Food Price Increases

donbattles

Many of you have noticed that there has been a 30-40% increase in the price of pork. Watch for chicken and beef to also go up. I think that it is safe to relate these price increases to the following:

• Claim of pig Cholora by at least one grower.
  • Increase in oil prices
  • Big increase in animal food prices due to the people using corn and tapioca to make gasahol. This creates a shortage of animal food.
  • Suppliers testing the new government and their will to inforce the price controls
  • Shortage of palm oil as it is also being used to make gasahol.

Overall for this year you may expect general food prices to increase from 15-30%.

The government is trying to bring pork prices down but I don't think they will be able to do so.

Many things in Thailand are expensive now.

Don

I noticed that the price of bacon had gone up in Big C. A&P bakery have put their bread prices up as well.

I suppose people on a budget will have to start shopping around a little.

I buy bulk beef freshly killed at the local market and cut it up and freeze it myself, it works out considerably cheaper than in the supermarkets. Same with local pork.

Curious what you pay for pork per kilo up there? We pay 130 baht a kilo for pork here on Koh Phangan-most of the pork is locally raised as well. I understand Bangkok is under 100 b/kilo, we've paid 130 b/k for about a month now.

What about butter - was 34 baht, went up to 45 baht now jumping to 77 baht.

I'm going to give up eating.

I was just going to say the very same thing.

Imperial butter was 45 baht within the last few months.

I havent been shopping for a while, but today I went to the Emporium and they want 78 baht for the same item, thats like a 70% increase!!!

There is no way that can be justified even with the increase in fuel prices. There are sveral items which have increased significantly over the last few months, but I think that is the most memorable :o

Curious what you pay for pork per kilo up there? We pay 130 baht a kilo for pork here on Koh Phangan-most of the pork is locally raised as well. I understand Bangkok is under 100 b/kilo, we've paid 130 b/k for about a month now.

Just checked in the freezer.

Pork ribs 250/Kg

Pork mid loin chop 215/Kg

Pork Rack 285/Kg

All 'hygenic' pork :o whatever that means!!

Average Bangkok Pork prices from government approved suppliers is 120 Baht. Look for further increases. The price quotations come out weekly which prevents any long term planning. Non governmnet approved farms and processing plant beef or pork is dangerous. Much of the beef has been smuggled live. There are no government approved slaughter houses in the south of Thailand.

Don

Average Bangkok Pork prices from government approved suppliers is 120 Baht. Look for further increases. The price quotations come out weekly which prevents any long term planning. Non governmnet approved farms and processing plant beef or pork is dangerous. Much of the beef has been smuggled live. There are no government approved slaughter houses in the south of Thailand.

Don

Last year we were selling pigs at 28baht/kilo . A large loss, many owners in the area went out of business. The markets were selling pork at 60-90baht/kilo.

This year there is a shortage and we are selling at around 60baht/kilo. Food prices (for the pigs) have gone up by about 20%. The markets are now selling pork at 90-120baht/kilo.

If the sellers had been willing to pay more last year instead of taking close on 100% markup, then there would not be the shortage there is now.

I have been to processing plants both in the UK and here. I have seen the unapproved slaughter houses and the aproved slaughter houses. There is not much difference.

Edited by dsys

• 4 weeks later...

For the moment I am living in Holland with my thai wife and my father in Law is running our Brahman beeffarm just outside Phichit.

We just started our beeffarm with 4 groups of Bramans from 1 year old. (about 250 kg).

After a period of fattening them up ( irrigated fresh gras every day + mixfood) we want to sell them to the local abattoir.

Today my father in law told us that the abbattoir want to collect our cows (when they are about 400 kg ) and pay only 45 bth.

per kilo.

Considering the raised prices for the daily food ( maize, cassave, fishmeal, etc ) the last month's i can not understand this low price ????

Please let me know if this is only a region abattoir price?

Local market beef ( Phichit/Sai Ngam ) cost today 120 bth a kilo.

Is there such a big different with the prices in each region in Thailand?

I am very greatfull if you can inform me.

Ruud

Today the told him that the price

Today

Don

Last year we were selling pigs at 28baht/kilo . A large loss, many owners in the area went out of business. The markets were selling pork at 60-90baht/kilo.

This year there is a shortage and we are selling at around 60baht/kilo. Food prices (for the pigs) have gone up by about 20%. The markets are now selling pork at 90-120baht/kilo.

If the sellers had been willing to pay more last year instead of taking close on 100% markup, then there would not be the shortage there is now.

I have been to processing plants both in the UK and here. I have seen the unapproved slaughter houses and the aproved slaughter houses. There is not much difference.

Look for prices to continue as long as food is used to make gasahol. Animal food has risen to all time highs.

Local market beef does not come from government approved slaughter houses and very well could be smuggled in and contaminated or diseased. This is a reason the prices are less. There are no government approved beef slaughter houses in Chiang Rai. Also, most likely these are cows that have finished calving at about age 10 and then killed. Less likely that any of the local animals are grain fed. However, if you are satisfied that is all that counts. You get what you pay for.

Best wishes.

Don

So a 50 satang increase of petrol would inflict a much higher increase in price of let's say pork?

My dear Goski,

Please advice me which gasstation you use!

Price of diesel has gone up 2 baht the last 3 weeks. Probably 7 baht in one year.

13 baht a ltr 7-8 years ago is now more than 32 baht a ltr.

Price of pork has gone up more than 50 % in China. Mabe Thailand is exporting to China?

I bought Cambozola cheese :D a couple of days ago in Chiang Mai. 1500 baht a kilo! I wish I could find it here in Chiang Rai!

:o:D:D