Coffee Shops

tessadog

As a fan of good coffee especially cappuccinos, i am wondering where is the place with the best coffee in Chiang Mai. Anyone like that stuff that Starbucks offer?

I am very sorry, but I can't seem to get your point :D First you say that you're a fan of good coffee and then you mention Starbucks, which one are you looking for :o

If it's good coffee that you're after, I would recommend Libernard Café, next to PhotoBug on Chaiyaphum Rd.

/ Priceless

Funny cos I had been considering starting a similar thread myself.

For the last year I've been slowly working my way around the city's coffee shops and while I have not come even close to sampling all of them, I have tried a fair few. In terms of pleasant ambience although perhaps not the best tasting coffee, that place just near DK bookstore is pretty good. Starbucks is out for sure but as chains go, Black Canyon makes a pretty good cup of the black stuff and Wawee isn't too bad. The Lanna coffee shop on Huay Kaew road seems to get it right most times.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for and how you like your coffee. I like mine black and super dark and I don't find many places that offer good dark roasts.

There's a new Segafredo coffee shop downstairs in Tops in Airport Plaza and while I personally prefer to frequent places using locally grown beans (I'm presuming theirs are imported from Italy), this place does make a pretty great cup even if it is a location devoid of any atmosphere.

Edited by Bananaman

As a fan of good coffee especially cappuccinos, i am wondering where is the place with the best coffee in Chiang Mai. Anyone like that stuff that Starbucks offer?

I am very sorry, but I can't seem to get your point :D First you say that you're a fan of good coffee and then you mention Starbucks, which one are you looking for :o

If it's good coffee that you're after, I would recommend Libernard Café, next to PhotoBug on Chaiyaphum Rd.

/ Priceless

If you noticed i mentioned the word 'stuff' from Starbuks. If i thought Starbuks sold coffee i would have said coffee :D

/ Priceless

If you noticed i mentioned the word 'stuff' from Starbuks. If i thought Starbuks sold coffee i would have said coffee :D

Mea culpa, I didn't read carefully enough :D Then we are in full agreement! BTW, Libernard do their own roasting (supposedly daily) of locally grown beans, good stuff :D

/ Priceless

Funny cos I had been considering starting a similar thread myself.

For the last year I've been slowly working my way around the city's coffee shops and while I have not come even close to sampling all of them, I have tried a fair few. In terms of pleasant ambience although perhaps not the best tasting coffee, that place just near DK bookstore is pretty good. Starbucks is out for sure but as chains go, Black Canyon makes a pretty good cup of the black stuff and Wawee isn't too bad. The Lanna coffee shop on Huay Kaew road seems to get it right most times.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for and how you like your coffee. I like mine black and super dark and I don't find many places that offer good dark roasts.

There's a new Segafredo coffee shop downstairs in Tops in Airport Plaza and while I personally prefer to frequent places using locally grown beans (I'm presuming theirs are imported from Italy), this place does make a pretty great cup even if it is a location devoid of any atmosphere.

I forgot to add that there's a gem of a place called Perfect Blend located on a soi off Chang Klan road just opposite the Shangri-la. Like Libernard, the owner roasts his own beans. He also sells them bagged for home enjoyment.

How about u cony-sewers giving an idea of sizes and prices

:o

Both 'bout 5 feet to 5 and a couple 'o inches.. :D

Can't remember how much for a cup, but it was a American size (yeah, not these little dinky cups) good 'n hearty , and somewhere 'round B80 I think...too busy trying to flirt to worry of the cost...

Former Army man, so I like mine really black, really hot and preferably outta a canteen cup.. :D

My standard for espresso drinks developed in San Francisco's Italian neighbourhoods. For coffee quality, Lanna and Libernard are my favourites. Libernard probably has the best barista talent in town. The owner takes great care to use the correct roasts for each type of pressing, rather than one roast for all.

I've tried Starbucks here a few times, seems like the coffee lacks freshness, perhaps because the beans come from abroad (including the Thai roast). But I'd rank Starbucks over Black Canyon. The coffee at Black Canyon tastes even less fresh to me. Too much foam in the lattes and caps at every Black Canyon I've tried.

Wawee also usually disappoints, not sure why they can't seem to get it together. Beans don't taste very fresh and the baristas again tend to overmilk the lats and caps. Could be they're catering to Thai tastes.

Funny how virtually every espresso shop in town (Libernard may be the only exception) serves powered nondairy creamer with their fresh-brewed java. And I notice that many Thais add powdered creamer to latte and cappuccino as well.

For price, the two branches of Tawa on Suthep Rd can't be beat. Beans are freshly roasted, if a bit over-roasted, and the original Tawa has free wi-fi.

My standard for espresso drinks developed in San Francisco's Italian neighbourhoods. For coffee quality, Lanna and Libernard are my favourites. Libernard probably has the best barista talent in town. The owner takes great care to use the correct roasts for each type of pressing, rather than one roast for all.

I've tried Starbucks here a few times, seems like the coffee lacks freshness, perhaps because the beans come from abroad (including the Thai roast). But I'd rank Starbucks over Black Canyon. The coffee at Black Canyon tastes even less fresh to me. Too much foam in the lattes and caps at every Black Canyon I've tried.

Wawee also usually disappoints, not sure why they can't seem to get it together. Beans don't taste very fresh and the baristas again tend to overmilk the lats and caps. Could be they're catering to Thai tastes.

Funny how virtually every espresso shop in town (Libernard may be the only exception) serves powered nondairy creamer with their fresh-brewed java. And I notice that many Thais add powdered creamer to latte and cappuccino as well.

For price, the two branches of Tawa on Suthep Rd can't be beat. Beans are freshly roasted, if a bit over-roasted, and the original Tawa has free wi-fi.

The Coffee Bus across from Rimping Supermarket they do a great Latte @ 35 Baht beats the <deleted> they sell at Starbucks for 85 Baht

If cafe oliang (Old Chinese style filter coffee) is your thing then Kopitiam on Nimmenhemin do a good one.

And they have kopi (strong southern Thai/Hokkien coffee) as well, plus regular lattes, etc. Nice Thai and Malay food. Not much atmo, but you can't have everything!

The Coffee Bus across from Rimping Supermarket they do a great Latte @ 35 Baht beats the <deleted> they sell at Starbucks for 85 Baht

I concur, and that's normally where you'll find me in the mornings almost daily. I just wish they would have bigger cups...I wonder if I said sumptin to Nui she would get me one... :o Great crew there as well..once told me my lunch and dinner was B3000 !!

If cafe oliang (Old Chinese style filter coffee) is your thing then Kopitiam on Nimmenhemin do a good one.

And they have kopi (strong southern Thai/Hokkien coffee) as well, plus regular lattes, etc. Nice Thai and Malay food. Not much atmo, but you can't have everything!

Especially when poured through an old leg of one of Nora Battys stockings...(last of the summer...etc.....)...all thick and black...ruff ruff... :o ....plus globules of Carnation condensed milk and sticky sugar.....

Agree about Star $$$s...yuch and supprise over "ere ..Blighty...I quite like the stuff they serve up in M&S ...Cafe...wotever...Fairtrade and all that but not a bad Cappo although a bit nig noi peng [email protected] a cup (pounds) :D

In CM .however ..I usually drive up pass the garden centres at "Bann Hoi Gell" and go to a wee place by the side of the road in Mae Kampong ...just over the other side of the Mae Takhrai....nice mountain stuff and all locally grown...... :D ...chop...

I am very sorry, but I can't seem to get your point :D First you say that you're a fan of good coffee and then you mention Starbucks, which one are you looking for :D / Priceless

Starbucks has probably become more synonymous with selling branded gift coffee cups, specialty drinks (iced concoctions), snacks, etc, than a quality cup of Joe. But that hasn't hurt their bottom line.

Be it daily ritual or for wi-fi, SB has a formula that works,

You could be lost in the jungle only to stumble onto a Starbucks, :o

i must say starbucks are hard to beat ,even though a little bit expensive,but you know what you are getting

Yes - dependably ripped off for a bland travesty of what coffee could and should be. So sad to see that quirky place in front of Central Kad Suan Kaew become just another "outlet".........

On a more positive note, there's a small (and IMO charming place) about 50 metres down from the moat on the right (west) side of Si Phum Soi 1. If I remember right, it's called Charcoa and they treat you like individuals. Seats inside as well as outside in a small planted patio. And excellent pastries, gateaux etc.

On a grander scale, Moc Mol on Huay Kaew Road near CMU - sit there in the garden or by the lotus pools and you'd never know there's a city bustling about 50 metres away. Aircon seating, too - usually occupied by wifi laptop addicts.

Does not the Rimping Supermarket exist at more than one location? If so, to which are you referring?

Does not the Rimping Supermarket exist at more than one location? If so, to which are you referring?

I know of 2 at least. The one he's refering to is at Meechoc Plaza.

Coffee Bus has 2 locations, One at Meechooc and have just opened another at "Payup" University.

Black coffee pretty much tastes like sh*t and a lot of cream and sugar makes almost any coffee taste pretty good.

Who are you coffee snobs trying to kid? :o

I never put sugar or milk in my coffee. And that's why I'm a snob. Only good coffee is drinkable black. :D On rare occasions I'll have a latte or cappuccino, but in that case they already contain milk.

On a side note, Italian friends tell me that in Italy only children and old ladies drink cappuccino, and a latte is only good first thing in the morning when you have a hangover. :D I've been to Italy a few times, can't recall seeing anyone drinking anything but espressos and americanos.

Going to Starbucks was the highlight of most our days in Medina (Saudi Arabia). Pretty boring town if you aren't there for the Haj.

Going to Starbucks was the highlight of most our days in Medina (Saudi Arabia). Pretty boring town if you aren't there for the Haj.

And terribly frustrating if you are, once you realize you need to be in Mecca for the Haj. :o

I am now very deeply in your debt, sir. Based on your recommendation, I visited Libernard Café this morning. What a delightful place. Not only was my cappuccino superb, but I fell in love with the bamboo-ensconced outdoor seating area, thoroughly enjoyed the music and had a wonderful conversation with the owner.

Unfortunately, however, when I explained to her that I had learned of her establishment through your recommendation, I could recall only your TV name, which would have been no use in identifying you to her. I did tell her, though, that if a Swede came in and mentioned my name to her, the mystery would be solved. Again, many thanks.

And terribly frustrating if you are, once you realize you need to be in Mecca for the Haj. :o

Better continue your research on that Razza.

Medina and Mecca are the 2 sites where Haj Pilgrims carry out their Pilgrimage. They can do only Mecca if time and budget is limited but to do both Medina and Mecca it is considered to be far more worthy.

Better continue your research on that Razza.

Medina and Mecca are the 2 sites where Haj Pilgrims carry out their Pilgrimage. They can do only Mecca if time and budget is limited but to do both Medina and Mecca it is considered to be far more worthy.

Darn that Wikipedia, which has only this bad information on taking a side trip to Medina:

Though it is not required as part of the Hajj, many pilgrims also travel to visit the city of Medina and the Mosque of the Prophet.

I look forward to enjoying your Wiki-correction!

I am now very deeply in your debt, sir. Based on your recommendation, I visited Libernard Café this morning. What a delightful place. Not only was my cappuccino superb, but I fell in love with the bamboo-ensconced outdoor seating area, thoroughly enjoyed the music and had a wonderful conversation with the owner.

Unfortunately, however, when I explained to her that I had learned of her establishment through your recommendation, I could recall only your TV name, which would have been no use in identifying you to her. I did tell her, though, that if a Swede came in and mentioned my name to her, the mystery would be solved. Again, many thanks.

Yes, it is quite an oasis in the hustle and bustle of the city, isn't it? I guess you owe at least me a tequila at the BBQ :o

/ Priceless