Nong Khai Immigration Only 7 Days Extension On Tourist Visa

I have been in Thailand a long time on a mix of Work Permits, Visa B, tourist visas and 30 day entry stamps.

Two recent 90 day tourist visas in a row, entry for 60 days, then each extended at Pattaya immigration for a further 30 days. On 28 April, for the extention to the the third one at Nong Khai immigration office I was given only seven days. Reason: No return air ticket. Cost for the seven day extention: 1,900 baht.

So a warning to anyone who believes that the return air ticket is only a condition for people arriving withot a visa.

Actually that has happened a few times for people with passports that indicate they are living in Thailand long term.

((edit: But this is the first report since high tourist season started so perhaps it signals a return to closer inspection))

All extensions of stay are 1,900 baht.

So a warning to anyone who believes that the return air ticket is only a condition for people arriving withot a visa.

There's nothing new here. A lot of people have been caught out on this at Jomtien over the last 6 months.

I always carry a copy of my return ticket when I'm applying for extensions. It seems sometimes they want to see them, sometimes not, but it's better to be sure and have one.

There's nothing new here. A lot of people have been caught out on this at Jomtien over the last 6 months.

I always carry a copy of my return ticket when I'm applying for extensions. It seems sometimes they want to see them, sometimes not, but it's better to be sure and have one.

I didnt tropi did you, also can one buy one soi 5?

Chris

sorry to hear that. It just serves to prove the inconsistencies in immigration's treatment of visitors. I was in Nong Khai last week doing a run over to Laos. My friend who was with me crossed back into Thailand with no visa , and received another 30 day entry stamp . They never even asked to see an air ticket. Yet i understood this was the policy . Anyone's guess.

Nong Kai would not be my choice to apply for anything.

Agreed. I have tried dealing with them for over 6 years. The rules change every visit.

My conclusion: They are a completely dysfunctional branch of immigration--both the border station and the immigration office.

...The rules change every visit...

Not really. The rule for a tourist visa extension is – and has been for many years – “Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 30 days”

Therefore, if one applicant is given 30 days and the next is given 7 days, both have been dealt with in accordance with the rule. The “not more than” clause allows immigration officials do handle each application based on its merits.

--

Maestro