Sin Sot For The Local Guys

jonniebkk

Was talking to the curtain installer this morning, who had come to my house to install some new curtains I ordered for my house. As the conversation turned around to the ladies, found out he was 25 and still single. When I asked why, he said pretty ladies from his area were pang maak maak!!

He said he was from Sakorn Nakorn (which is not too far from Kalisin central Issan area) and when I asked how much the going rate for a pretty local girl was he said B 100,000. That's allot of money for a local boy...when I asked about trading down to a less pretty or older girl, he said it was better to remain single :o

I wonder how much impact the prices that farangs are ready to pay in sin sot has effected how much the local girls and their families ask from the local Thai boys?

Expatriates and tourists always complain about the attitude of lots of Thai male toughs...I wonder how many of them have been outbid by a farang for their village sweetheart's heart :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does seem a lot for an upcountry lad to pay for an upcountry lass.

If we take it as 100k being about a year's money for this guy it is very expensive indeed.

There is no way would I entertain paying a year of my salary in sin sot (unless they were throwing in a condo in Singapore in return :o ).

As for resentment from locals - I certainly think there could be some basis in that and it being directed towards farangs is not out of the question either.

I am sure there is some resentment when a farang marries a pretty girl from Issan, i should be fine as i married a dark skin flat nosed Issan farm girl. Ugly as hel_l too. So the local guys probably are quite thankful :o

Any chance of love coming into play? My missus who's another Nakhon... sort said that love was more important. The parents didn't want a penny as long as she's happy.

I thought that was normal. My naivete (I thought that I'd go with the French spelling, but sorry about the lack of punctuation mark) again...

I fell sorry for the young Thai lads. Bad parenting in my book - love should not be given barriers by greedy parents. Their daughters are not commodities. (Shouldn't be anyway...)

I fell sorry for the young Thai lads. Bad parenting in my book - love should not be given barriers by greedy parents. Their daughters are not commodities. (Shouldn't be anyway...)

This is a gutsy comment given your company on this forum.

I don't want to judge others, as I'm far from perfect myself. I certainly wouldn't judge what love means to others, or ones choices in love. (I think that covers me :o )

I'm just suggesting that if I had a daughter then her feelings of love would be more important to me than money (Even if I was potless!). In fact the thought of a daughter of mine being a commodity is painful. I'd hope that other parents would feel the same.

Thus, the sin sod should be far from the minds of parents whilst their childrens love should be at the forefront. That's what my mummy and daddy taught me.

Any chance of love coming into play? My missus who's another Nakhon... sort said that love was more important. The parents didn't want a penny as long as she's happy.

I thought that was normal. My naivete (I thought that I'd go with the French spelling, but sorry about the lack of punctuation mark) again...

That's thia traditional to have sin sot. My friend born in thailand lived in us for many years. Now he don't even like the idea about sin sot and i agreed. If a girl wants to marry you and you don't want to, there is your excuse.

I don't have no money and you are not affordable and no I will not take out a loan. :o

That's thia traditional to have sin sot. My friend born in thailand lived in us for many years. Now he don't even like the idea about sin sot and i agreed. If a girl wants to marry you and you don't want to, there is your excuse.

I don't have no money and you are not affordable and no I will not take out a loan. :o

:D

Shouldn't you get the money back anyway? So, you can quickly pay the loan back. So, that won't be a good excuse for a thoughful girl!

I wonder how many roses you would get for 100,000 Baht. :o

Iranian to pay 124,000-rose dowry

An Iranian court has ordered a man to give his wife the 124,000 roses that he promised in her dowry, after she filed a complaint to claim it, reports say.

The woman said she was claiming the dowry because her "very stingy husband" would not even pay for a cup of coffee, according to the E'temad newspaper.

The court has seized the man's flat until he produces all of the roses.

Under Iranian law, a woman can claim her dowry, or mahr, at any time during a marriage or when getting divorced.

The gift becomes the property of the wife to do whatever she likes with.

It is required in order for the marriage contract and the marriage itself to be valid.

Continued here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7275506.stm

I am sure there is some resentment when a farang marries a pretty girl from Issan, i should be fine as i married a dark skin flat nosed Issan farm girl. Ugly as hel_l too. So the local guys probably are quite thankful :o

Can I ask why, when there are some gorgeous girls out there?

I wouldn't want my daughter marrying some bahtless schmuck.

With the 100,000 requirement...... she will get sombody with the means to take care.

I wouldn't want that too -despite the fact that their mother did :o

Edited by Neeranam

I will pay THB1 million for sinsod to my sweetheart. :o

She is from Bangkok and business Thai-Chinese family, just 21 years old and finished her university degree, speaks fluent English (thanks to me). So she is not typical girl whom farangs are considered to be associated with.

Why I am paying? Because its culture here, maybe making reputation as well. I am earning much more than an average English teacher (coz I am NOT English teacher). But this amount is my 1 year's saving.

What do I get in return? My sweetheart, THB1 million in cash (yes I will get it back), a nice condo and her share in the property. :D

Can I ask why, when there are some gorgeous girls out there?

Sure, i see her with different eyes than the locals. To me she is gorgeous but she fits the typical thai farm girl stereotype. Everyone in our area, (as well as most other thai areas), thinks that to be beautiful you need white skin, a pointy nose and to be undernourished.

Actually, sin sod has been one way to screen out the schmucks here for some time now. It's just that some folks sometimes don't get the hint. Even in my grandparent's time (married about 70 years ago now), if a family didn't want their daughter marrying some cart pusher, they'd simply ask for an outrageous sum and they guy would wander off ...or sometimes the girl would run off with the guy: "everyone likes to pretend that the distant past was all prim and proper... but that wasn't necessarily the case."

:o

Bad parenting in my book - love should not be given barriers by greedy parents. Their daughters are not commodities. (Shouldn't be anyway...)
Actually, sin sod has been one way to screen out the schmucks here for some time now. It's just that some folks sometimes don't get the hint. Even in my grandparent's time (married about 70 years ago now), if a family didn't want their daughter marrying some cart pusher, they'd simply ask for an outrageous sum and they guy would wander off

So true. My brother-in-law was in love with a Thai woman from a Chinese family in Bangkok. They dated for 2 years and started talking marriage last year...her parents were asking 500,000 baht sin sod!! My mother in law refused to pay it (didn't like the girl!), BIL is a poor police man and her parents wouldn't accept less. In reality they obviously didn't want their beautiful 24 year old daughter marrying a Thai Thai southerner! About 2 months later they broke up, so, so much for love!

I am sure there is some resentment when a farang marries a pretty girl from Issan, i should be fine as i married a dark skin flat nosed Issan farm girl. Ugly as hel_l too. So the local guys probably are quite thankful :D

By the looks of your little fella in your avatar, i find it hard to believe in the "she's ugly as hel_l" crapola.. :o:D

She is from Bangkok and business Thai-Chinese family, just 21 years old and finished her university degree, speaks fluent English (thanks to me). So she is not typical girl whom farangs are considered to be associated with.

Why I am paying? Because its culture here, maybe making reputation as well. I am earning much more than an average English teacher (coz I am NOT English teacher). But this amount is my 1 year's saving.

What do I get in return? My sweetheart, THB1 million in cash (yes I will get it back), a nice condo and her share in the property. :D

A little word of advice from The Traveling Wilburys..

You walk in, half past nine

Lookin like a queen

Serving me with papers

Calling me obscene

Woman I’ve tried so hard

Just to do my best

They’re gonna put me in the poor house

And you’ll take all the rest

Up all day, down all night

Working on the job

Everything I do is wrong

I always end up wrought

Woman I try so hard

Done all I can do.

Keep all the best for you.

Ooh, in the poor house

Ooh, in the poor house

If a drove a pulpwood truck

Would you love me more?

Will you bring me diamonds

And hang around my door

Woman, I’ve done my best

They’re ain’t much left for me

And throw away the key (in the poor house)

Ooh, in the poor house

You walked in, half past nine

Lookin like a queen

Serving me with papers

Calling me obscene

Woman I’ve tried so hard

Just to do my best

In the poor house

Ooh, in the poor house

In the poor house

Ooh, in the poor house

post-31110-1204904438_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

I am sure there is some resentment when a farang marries a pretty girl from Issan, i should be fine as i married a dark skin flat nosed Issan farm girl. Ugly as hel_l too. So the local guys probably are quite thankful :D

By the looks of your little fella in your avatar, i find it hard to believe in the "she's ugly as hel_l" crapola.. :D :D

Hahaha, you got me!

OR.. perhaps i velly velly hansum man :o

I wonder how much impact the prices that farangs are ready to pay in sin sot has effected how much the local girls and their families ask from the local Thai boys?

Expatriates and tourists always complain about the attitude of lots of Thai male toughs...I wonder how many of them have been outbid by a farang for their village sweetheart's heart :o

Well, yes, there has obviously been an impact, and this has been known or reported for quite some time now. It is obvious, common sense and economics: if the "supply" in the dating/marriage market are Issan women, demand from a rapidly growing source of foreign "customers" is also obviously going to affect both price and supply, hence driving up the price of sin sot for the local boys as well.

By the looks of your little fella in your avatar, i find it hard to believe in the "she's ugly as hel_l" crapola.. :D :D

Hahaha, you got me!

OR.. perhaps i velly velly hansum man :o

Ugly parents good looking kids. Well that's my theory anyway and I am sticking to it. :D:D

As for Sinsod I compensated my inlaws 100,000 for a 28 yo Issan girl with Uni degree. Didn't get the money back, the parents need it more than me. I am lead to believe that her elder sister who married a Thai guy about 5 years ago had a compensation figure of about 75,000. So guess in one way, taking into account inflation and all in my inlaws family there is not difference between a Thai and Farang. Of course when it comes to taking care of the family in the future I might get hit up a bit more, but that is a different story....

I heard a story recently of a marriage in ubon which involed a B20million sinsod - young thai girl, old farang.

I suspect it's <deleted> but.....if it's true....talk about leaving your brain at the airport. :o:D:D

I have seen countless thai vs thai marriages where sin sod has been an issue..in some cases i have even given some cash to help the male part to scrape up the cash.... (For us falangs its small amounts but for locals on regular thai saleries it might seem very much...)

But inmost cases its a mater of "face" , and if thats it an arrangement regarding how much is shown and how much is actually given will suffice.... :o

A little word of advice from The Traveling Wilburys..

You walk in, half past nine

Lookin like a queen

Serving me with papers

Calling me obscene

Woman I’ve tried so hard

Just to do my best

Up all day, down all night

Working on the job

Everything I do is wrong

I always end up wrought

Woman I try so hard

Done all I can do.

Keep all the best for you.

Ooh, in the poor house

Ooh, in the poor house

If a drove a pulpwood truck

Would you love me more?

Will you bring me diamonds

And hang around my door

Woman, I’ve done my best

They’re ain’t much left for me

And throw away the key (in the poor house)

Ooh, in the poor house

You walked in, half past nine

Lookin like a queen

Serving me with papers

Calling me obscene

Woman I’ve tried so hard

Just to do my best

In the poor house

Ooh, in the poor house

In the poor house

Ooh, in the poor house

------------------

I didn't know the Wilburys dedicated a song to my ex... :D

Was talking to the curtain installer this morning, who had come to my house to install some new curtains I ordered for my house. As the conversation turned around to the ladies, found out he was 25 and still single. When I asked why, he said pretty ladies from his area were pang maak maak!!

He said he was from Sakorn Nakorn (which is not too far from Kalisin central Issan area) and when I asked how much the going rate for a pretty local girl was he said B 100,000. That's allot of money for a local boy...when I asked about trading down to a less pretty or older girl, he said it was better to remain single :o

Expatriates and tourists always complain about the attitude of lots of Thai male toughs...I wonder how many of them have been outbid by a farang for their village sweetheart's heart :D

Hey, if you have to bid for a lady, then just forget it. Any woman who selects the man offering the most money is not worth a light.

Hey, if you have to bid for a lady, then just forget it. Any woman who selects the man offering the most money is not worth a light.

That comment shows you don't understand what Sinsod is all about. It isn't about bidding and the highest bid win's. There is still love involved in it all. That being said there is an element of negotiation with the parents.