The Computer Store

A new computer store named WBC Samui has opened up next to Macro. They are a branch of a store that is in Panthip plaza and their prices are very good. They said the prices are the same as if buying at their store in Panthip. I bought a 4GB USB drive for only 650 baht. Anywhere else on the island and it will cost over 1,000 baht.

I also bought a power cord for only 50 baht. 3 months ago, after going to 3 different computer shops, the cheapest I could find was 150B.

I don't know about their service (i.e. fixing computers) but I do know their prices on hardware is the best on Samui. I looked around at some of other things and the prices match what I saw in BKK last time I was there.

Does anyone have any experience with their repair service?

A new computer store named WBC Samui has opened up next to Macro. They are a branch of a store that is in Panthip plaza and their prices are very good. They said the prices are the same as if buying at their store in Panthip. I bought a 4GB USB drive for only 650 baht. Anywhere else on the island and it will cost over 1,000 baht.

I also bought a power cord for only 50 baht. 3 months ago, after going to 3 different computer shops, the cheapest I could find was 150B.

I don't know about their service (i.e. fixing computers) but I do know their prices on hardware is the best on Samui. I looked around at some of other things and the prices match what I saw in BKK last time I was there.

Does anyone have any experience with their repair service?

no knowledge but thx for the info. Computer shops are ripping off around here (when comparing to Bkk) so next time I'll check these boys up. They sell laptops too?

They sell laptops too?

Yes, they have about 8 on display. They also repair and advertised checking for free.

I just bought a Hitachi 120 GB external harddrive for 2600 baht (the Philips plastic casing cost another 500 baht). Are those Bangkok prices?

Edited by koheesti

They sell laptops too?

Yes, they have about 8 on display. They also repair and advertised checking for free.

I just bought a Hitachi 120 GB external harddrive for 2600 baht (the Philips plastic casing cost another 500 baht). Are those Bangkok prices?

I found the WBC bangkok website (it's REALLY not hard to find .co .th) website and it has a price list (excluding VAT) - i went to buy a 22inch Samsung monitor that was on the BKK site - they didn't have that specific one in stock, though they had others, but they called BKK to deliver it for me and I paid same BKK price + about 300 baht delivery :-) really happy! Ordered on Thursday, they said it would arrive monday, then called me to say it had arrived early on Saturday and I could collect. Now if only I could find a pro audio shop (decent monitor speakers, DJ mixers etc)

Top marks for WBC Samui from me!

Computer shops here on Samui take the p*ss, if it's not their over inflated prices, then it's some thai guy who doesn't have a clue what he's doing

Sounds like WBC is a step in the right direction!

Eric, bluechipIT is on the ring road next to the animal hospital.

if you are coming from lamai towards chaweng it's on the left just before the first right turn to chaweng (before the big ohm motorcycle shop)

http://www.bluechipsamui.com/

John.

I bought a 4GB USB drive for only 650 baht. Anywhere else on the island and it will cost over 1,000 baht.

That is a good price. 650 baht is about £10.80. What brand was it? If it was the Kingston 4GB then you got a very good deal.

At a popular online website here in the UK a Generic 4GB USB Memory Stick will cost £8.22 + 5 working days postage = £10.80 ! So for the online ordering price of the UK (and waiting upto 1 week!) you can just walk into a shop on Samui ! I'm a big fan of Pantip. 1,000 baht will get you 8GB now.

Well, on their website it is priced at 1050 baht so on Samui it is marked up over 150%. I should have researched it myself first before taking the OP's word for it that they have the same prices as Bangkok. Live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

My DVD Writer going crazy, I went to the WBC shop to buy a new one.

The model I selected on the WBC website is priced 890 bahts, I was asked for 1300 !

So, I did not bought it, I am ordering one by mail ...

I think that, as with other shops, if you don't know how much is what you buy, you will pay around 150% the price !

So, nothing special with this one, unfortunately ...

My DVD Writer going crazy, I went to the WBC shop to buy a new one.

The model I selected on the WBC website is priced 890 bahts, I was asked for 1300 !

So, I did not bought it, I am ordering one by mail ...

I think that, as with other shops, if you don't know how much is what you buy, you will pay around 150% the price !

So, nothing special with this one, unfortunately ...

The prices on that site are excluding tax - but yes ~50% tax seems a little much... when I ordered my LCD from them I told them that it was 7990 on their website, and they said that is exclusing tax - got it for 9990 tiotal which works out about 20% or so. Maybe print the price list out and take it with you?

Went there yesterday:

DVD writer costs 735 THB on the WBC website while 1.300 THB at Samui store. Rip off, argument is "shipping costs".

As usually nobody understands that I am not a satisfied customer.

I will continue to buy my computer equipment in Nathon.