Firefox Question: How To Change Default

RDN

As the title: I like "tabs" and always want to open a new link in a new tab, but now in order to achieve this I must right click on the link and select the "Open Link in new Tab" option from the list.

Anyone know how I can make this the default action?

Cheers

RDN

Tools/Advanced/Browsing/Select New Tabs Opened From Links

Ouch! No need to shout! :o

Well, I was going to say "thank you very much" (even though I am now deaf), but my option there was already set up as you suggested.

So. there must be something wrong with my setup somewhere.... :D

OK, thank you very much, anyway. Any more help would be appreciated! :D

hi'

running firefox with Linux, I have the same problem, tabs under the right click menu, like netscape,

option ... on!

anyway it was the way I used to browse with netscape before ... no change :o

did you try Maxthon web-browser, it does the trick with windows, but the tab has to be clicked on,

they will correct the bug soon :D

cheers

francois

The Thaivisa buttons don't work properly with Firefox; the formatting boxes always appear after the last character one has written, not where the cursor is. Anyone know how to solve this (IN Firefox)?

Yes - I have those problems too - annoying aren't they? But I've got used to:

a. clicking a smilie and then cutting and pasting it back to where I want it

b. typing manually [ b ] [ i ] ..... [ / b ] [ / i ]

Must be a problem with Firefox, I think.

In fact, I think I'll post these problems on a Firefox forum, and report back!

The format problems happen with other forums and l've gotten used to working around them as well. The best place for answers to Firefox questions is forums.mozillazine.org

One extension which will make posting to forums such as this easier is BBCode

RDN, do you by chance use an extension called tab browser extensions? If you do then that could be the cause of your linking problem. If not then it could also be the answer. :o

I could never get tabs to work consistently but if I gave it a (Ctrl)T they seemed to work 'somewhat ok' until next time but I would still end up with multiple browser openings after awhile.

There are just too many sites I use that can not be viewed so have returned to IE myself.

The format problems happen with other forums and l've gotten used to working around them as well. The best place for answers to Firefox questions is forums.mozillazine.org

One extension which will make posting to forums such as this easier is BBCode

To get "links to open in new tabs", I followed the instructions for debugging as Firefox suggest on their web site: http://texturizer.net/firefox/bugs.html . This is what I had to do: I downloaded the latest 'nightly build' of firefox and installed it into a new folder (in program files). Ran it using 'Start, Run, firefox -p' and created a new profile. Selected that new profile and ran firefox. After all that I still could not get links to open in new tabs!

However, I'm pleased to report that the forums provided the answer: use the middle button of the mouse (the button that clicks when you press the wheel). It now works perfectly for me :D . (Amazing isn't it, that of all the things I tried, I never once clicked that da.mn middle button! :o:D)

RDN, do you by chance use an extension called tab browser extensions? If you do then that could be the cause of your linking problem. If not then it could also be the answer. :D

@ Highwayman: when I ran the latest build of firefox with the new profile, none of my extensions were present and neither were my beautifully structured 'bookmarks' - quite worrying! But I didn't use the extension you mentioned anyway. And, the 'open links in new tab' still didn't work. The extensions and bookmarks came back when I restarted firefox (start, run, firefox -p) and specified the original profile ('default').

[The extensions I use now are: imagezoom, adblock, DOM, googlebar, all in one gestures, bugmenot and stumbleupon. If you know of any other good ones, please post! I haven't yet checked your BBCode link - I'll do that now] :D

I could never get tabs to work consistently but if I gave it a (Ctrl)T they seemed to work 'somewhat ok' until next time but I would still end up with multiple browser openings after awhile.

There are just too many sites I use that can not be viewed so have returned to IE myself.

This is the subject of another of the 'bug reports' on the firefox forum :o : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=114518

RDN, as you've found, BBCode makes it easier to play around with color, size etc. rather than using the tags provided on most forums.

I'd forgotten about using the scroll button to open links in a new tab as right click works for me.

You mention the nightly builds. There are people out there who download a new build every night but that's going a little over the top for me. One thing l did pick up from the Mozilla forums was to use an optimized build. These are tweaked versions of Firefox available for download to suit various computers and operating systems. For example there are versions for a Pentium 4 processor, an AMD processor, then there are versions for a slow computer i.e. 1ghz, another for 2ghz etc. etc. Of course there are Linux and Mac versions as well. If you do a search on the Mozilla forum you will find the links to the various builds, one which will be suited to you. I found some niggles l had with a previous standard version were no longer an issue using an optimised build.

Whatever version you download there seems to be fewer problems if you download off a link connected to Mozilla rather than a third party download site such as Download.com.

Lopburi, l used to find problems with a few sites but sometimes it can be the fault of the website as they haven't bothered to make the site suitable for non IE browsers. I also discovered from the Mozilla site some tips about Java and Flash that l was sure l had set up correctly but it turned out l still had to install some small plug ins and like magic a few problem sites worked perfectly. The only time l have to use IE is for some sites with some fancy graphics that l have hobbled a little in Firefox due to security issues.

Additional extensions l like are

• Spellbound
  • x aka Paranoia
  • IE View
  • Favicon Picker
  • Quick Note

With transferring bookmarks etc. l think that is becoming less of an issue now, there are ways of downloading the latest version without losing all your old settings. There's an extension called Bookmark Backup that saves your bookmarks each time you close your browser. Most of the extensions l've mentioned can be found here or by searching Mozilla.

Lopburi, l used to find problems with a few sites but sometimes it can be the fault of the website as they haven't bothered to make the site suitable for non IE browsers. I also discovered from the Mozilla site some tips about Java and Flash that l was sure l had set up correctly but it turned out l still had to install some small plug ins and like magic a few problem sites worked perfectly. The only time l have to use IE is for some sites with some fancy graphics that l have hobbled a little in Firefox due to security issues.

That is of course true but as IE is used by almost all now and is the standard that is not going to happen.

Bangkok Bank is one of the sites that would not work that I often needed to access.

Agree if you have geek time to get and keep it working good the fact that it displays content before full download makes it feel faster and if you understand and can get the plug ins working to your liking it may serve you better. But after several lock-ups I give up.

One thing that I did not like about it was the extremely long start up time, about 30 seconds. Although this may have been caused by a Microsoft update. :D

Since removal have not been able to post to this forum using IE6 without getting an invalid request (request error) screen for some reason so guess they got me back. :o

RDN, as you've found, BBCode makes it easier to play around with color, size etc. rather than using the tags provided on most forums.

I'd forgotten about using the scroll button to open links in a new tab as right click works for me.

You mention the nightly builds. There are people out there who download a new build every night but that's going a little over the top for me. One thing l did pick up from the Mozilla forums was to use an optimized build.....

I couldn't find any downloadable optimised builds - plenty of details on how to build, but not already-built. Got any links? :o

.....With transferring bookmarks etc. l think that is becoming less of an issue now, there are ways of downloading the latest version without losing all your old settings. There's an extension called Bookmark Backup that saves your bookmarks each time you close your browser. Most of the extensions l've mentioned can be found here or by searching Mozilla.

Looks like "Bookmark Backup" has disappeared from the web.... but you must get "Ook" - it gives you all your bookmarks when you right-click! Excellent!

My currently installed extensions:

adblock

all-in-one-gestures

image zoom

google bar

copy plain text

undoclosetab

bbcode

ieview

spellbound

quicknote

bugmenot

nuke anything

download statusbar

allow right-click

ook

Of course, the context menu (right-click menu) is getting so full, I need an extension that allows me to sort this menu..

And so it goes on.... and on.... and on... :D

I couldn't find any downloadable optimised builds - plenty of details on how to build, but not already-built. Got any links?
Start by reading the sticky FAQ here. I'm currently using a build by Moox which you'll find linked in the FAQ, but there are many to chose, just see what best matches your own computer set-up.
Of course, the context menu (right-click menu) is getting so full, I need an extension that allows me to sort this menu...

You mean something like this?

Looks like "Bookmark Backup" has disappeared from the web.... but you must get "Ook" - it gives you all your bookmarks when you right-click!

You're right about it disappearing. A quick search shows that link has been reported as a broken link. Not a vital extension fortunately. Used to use Ook with Firefox 0.8 but haven't gotten around to installing it again.

Start by reading the sticky FAQ .......

You mean something like ...........

Thanks Highwayman - excellent information. I've been playing with the context menu editor and had a look at the optimised build sites. And also I'm building up a good set of bookmarks for firefox information - thanks again :o