Questions About Future Chiang Mai Stay.

nicholasmerwood

Hey everyone,

I'm coming to Thailand for about 5 months on a tourist visa in September. I have decided to spend most of my time in Chiang Mai after a bit of internet research (I havn't actually been to Chiang Mai before, just Phuket and BKK). My Thai fiance is also coming back with me (she is with me in Australia on a 6 month tourist visa at the moment), and I'm going to stay with her in Thailand while her prospective marriage visa gets passed.

I'm just wondering about some costs in Chiang Mai, from what I have read, it is cheaper than Bangkok, but not as cheap as other areas such as Khon Kaen and Nong Khai. I'm imagining I can get along fairly cheaply (correct me if I'm wrong) as the more expensive activities (girlies, renting motorbikes) will not be required. My fiance already has a little motorbike we will be using. I'm happy to eat thai food for breakfast lunch and tea, as I have been doing this for the last 3 months already...just love Thai food.

I'm planning about 200Baht for food, per day, per person - and because we both wont be working; we have heaps of time to buy from the markets/shopping centre(s) and cook ourself. Would this be enough?

How much would it roughly be for a nice cosy (1 or 2 bedroom) apartment, with a t.v, dvd player, a/c, hot water, and internet - in a secure complex which does not need to be located close to the inner city? I was thinking not more than 6,000Baht/month?

I'm allowing 1000Baht for drinks each month which we will be just buying in the shops and taking home (hope this is enough).

Previous posts have been very helpful in this forum...and I hope these questions aren't stupid.

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning about 200Baht for food, per day, per person - and because we both wont be working; we have heaps of time to buy from the markets/shopping centre(s) and cook ourself. Would this be enough?

How much would it roughly be for a nice cosy (1 or 2 bedroom) apartment, with a t.v, dvd player, a/c, hot water, and internet - in a secure complex which does not need to be located close to the inner city? I was thinking not more than 6,000Baht/month?

I'm allowing 1000Baht for drinks each month which we will be just buying in the shops and taking home (hope this is enough).

Your questions are not stupid.

1) 200 baht/day/person for food. Actually you don't need that much. Vegetables are cheap. Delicious ready made dishes at 10 or 20 B.

2) You can find a one bedroom apt for 6000 B, even less (if no DVD player, you can buy one for less than 2000 B.)

3) It depends on what you like to drink. A box of 12 large Archa beer costs about 300 B

Have a nice stay.

Edited by adjan jb

Can be done easily for that money and is loads cheaper than Bangkok and Phuket, although beware rice and fuel has shot up of late. Can get a tidy room for about 5k along Nimmanhaemin (2kms west city centre) - Baan Thai is fairly newish with furnished rooms/pool and overlooking the mountain. If you need their number do a search on this forum as I've put it up in the past :o

/location//

Edited by jackr

Hey Thanks Guys!!

I guess we don't need a DVD player but when were there for 5 months it'll be nice to watch a few movies...maybe go to the cinema? Might work out much cheaper if we can save 4000Baht/month on accomodation. I guess my main problem is i don't know where to stay in Chaing mai,..but i will find out when i get there.

Also happy to see that my costing wasn't an under-estimate; although I will always allow a little extra for the drinks :o

By the way...to stay in a condo such as the Baan Thai - would I have to call earlier and give notice that I will be coming...or is it a sort of walk in deal. I saw the phone and fax number from previous discussion but is their any pics or official prices anywhere on the net?

Cheers...can tase the Leo already :o