mai City News piece have been printed in the Bangkok Post at one time or another either in the News section or the Perspective or Outlook sections.

What the piece does is demonstrate a pattern of behaviour to show the reader the culture of impunity that the police here enjoy. So it's not surprising to find these pieces as they have been written regularly in many publications.

What is surprising is when a Thai publication undertakes investigative journalism of police misbehaviour and publishes the results of the investigation without waiting for an official police statement. These stories are rare indeed. This is not the case here as these stories are all the subject of ongoing or concluded investigations.

Absolutely true, but they are printed and forgotten about, and no-one follows them to their proper conclusion. Of course if you do you'll always get the conspicary theorists in the tourism business.

AND...notice how these types of intersting reports are always printed in the English language press? That said, it is very rare for the type of follow-up story like the one above to ever get published - anywhere - which is one of the reasons why the police get away with it. No one but the families involved will ever phone more than one or twice to find out what's going on in an investigation.

Just look at today's (Sunday's Perspective in the Post) - notice how there is no reporter's byline (no name of the reporter)? I've noticed this in other stories too where the tone is negative toweard powerful people or institutions - that's speaks volumes to me about 'why' there isn't more critical reporting or follow-ups about police investigations.

But it's not just the police that are to blame - the prosecution and the courts have to answer for this third-world judicial process too. Ironically, the media never ask them much either, not to mention that it's illegal to question the judgements of a court. If a few baht will buy you out of trouble (a Thai or foreigner) how easy would it be for a 'brother' cop to escape justice? And now Chalerm is the Interior Minister and his notorious son gets a post as a senior civil servant..

Anyone want to predict things will get better soon?

Edited by thaigene2

No that wasn't a warning, as per the forum rules, which was your implication, as you well know. It was a suggestion that such information might well be worthy of a new thread, and a request that this thread concentrate upon the matter in hand. As I noted, and since the post remains extant, I believe that I'm not alone in this, that background information pertaining to the institutional mindset, as well as individuals has a place in this discussion.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

No that wasn't a warning, as per the forum rules, which was your implication, as you well know. It was a suggestion that such information might well be worthy of a new thread, and a request that this thread concentrate upon the matter in hand. As I noted, and since the post remains extant, I believe that I'm not alone in this, that background information pertaining to the institutional mindset, as well as individuals has a place in this discussion.

Regards

OK not a warning 'per forum rules', but that was not my implication. In general terms it's a warning, sorry if you misunderstood.

Still the Kalasin list was not relevant to Pai, IMO. I don't mod this thread, so that's just my opinion.

Thanks for that, I'm sure you understand that given your 'red text' position herein, mis-construction is always a risk for those who might be visiting. On that point I must, to be fair, note you have abrogated that position within this thread, a decision which I respect.

Regards

PS See you added a reminder about the mod position yourself as I was typing the above, I was slow since I had to answer the phone.

Edited by A_Traveller

OK, I am planning on heading for Pai (with kids) during Songkran. Is it safe?

As safe as anywhere else in Thailand. I'm in Pai now, it's business as usual, plenty of tourists, both Thai and foreign, in town.

Thanks for the quick response. It is what I would have thought, but it never hurts to be sure.

Regards

OK not a warning 'per forum rules', but that was not my implication. In general terms it's a warning, sorry if you misunderstood.

Still the Kalasin list was not relevant to Pai, IMO. I don't mod this thread, so that's just my opinion.

Lets just say that it was an official suggestion? If you have questions about my modding please feel free to direct them to me by PM rather than debating it with someone else in the open forum.

So, back to the topic at hand, does anyone know of the latest developments in this case? Is Carly still in Thailand? What happened to the policeman? Any trial date set?

Back to topic. All has gone suspiciously quiet. Meanwhile the DSI has been purged by the new administration and ex-policemen are now back at the helm there. The government has not to my knowledge confirmed that the DSI can take over the investigation from the Pai police. Any one got any news?