'miss' Or 'mrs' :

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: June 7th 2008

MISS OR MRS" PATTAYA WOMEN DO NOT SEEM TO CARE

Due to the Legislation Act 2008 has declared on June 4, that any women who were married or divorced would be able to change their titles from "Mrs" to "Miss", Pattaya Daily News reporter had observed at Banglamung district, Pattaya, and found that there were only 25 women who actually had changed their titles.

Pattaya – at Banglamung district, on June 6, 2008, was the 3rd day after the Legislation Act 2008 has allowed women to change their titles in front of their names. Mr. Amnaj Jaruensri, assistant district officer, head of I.D. card and register of Banglamung district revealed that since the Legislation Act has been declared on June 4, up to June 6, there were only 25 women who had changed their titles from "Mrs" to "Miss". Most of them were married women and divorced. Only small number of women are still married and had changed their titles to "Miss"

Mr. Amnaj explained that this Legislation Act was a modification of Name Legislation Act (Issue 3) which was declared in June 2005, that married women could choose to use her own surnames or her husband's surname. For those who were already registered as "Mrs" and would like to change back to use "Miss" are also allowed either they are still married or divorced.

"Local women can request to change their titles and get their new I.D. Cards right away in Bamglamung District office. For those who come from other districts, they would get a certificate, as the evidence to change their title and renew their ID. Card at their home town." Mr.Amnaj added.

Miss Penjan Prakorbpol (Kare pasak), a newly -wed woman, had expressed her feeling about the new Legislation Act that "Women have more rights to choose their titles. I had chosen to use a title as "Miss" after marriage because there is nothing certain in the future and a divorce could happen any time. But for the surname, I had chosen to use my husband's surname. Besides, my children are going to use my husband's surname as well because he is the father."

Mr. Nikorn Prakorbpol, the husband, said that "It is good that men and women have the equal rights. Women have their rights to choose what they want. Personally, I could careless whether my wife would use "Miss" or "Mrs". It is up to her."

Another unidentified married and divorced woman said that "I do not feel anything. I personally think that this Legislation Act is good for women who have been divorced and they could have the rights to change or not to change their titles. But if they are still married and living with their husbands, then they should use the title as "Mrs" so that they would realize that they are married women." She was also questioned about the demand of this Legislation Act because some married women were kept from getting a job and she replied that "Actually it is good to show that they are "Mrs" because it is also showing that they have maturity. Anyone who are more mature, should get a higher position."

"Even though I have been married and divorced, but I would not change my title to "Miss". I have accepted that I had registered for a marriage. I don't need to change back to use "Miss". It depends on what you think. Once you are married, you are Mrs. If you don't want to be a Mrs., then you should not register the marriage in the first place" Unidentified woman added.

Well, according to the Thailand News Clippings article on the same matter, over 1,000 women in Bkk applied on the first day. Apparently 341 of those were women that were getting married that day (and still wanted to be known as "Miss").

Guess the girls in Pattaya just haven't got the word yet. Perhaps if the article were to be posted in certain "popular" areas around town, the number of women applying would increase (dramatically) ! :o

Well, according to the Thailand News Clippings article on the same matter, over 1,000 women in Bkk applied on the first day. Apparently 341 of those were women that were getting married that day (and still wanted to be known as "Miss").

Guess the girls in Pattaya just haven't got the word yet. Perhaps if the article were to be posted in certain "popular" areas around town, the number of women applying would increase (dramatically) ! :o

Nah, just a short article in the gossip magazines would cover 95% of the female population (too long and it would be ignored unless they include soapy star in the article).

Nah, just a short article in the gossip magazines would cover 95% of the female population (too long and it would be ignored unless they include soapy star in the article).

But what if 94% of the women reading that article are "soapy stars" themselves (you know what I mean) !! :o

I could use a "soapy star" right now. I feel dirty. :D (and hot, dry and dusty too, but that's different !)

I personally think it should be the womans choice. 'Ms' is pretty good imo, because it is ambiguous. I believe a person should not need to declare their marital status in their name if there is no need for it and they do not wish to. 'Mr' can imply single or married, i think women should have the equivalent.

If men would like a name that displays their marital status, then create a petition! :D Im all for equal opportunities in our lives, if it makes us happy :o