Cockcroach Evolution?

sparrow

I keep killing these things in my house but more appear every night after dark. they look like a roaches only smaller (half inch to 1inch), slimmer and can fly, although they prefer to scuttle. they were a medium brow colour but have stated getting black ones with what looks like horns on their rear end. one flew at my leg earlier after i zapped his mate and it felt like it bit me, resulted in an itchy red patch for a few minutes but not like what a normal insect bit would do, no raising of the skin.

What can i do to get rid of them? I don't want to use strong chemicals as got a 3 month old baby in the house. We live on a moo baan out of town and keep the house clean so not a dirt problem. I think i saw an add for somthing about a fequenecy emmiter that keeps all insects away but can't really remmeber.

Any info would be much appreitiated :o

I keep killing these things in my house but more appear every night after dark. they look like a roaches only smaller (half inch to 1inch), slimmer and can fly, although they prefer to scuttle. they were a medium brow colour but have stated getting black ones with what looks like horns on their rear end. one flew at my leg earlier after i zapped his mate and it felt like it bit me, resulted in an itchy red patch for a few minutes but not like what a normal insect bit would do, no raising of the skin.

What can i do to get rid of them? I don't want to use strong chemicals as got a 3 month old baby in the house. We live on a moo baan out of town and keep the house clean so not a dirt problem. I think i saw an add for somthing about a fequenecy emmiter that keeps all insects away but can't really remmeber.

They sound like the American species of Cockroach. Really nasty little blighters.

Call in a pest eradication company and be prepared to spend a week in a hotel while the nasty chemicals dissipate. They will still be there when you get back, but at least you feel you are doing something.

In my personal experience, the only way to temporarily rid your lives of these obnoxious beasts is to burn the house down and move to another country.

The termites are swarming at present, this may be what you are seeing. Good screens keep them out for the most part, as well as shuting doors. A light seems to attract them, so we turn on gate lights to pull them away from the house.

They sound like the American species of Cockroach. Really nasty little blighters.

yes definately sound american species, they are always on the look for interesting new places to monopolise and look for oil, "weapons of mass destruction" and stuff..

I'm getting the same things right now. The missus reckons that they are not roaches and are entirely harmless. I gotta say that they are considerably less offensive than roaches because they don't have the long antennae at the top of the head and they don't run half as fast. They do fly, however, that is true and they aren't especially wary of their surroundings, often launching themselves into anything in their ill-considered flight paths. My cat loves them and they provide hours of entertainment and a good source of protein for him, so maybe you need to get yourself a feline friend for the house!

errrr.. wow.. well.. u know.. how about ignoring em?

because the crawl in to my glass between sips and i don't imajine they might carry something thats not too good for new born babies, why wouldn't i try to get rid of them

yes definately sound american species, they are always on the look for interesting new places to monopolise and look for oil, "weapons of mass destruction" and stuff..

:o hahaha

They're flying termites, very common this time of year. The Thais call them maeng mao/แมงเม่า and yes they eat them.

maengmao.jpg

When dining outdoors near bright lights, you may end up eating a few too, as they have a nasty habit of getting stuck into food on one's plate.

termite_drywood_alate-1.jpg

They tend to swarm around 7:30pm on warm evenings. and are gone within a half-hour or so. They swarm toward lights, so leave as many lights off as you can to reduce the nightly invasion.

They're flying termites, very common this time of year. The Thais call them maeng mao/แมงเม่า and yes they eat them.

maengmao.jpg

When dining outdoors near bright lights, you may end up eating a few too, as they have a nasty habit of getting stuck into food on one's plate.

They tend to swarm around 7:30pm on warm evenings. and are gone within a half-hour or so. They swarm toward lights, so leave as many lights off as you can to reduce the nightly invasion.

Its not these, but thanks. Imajine the same proportions only its body is equal to its wings and its head is like a slimmer smaller cockroach rather than antlike. six legs spaced so pair at front middle and back of the body running leangth of the wings.

maengmao.jpg

Its not these, but thanks. Imajine the same proportions only its body is equal to its wings and its head is like a slimmer smaller cockroach rather than antlike. six legs spaced so pair at front middle and back of the body running leangth of the wings.

I'm stumped then :o

The three main varieties of cockroach that invest homes here in CM are:

AmericanCockroach1.jpg

The American Cockroach

german_cockroach.jpg

The German Cockroach

And

oriental_cockroach_picture.jpeg

The Oriental Cockroach.

This should aid identification.

You can make your own pesticide free trap using a jar with a slice of white sandwich bread inside. A coating of petroleum jelly on the inside of the jar mouth will cause the cockroaches to fall in and also stop them from escaping. They can then be killed with hot soapy water or by placing them in the freezer overnight. Look HERE for further info on natural cockroach control.

AmericanCockroach1.jpg

The American Cockroach

german_cockroach.jpg

The German Cockroach

And

oriental_cockroach_picture.jpeg

The Oriental Cockroach.

This should aid identification.

You can make your own pesticide free trap using a jar with a slice of white sandwich bread inside. A coating of petroleum jelly on the inside of the jar mouth will cause the cockroaches to fall in and also stop them from escaping. They can then be killed with hot soapy water or by placing them in the freezer overnight. Look HERE for further info on natural cockroach control.

its zee garmans who invaded the house. thanks for the link :o

maengmao.jpg

Useful information :o . I had hundreds of these things errupting out of the ground in the garden a couple of weeks back. Nice to actually know what they were.

AmericanCockroach1.jpg

The American Cockroach

Oh well, there goes the housing market! When the cockroaches invest you know you left it too late....

It was a joke: invest.....infest. Geddit?

Too subtle for a Sunday post party hangover night, I guess. I thought it was moderately funny anyway :o

Back to sleep.

BTW, are these related to the little pests that swarm for about two hours, shed their wings everywhere and then vanish?

Edited by Greenside