How Use Gprs

alex2004

Why wasting the money by buying these expensive GPRS aircards.Do you have a mobile which has bluetooth builtin?and a USB Bluetooth dongle for PC?if u don't have ,You can buy Sony Ericsson T68i not more than 3000 Baht in MBK centre,and the USB bluetooth dongle not more than 1000Baht.It will function the same as the GPRS aircard.and Much lighter and smaller than the Card and Plus it's a mobile phone as well.

I, too, use a Sony Ericsson T68i with both Bluetooth and infrared links enabled.

I, too, nearly bought an air Card "promotion special, B18,000" to use with my laptop from large computer retailer.

Before buying, went and checked with the adjacent DTAC Shop in Pinklao, who set me up with an account for GPRS, unlimited usage for 12 months for 999 baht per month.

My mobile phone still works as mobile phone, when not using it as a modem.

For that I pay aditional 250 baht per month line rental, plus 4 baht per minute flat rate for all calls - landline and mobile, any changwat, any time.

Not tried using laptop on a bus, or train, or in the car. S'pose if and when I do, I may have to fork out B18,000 for an air card. Then again, maybe not!

PS used in various (non moving) locations, away from home, and the link works fine.

You can either use Happy Dprompt or DTAC monthly line.But do'nt use AIS,it sucks.

i'm about to set up my laptop and buy a GPRS phone and was thinking about using AIS. Why do you think AIS sucks?

My GF has an AIS GMS phone and gets better reception on Ko Phangan than my DTAC phone, but that's voice only, i don;t have any experience with GPRS.

What kind of data rate and connect fees do you pay with DTAC GPRS?

thanks steve

You can buy Sony Ericsson T68i not more than 3000 Baht ... USB bluetooth dongle not more than 1000Baht.

Is this bluetooth dongle for 1000 baht widely available? Never even heard of it before.

Please tell me more about the different service providers and costs. Is there a per minute fee?

The big question is, will you be able to get online ANYWHERE there is a mobile phone signal or are there only certain zones that are GPRS enabled?

The bluetooth dongles are everywhere in Pantip Plaza or Fortune IT mall. The price has fallen a lot lately, you can get them for about 800 baht now (stores with slow turnover are still trying to sell them for 1,400+ so shop around). They work very well.

I only know about AIS, they charge 1 baht per minute, but they have data plans available with a certain number of hours bundled, which are very cheap by world standards.

The AIS network has the best GPRS coverage (last time I looked). GPRS is not available in all areas, but the coverage is pretty ###### (d.am.n) good actually, and has been available on most beaches, roads, rural areas and other places I have frequented. Downside: Many people have some reliablility issues - have search in this forum - but given the price you can't complain. There is one inhabitant of this forum who has never ever had a problem. If I ever meet him I will steal his phone !

If you want faster access DTAC now offers EDGE (currently limited to a large chunk of Bangkok though). You will need and EDGE-capable phone for that. I don't know anyone who's tried it yet though.

I hate the language censorship on this thing ! Let me express myself, dammit !

I have used AIS Gprs in Surin.Very crappy connection,so slow.Connection dropped a lot.I cancelled it's service after using only 1 month.And after that,I used DTAC.Great connection,very fast,and Can be used everywhere wherever DTAC's network is available.And also their date plans for GPRS are much cheaper and better than AIS,as well as they have new technology arrived,Called EDGE(wireless broadband clocking up to 256kbps)that's why I said that For GRPS,AIS SUX.And DTAC rules.I have been using DTAC since 6 months now.and very very satisfied with their GPRS.Cheap and Great .Thumbs UP DTAC :o

I have used AIS Gprs in Surin.Very crappy connection,so slow.Connection dropped a lot.I cancelled it's service after using only 1 month.And after that,I used DTAC.Great connection,very fast,and Can be used everywhere wherever DTAC's network is available.And also their date plans for GPRS are much cheaper and better than AIS,as well as they have new technology arrived,Called EDGE(wireless broadband clocking up to 256kbps)that's why I said that For GRPS,AIS SUX.And DTAC rules.I have been using DTAC since 6 months now.and very very satisfied with their GPRS.Cheap and Great .Thumbs UP DTAC :o

Thanks for the info. What do you pay for DTAC GPRS?

I want to use my Siemens ME 45, but not via Bluetooth.

I have a RS232 Cable to connect the phone to notebook. Is it possible to use this with any Prepaid card and GPRS?

I know, it´s the fashion, to use Bluetooth, but the wired connection is more safe.

I m paying 350B/month for 50MB of data.Now they have a new deal for new subscribers

1,99B/month for 30MB

2,99B/month for 12 hours

3,999B/month for unlimited usage

For jingjog,I am not sure what's the procedure to connect GPRS by wired connection.As I never saw or read anywhere about connecting GPRS to a computer.If the Siemens ME 45 can act as a modem,then i think it's possible.YOu gotta read search for it on Google.

I m paying 350B/month for 50MB of data.Now they have a new deal for new subscribers

1,99B/month for 30MB

2,99B/month for 12 hours

3,999B/month for unlimited usage

For jingjog,I am not sure what's the procedure to connect GPRS by wired connection.As I never saw or read anywhere about connecting GPRS to a computer.If the Siemens ME 45 can act as a modem,then i think it's possible.YOu gotta read search for it on Google.

Seems like they are catering to light users and heavy users and no inbetween.

Do you pay per minute connection fees on top of the GPRS fees?

And to clarify, if you have the Sony Ericson T68i and the bluetooth dongle, you don't need a GPRS modem, correct?

Dtac offer unlimted GPRS usage for 999 baht per month - on a contract phone-

The GPRS 999 deal ONLY runs for 1 year - after that it reverts to the standard plan.

So be carefull month 13!!

What to do is. you give them notice to cancel the contract jsut before the end of year 1 and then 1 day after the contract expires - call them back and they give you the 999 baht for a year again! They will welcome you with open arms !

Works for me!

I use it as a back-up to IPSTAR and when travelling around Thailand.

Leave it on all night downloading (saving the satellite badwidth!)

or even listen to Bangkok Radio - the 24k stream works fine on GPRS even on my Sony Clie handheld.

DTAC in my opinion has the best reliable data coverage.

Edited by croftrobin

Croftrobin:

thanks for the tip.

I signed up on 13 Sept, 999 per month. Will make a point of cancelling next August, 1 month's notice!

So far, I've been delighted with DTAC GPRS service. Couple of evenings its been a bit sluggish, but 7 - 8 pm I suppose its to be expected with any ISP.

Like you, I leave it to run for big downloads, although have been impressed with some download times!

Cheers

Seems like they are catering to light users and heavy users and no inbetween.

Do you pay per minute connection fees on top of the GPRS fees?

And to clarify, if you have the Sony Ericson T68i and the bluetooth dongle, you don't need a GPRS modem, correct?

Yeah,Even I didnt' switch to their these new plans coz there's no choice for a guy hanging in between of a light and heavy user :D .

You don't need a GPRS modem If you own a Sony Ericsson T68i and USB bluetooth dongle. :o

So far, I've been delighted with DTAC GPRS service. Couple of evenings its been a bit sluggish, but 7 - 8 pm I suppose its to be expected with any ISP.

Like you, I leave it to run for big downloads, although have been impressed with some download times!

Cheers

I am agreed.About 7 and 8 PM thing.And also would like to add that the downloading speed is better that of a 56K modem.Usually I get 5 to 6Kbps easily and even more than that.Thumbs up Dtac.But please think about a medium usage user not just Heavy and Light users :o

Dtac offer unlimted GPRS usage for 999 baht per month - on a contract phone-

The GPRS 999 deal ONLY runs for 1 year - after that it reverts to the standard plan.

And you pay nothing for per minute connection time? Just a flat rate of 999 a month and you can use it 24 hours a day with no extra hidden fees?

How do you mean, they offer the 999/month plan on a contract phone?

999Baht/Month ,You can use it unlimited regardless of hours or data usage.

Contract Phone means a Post Paid Phone,Not a Prepaid phone i.e. NOt Happy Dprompt.It has to be a post paid registered number only in order to qualify for these monthly packages.

Contract Phone means a Post Paid Phone,Not a Prepaid phone i.e. NOt Happy Dprompt.It has to be a post paid registered number only in order to qualify for these monthly packages.

999 a month unlimited. same as 56k modem. can use anywhere DTAC signal is available. no per minute fee. Sounds almost too good to be true, but I will try it and report back.

I have been using AIS GPRS in Chiang Mai without any real problems for the pastw two and a half years. Used it when I was in Pattaya as well.

I have a Sierra Wireless card.

I did experience some problems once I connected, with what I thought was bandwidth problems, ie. my browser would report that the "website was contacted, waiting for reply" and just stayed there.

I later found out it was my browser. If I turn my laptop off every night or just before using the internet, the system works fine, sometimes a little slow, but I only pay 850 a month for unlimited use.

Certainly as good or better than loxinfo dial up, which I had previously.

I have been using AIS GPRS in Chiang Mai without any real problems for the pastw two and a half years. Used it when I was in Pattaya as well.

I have a Sierra Wireless card.

I did experience some problems once I connected, with what I thought was bandwidth problems, ie. my browser would report that the "website was contacted, waiting for reply" and just stayed there.

I later found out it was my browser. If I turn my laptop off every night or just before using the internet, the system works fine, sometimes a little slow, but I only pay 850 a month for unlimited use.

Certainly as good or better than loxinfo dial up, which I had previously.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. GPRS sounds superior to dial up. Not sure why we don't hear about it more...

999 a month unlimited. same as 56k modem. can use anywhere DTAC signal is available. no per minute fee. Sounds almost too good to be true, but I will try it and report back.

CMT is off on another quest to find something better than dial-up! As always we'll be following your exploits.

I'm still trying to figure out how it works. I have a Nokia 6100, the rubbery one that looks like a Nike sneaker and is water/dust/shock resistant. Under the 'Connectivity' menu I can choose to switch on GPRS. Does this mean I can use this phone if I get a USB dongle, or is Bluetooth essential? What purpose does the GPRS menu on this phone serve if it can't be used without Bluetooth?

Thanks, I know these are very basic questions ...

Edited by sabaijai

CMT is off on another quest to find something better than dial-up! As always we'll be following your exploits.

I'm still trying to figure out how it works. I have a Nokia 6100, the rubbery one that looks like a Nike sneaker and is water/dust/shock resistant. Under the 'Connectivity' menu I can choose to switch on GPRS. Does this mean I can use this phone if I get a USB dongle, or is Bluetooth essential? What purpose does the GPRS menu on this phone serve if it can't be used without Bluetooth?

Thanks, I know these are very basic questions ...

Where can one get some info about CMT?

What is the name of the DTAC package, 999 baht / month and where can I buy it in Bangkok?

Thanks!

Under the 'Connectivity' menu I can choose to switch on GPRS. Does this mean I can use this phone if I get a USB dongle, or is Bluetooth essential? What purpose does the GPRS menu on this phone serve if it can't be used without Bluetooth?

You don't need bluetooth, its just a substitute for phsyical cables so really its just a matter of (great) convenience. *If* your phone has bluetooth built in then you can buy a bluetooth dongle to connect the phone and PC together wirelessly. If it doesn't then will have to buy a data cable compatible with your phone and plug it in manually when you want to use it.

The GPRS can be used for a few things directly on your phone. Most GPRS phones have some kind of web browser built in that (depending on your phone) would let you view WAP pages or hacked up versions of regular websites. A lot of phones can also be set up to download email or use instant messaging via GPRS as well.

CMT: My guess to your last question is that we are all using second choice methods until we get some form of ADSL or Sattelite connectivity.

My hope that the new satellite will make ipstar a better buy than GPRS and a lot faster, however, it may be too pricey for some of us retirees who have time and use internet mostly for e-mail and shopping, ocassionally for education.

Dtac even unveiled EDGE,clocking up to 240-260 Kb/sec.It's called Wireless Broadband.Though the coverage is limited in BKK at the moment.But I think not more than next 5 or 6 months EDGE will be available throughout the country.

EDGE is next generation GPRS.It's nothing new.Exactly works same as GPRS.Just you need to have an EDGE enabled mobile.Right now a few mobile sets are available e.g. Nokia 6230

If it doesn't then will have to buy a data cable compatible with your phone and plug it in manually when you want to use it.

That doesn't sound like too much hassle. I suppose any phone shop carrying Nokia accessories will carry such a cable?