Gasoline Guzzling Monster

Boy oh boy, I have a D-max 3 litre space cab 2 wheel drive (not the new common rail model) and I get 12.5 to 13 kilometres per litre. The air con is always on and mostly high. I drive in Issan and almost always 10 plus kilometres each trip, but wow I sure seem to be getting better milage than most of you folks with the mini cars. Why don't the car companies use diesel in all their cars? Issangeorge.

Thanks all for your reply's please keep them comming.What I don't understand is that previous to my yaris I had a toyota vios which I thought has the same engine.However while the vios is bigger then the yaris it would use in the same circumstances only 8 liters per 100 km and on long distance it could get to 6.5 liter per 100 km.So where is the logic?Smaller car with same engine uses more gasoline.

I drive a new Vios (manual) and get 18kms/litre out of it (5~6 litres/100kms?). So if the Yaris has the same engine woudn't it get ehe same mileage?

yep, it is. one of the first (2000). But let us see, what the "common rail" has in common with economy driving. Going from 1:10 to 1:12 or 13?? Please owners, give us the data.

My point is that ford never will, or the last in block, to make a production model with leading edge economy.

Well, they did with the Focus Diesel (bit of a rarity, but still) and of course the new ranger; there they really addressed the fuel economy and torque issues.

Also, for the Ranger, keep in mind that Ford has very little to do with the design; it's a Mazda truck so you might as well rant at Mazda for the previous model's fuel & torque troubles on the 2.5 turbo engine.

still waiting for data. The common rail might be better, but how much better? No need to quote the brochure values here as that is usually waaaay overstated.

I do not complain about torque issues. My old ranger is doing fine (except twice having the hydraulic clutch line replaced). It is just drinking like an expat!

My girlfriend has a 1.5 l Yaris 2007 model and she gets an average 11km/l in city traffic and 13 on highway. She's pretty happy with the performance of the car.

Tompa,

She happy with it?About 20 years ago a vw golf would do 18 km to the liter.I thought technology should have made some progress since then.

Edited by basjke

Boy oh boy, I have a D-max 3 litre space cab 2 wheel drive (not the new common rail model) and I get 12.5 to 13 kilometres per litre. The air con is always on and mostly high. I drive in Issan and almost always 10 plus kilometres each trip, but wow I sure seem to be getting better milage than most of you folks with the mini cars. Why don't the car companies use diesel in all their cars? Issangeorge.

I've heard this but having not driven one, I don't know whether fuel economy has been sacrificed for performance ?

All I know is that my truck would not get 13km/L falling off a cliff ! though I have achieved near 13 when stuck in convoy to Buriram for miles and miles at speeds far less than I would normally do. Also, I don't have the back of the truck covered which must be a major aerodynamic drag at speed ?

The back of my truck is not covered and I am sure if it was my mileage would improve. The 13 kilometres per litre comes from keeping the speed around 100 sometimes 120. I once had a trip back from Phuket when I was loaded down with a lot of stuff in the back, a lot of it sticking up and causing drag and I was going about 140 most of the way, during that trip my mileage was about 8.5 kilometres per litre. Issangeorge