Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

I don't know if it's the best, but I always enjoy  going to the one at Phala Beach - I don't know what they call it, it's at the 'T' junction of the beach road and the road up towards Sukhumvit. It's just plastic chairs and tablecloths under the trees, but (if it's not too windy) the view of the Samaesan peninsula and islands is great, and their seafood is as good as any I've had in the area.

Ruam Chomson, the best by far and not on the beach. 

They used to be about 2/3rds down Phala road on the right in a nice wooden style building, now they have moved into their own new building. 

The new building is about 300m before you come to the old one, down a small soi on the left.

Price wise they are the same as all the rest but the quality is far superior.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LennyW said:

They used to be about 2/3rds down Phala road on the right in a nice wooden style building, now they have moved into their own new building. 

The new building is about 300m before you come to the old one, down a small soi on the left.

Lenny to the rescue again.

Do I turn right or left at the roundabout?

Many thanks.

8 hours ago, Jessi said:

Lenny to the rescue again.

Do I turn right or left at the roundabout?

Many thanks.

Not as far as the roundabout, if you are coming from Tesco past the international schools, then it is not far on your left, small soi, once you are in the small soi it is about 50m cant miss it. 

Or Check out their facebook page, there is a map and current phone number on there. It appears i mispronounced the name LOL!!! :-) 

https://www.facebook.com/เรือนชมจันทร์-Ruan-Chomchan-Seafood-Restaurant-1205425806238450/

Edited by LennyW

On 6/23/2017 at 11:10 AM, Jessi said:

Which is the best seafood restaurant in Ban Chang these days.

Serious question as I have to take Mrs Jessi out for dinner (Her Birthday)

Many thanks.

i like the new hotel restaurant on the airport, entrance on phala road, coming from sukumvit, on the right just before 'euro curry'

13 hours ago, LennyW said:

Not as far as the roundabout, if you are coming from Tesco past the international schools, then it is not far on your left, small soi, once you are in the small soi it is about 50m cant miss it. 

Or Check out their facebook page, there is a map and current phone number on there. It appears i mispronounced the name LOL!!! :-) 

https://www.facebook.com/เรือนชมจันทร์-Ruan-Chomchan-Seafood-Restaurant-1205425806238450/

Thanks Lenny I check out their F.B page and it looks OK.

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

i like the new hotel restaurant on the airport, entrance on phala road, coming from sukumvit, on the right just before 'euro curry'

Thanks steve

What new hotel? I will have a look for it.

Many thanks.

5 hours ago, Jessi said:

Thanks steve

What new hotel? I will have a look for it.

Many thanks.

if you go to phala beach and walk towards the airport the hotel and separate restaurant is there almost on the beach,  the entrance is 2kilos back along phala road towards sukumvit road they have made an entrance in the perimeter wall. good service and good prices

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

if you go to phala beach and walk towards the airport the hotel and separate restaurant is there almost on the beach,  the entrance is 2kilos back along phala road towards sukumvit road they have made an entrance in the perimeter wall. good service and good prices

Called Serene Phla, it was built by the Navy, part of it is a training school for Navy recruits.

Very nice location with a great view and nice building, the staff speak perfect English, good selection of wine but poor selection of beer, unfortunately the food is nothing special which is a shame.

It sometimes closes with no notice, especially if it is holding private parties for Bangkok Hi-so's!! :-), which it tends to do quite often.

Edited by LennyW

My nomination for top seafood restaurant in Ban Chang is Ban Bai Boon on Hat Nam Rin. The food is exceptional, I would say equal to a quality restaurant in Bangkok. It's a little bit pricey. The service is fantastic. You can take your own wine and they will charge corkage. You MUST pre book, you can't just wander in off the street. If you call them they will send you a PDF of the menu. AS you must pre book quite often I've been with my wife and we have the restaurant to ourselves and they literally close the gate after us when we arrive.

• 1 month later...

I tried Chuan Chim on Sunday afternoon (used to be the Flower Garden) on the Sukhumvit opposite the big PTT garage. We ordered prawn cakes, grilled beef, yam moo, gaeng liang, vegetable dipping and rice and I had a couple of beers. The bill was just over 1000 baht and the food was fantastic. I went at about 4pm so it was empty so I don't know what the quality is like when it's busy, but I was really impressed with the quality and value.

• Like 2

My nomination for top seafood restaurant in Ban Chang is Ban Bai Boon on Hat Nam Rin. The food is exceptional, I would say equal to a quality restaurant in Bangkok. It's a little bit pricey. The service is fantastic. You can take your own wine and they will charge corkage. You MUST pre book, you can't just wander in off the street. If you call them they will send you a PDF of the menu. AS you must pre book quite often I've been with my wife and we have the restaurant to ourselves and they literally close the gate after us when we arrive.

Can you give details on how to find this place

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, banchang said:

Can you give details on how to find this place

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you go down on to Nam Rin beach and turn to your left about 100m along the beach you will see it wooden steps up to it , looks a bit like a house, as said above it is only open for bookings, no walk in, we have taken clients there in the past and the food and service was good.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, longball53098 said:

I guess the Beaver Bar has closed it doors since yesterday. I for one will miss the place.

Not closing, just moving premises a few doors up to the "Bottoms Up" location. Will be open again there soon.

On 6/24/2017 at 1:54 PM, LennyW said:

Thanks Lenny,

Finally got to try the Ruam Chomson and its by far the best seafood restaurant in Ban Chang. The food was 9/10, Service 9/10, price was OK, 700B for two very hungry people  the location is a bit of a let down but cant have everything. It will become a regular place for Mrs Jessi & self.

Many thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, RoyDee said:

He's a clever and active guy and wish him luck.

Certainly do. The other guy was as welcoming as Basil Fawlty.

Along the road, the Lord Nelson has picked up a bit. It's now mostly run by the big guy's daughter, a charming little lady  born and bred in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2017 at 11:23 AM, huangnon said:

^Was busy last night. :smile: Little gem of a place really.

Same last Friday. Quite a few families with children. You can have a meal and the kids don't get bored.  They have a chef and waitress plus some extra people helping out. Of course Tom is the main act. Before, during and after the fire show. It's hard not to like the guy. Anyways, if you are not too fond of kids, check the place out on another day (not Friday). For a romantic setting or just having a drink. A big thumbs up and good luck to Tom and his team.

I've been to the Thai restaurant opposite the PTT on the Sukhumvit recently, it used to be called the Flower Garden, it now has new owners and has been renamed (can't remember the name). The food is fantastic and the prices are very reasonable. The quality used to be a bit variable when the large lady owned it now it seems spot on.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, Jessi said:

Thanks Lenny,

Finally got to try the Ruam Chomson and its by far the best seafood restaurant in Ban Chang. The food was 9/10, Service 9/10, price was OK, 700B for two very hungry people  the location is a bit of a let down but cant have everything. It will become a regular place for Mrs Jessi & self.

Many thanks.

After giving a good report about this restaurant I returned today with Mrs Jessi for lunch.

I will not be going back again.

In defence of Ruan Chomchan, I've been going there since the place opened in the previous location about 3 years and in general my meals have been excellent. My meals for 2 people generally average about 1400 Baht and the quality is at the top of what you get in Ban Chang. When they have made mistakes I've let the owner know and they have been rectified. I remember once I had asked them to save some of my curry and the chef accidentally threw it out and they cooked a whole new batch up for me to take home.

13 hours ago, Jessi said:

I am not allowed to say because of the defamation laws here.

As an anonymous poster on an English-language web forum, I don't think anyone will be suing you for defamation. I doubt the owners log on here, anyway. If you have a criticism, please state why..

As an aside, went to the new location last week, and thought the food and service was very good. Certainly a step up from the over-priced Romson, these days.